Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

If Only - Help needed for an indie game

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Potixhe polycounter lvl 2
Hey!

I've been working on my game project for over a year and a half now but i never had enough people to help me with it, that's why I'm writing this thread. 

The game is a 3D stealth anime style game about a 24 year old woman who one day found her brother shot in the head when coming back from work. She then decides to infiltrate his school, disguised as a teenager student to invistigate and possibly find the murderer, but she has to maintain the reputation of a normal schoolgirl to not lit up doubts or suspicionsand to not get expelled from the school.

If you'd like to learn more, here is a game design document : https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/425720859659993088/437308959095914498/If_Only_GDD.pdf

Now, what we need are motivated and active people :
-3D modellers, that can model props or outfits/hairstyles (etc...) for characters. They should be able to texture their models and in anime cell shaded style. Here are some examples of the game's style : https://sta.sh/24j9vzx05p1
-Animators, that animate with Maya.
-Illustrators or concept artists, that can draw characters with good proportions, or rooms. 
-And pixel artists to help us make the sprites for the pixelated mini-games.

If you're wondering "who would help for free?", here's my answer :
-People that want a solid portfolio (contributing to a project helps)
-Students in one of those domains, that want to improve,
-Or simply people that have time and want to contribute to a project for fun.

Also, if the game gets sold eventually, we'll share the revenues..

If you're interested, please contact me through mails at potixhe@hotmail.com, or on discord at Poth#2256.
Thank youf for reading this and I hope you'd be interested!

Replies

• Vollgaser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vollgaser polycounter lvl 7
    So you are looking for a whole team of people working for free for you. This is not gonna happen.
  • Potixhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vollgaser said:
    So you are looking for a whole team of people working for free for you. This is not gonna happen.
    First, Hello?
    Second, unless i’m bipolar I remember mentioning that the revenues will be shared.
    Third, a lot of games have a team of volunteers working for free for the games, like Yandere Simulator for instance, and it doesn’t seem to bother anyone. 
    Next time pass your way if you aren’t interested instead of commenting useless things.
  • DavidCP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCP null
    While I don't share in the view of Vollgaser, it is very important for a project lead to have at least one of the core skills needed for a game in this context. Volunteer based projects have very fluctuating teams. The reason this is important is to ensure the game's progress can go on (albeit slowly) even if most or all of the team is busy with other parts of their lives. Creating an awesome video game is a really big project that can take years for a small (< 20 people) team and you will need something to help motivate people to keep helping since money isn't an option. Human nature and all that.

Speaking from experience having volunteered with 3D Modeling on volunteer projects, people like to see progress before they will join a project. Some indication that the amount of effort will lead somewhere if they join. Showcasing active work gives people a sense of direction since most volunteer projects fail before they even take off.

That and not everyone can lead a project of sufficient people. I've seen plenty of ambitious people who have no leadership and planning skills to speak of. Having some sort of example of your leadership for a project helps a ton in getting volunteers. :-)
  • Potixhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCP said:
    While I don't share in the view of Vollgaser, it is very important for a project lead to have at least one of the core skills needed for a game in this context. Volunteer based projects have very fluctuating teams. The reason this is important is to ensure the game's progress can go on (albeit slowly) even if most or all of the team is busy with other parts of their lives. Creating an awesome video game is a really big project that can take years for a small (< 20 people) team and you will need something to help motivate people to keep helping since money isn't an option. Human nature and all that.

Speaking from experience having volunteered with 3D Modeling on volunteer projects, people like to see progress before they will join a project. Some indication that the amount of effort will lead somewhere if they join. Showcasing active work gives people a sense of direction since most volunteer projects fail before they even take off.

That and not everyone can lead a project of sufficient people. I've seen plenty of ambitious people who have no leadership and planning skills to speak of. Having some sort of example of your leadership for a project helps a ton in getting volunteers. :-)
    Hey, thanks a lot for commenting and pointing out your point of you, it helps.
    In deed we have a development blog where we will often post updates, I totally get yoiur point of view and I 100% agree with you. 

I plan on opening a youtube channel where we can put videos of the game’s development, which is something that people do a lot nowadays I noticed.

Thank you for commenting.
  • DavidCP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCP null
    The absolute minimum for a game development team to operate smoothly and within a reasonable timeframe to completion is the following:

2 Hardsurface Modelers.
    2 Character/Organic Modelers
    2 Animators.
    1 Art director (decides the overall look and manages the art team)
    1 Musician.
    2 Concept Artists.
    1 Story Writer.
    1 Project Manager (oversees everything and makes the final call)
    2 Programmers.

Getting 14 people to volunteer work on a project is much harder than it sounds. If you are getting remote volunteers, schedule two meetings a week. Even if a part of the team doesn't have any updates at that time, it gives them the opportunity to ask questions if needed. Avoid major timezone differences. Trying to coordinate the day/night cycle is almost impossible for a team of any notable size. Not to mention potential language barriers.
  • Potixhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCP said:
    The absolute minimum for a game development team to operate smoothly and within a reasonable timeframe to completion is the following:

2 Hardsurface Modelers.
    2 Character/Organic Modelers
    2 Animators.
    1 Art director (decides the overall look and manages the art team)
    1 Musician.
    2 Concept Artists.
    1 Story Writer.
    1 Project Manager (oversees everything and makes the final call)
    2 Programmers.

Getting 14 people to volunteer work on a project is much harder than it sounds. If you are getting remote volunteers, schedule two meetings a week. Even if a part of the team doesn't have any updates at that time, it gives them the opportunity to ask questions if needed. Avoid major timezone differences. Trying to coordinate the day/night cycle is almost impossible for a team of any notable size. Not to mention potential language barriers.

When I said in my first message I didn’t have « enough people to help me with the game » it didin’t mean I didn’t have any person in my team at all.
    I already have 2 Hardsurface modelers, 2 organic modelers,
    no animators but we are using animations from the unity asset store as placeholders 
    1 coder
    1 art leader 
    1 composer
    numerous concept artists
    multiple story writers
    21 voice actors
    and no game manager, but I have most of the things you wrote which I assume is a good thing?

Now I’m looking for people that will help me with the project to bring it to completetion. I myself as a modeler understand the fact that not much people will work for a project that doesn’t have anything to show that will convince them to work on it. But we have quite lots of things to show at this point and lots of things are in the work. The fact is, the kind of project we’re planing is too hard for such a small team.

Thank you for taking the time to answer me.
  • Potixhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to tell but here's our development blog where we often post progress reports https://ifonlydevelopment.wordpress.com/
  • rafastrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rafastrip polycounter lvl 4
    I ve been working for unfinished games.... I used to work , colaborate with people via skype, but  I stopped , now I prefer to work with no more than 5 people from my city or province ,  and it is very necessary to find a manager , or  diplomatic guy who coordinates everything, for a long long proyect ,  generate many stress...   and when stress comes , individual things and stuff can appears, it is all right, everyone must their own posture and rights...but carefull... there are many wolves under sheep skin.... just take people who really want to work with pasition , and make a strong deadline to not frustrate people , be a leader not tyrane , special when it is free and colaborate with others.
  • Potixhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rafastrip said:
    I ve been working for unfinished games.... I used to work , colaborate with people via skype, but  I stopped , now I prefer to work with no more than 5 people from my city or province ,  and it is very necessary to find a manager , or  diplomatic guy who coordinates everything, for a long long proyect ,  generate many stress...   and when stress comes , individual things and stuff can appears, it is all right, everyone must their own posture and rights...but carefull... there are many wolves under sheep skin.... just take people who really want to work with pasition , and make a strong deadline to not frustrate people , be a leader not tyrane , special when it is free and colaborate with others.
    Hey, thanks for commenting. 

Thanks for the advices, It actually helps, but I know most of those things already.
  • oraeles77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
    hey sorry to interrupt everyone's arguing. if I had an 'amazing' idea for a game, without sharing it without people who could plagarise it etc, how do you actually recruit other volunteers to collaborate with while not letting the cat out the bag?

also where is a good place to find idle programmers?

• Potixhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 said:
    hey sorry to interrupt everyone's arguing. if I had an 'amazing' idea for a game, without sharing it without people who could plagarise it etc, how do you actually recruit other volunteers to collaborate with while not letting the cat out the bag?

Maybe create a new post where you can ask that.
  • oraeles77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
    Potixhe said:
    oraeles77 said:

Maybe create a new post where you can ask that.
    maybe so. but do you have any suggestions to my question?
  • Potixhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We're still looking for new members if some of you are interested.