Offline / Send Message
priderice triangle

Major Project - Bachelor Project

Workflow optimization: ZBrush to 3D Print

For my Bachlor Project i planned to do:

- an Anatomy Study for my 3D Modell
- 3D Printable Modell/Character
- Workflow analysis

I want to document my own progression and i am also grateful for any input and critism!
Hopefully i can also give some Tips and Tricks on my way.

Week 1

Skull - Blocking out and rough sketch

For an easy start, use the included Grid.zpr Project in the Zbrush Lightbox folder.
Make sure that you toggle off the perspective view, so you can trace the skull from the Reference picture. For more on-screen References i use "PureRef" which is a free program that stays on top of other applications.

To edit your References and and the opacity of your mesh go to:

-Draw
  -Front-Back....
to change references 

- Draw
  -Modifiers
    -Enhance Opacity
After i got the basic proportions of the skull, i removed the Reference in Zbrush. I seperated the Skull into 4 different meshes. I blocked out the basic shapes and sketched the major parts of the skull. Mostly i used the 

-Move/Move Topological Brush for shaping 
-inflate, to thicken
-Clay, to build up mass layer by layer

First i sketched the important landmarks of the skulls: Orbital Cavaties, Glabellla, Zygonic bone and Nasal Bone. With the help of the Book: 

The Artist's Guide to the Anatomy of the Human Head - 3dtotalpublishing

also i merged the parts into only 2 separate mashes, which is better for detailing

Replies

• priderice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    priderice triangle

Week 2

Face- Muscles, Blocking out the rough patches of the muscles and aligning them to the Bone Structure. Mostly I inserted a sperate Tool ( Sphere, Zylinder..) for each Muscle and deformed them with the Move brush or the transpose/transform Gizmo.
    after that, I named every muscle, sometimes with shortened Latin names.

In a separate Scene, I carved the eye cavity out so that I can build around it.
    The common mistake in modeling eyes is, that many people underestimate the thickness of the Skin/Eyelids.  
    Brushes:
    Move-Topology, ClayBuildUp, Clay, Inflate, h-polish

One Problem I faced after I inserted the Pupile into the Eye, was that the Eyelids were way to "open" and they did not align with the pupils. So for the next time, you should leave there a Sphere inside while Modelling the Eyelids!

• priderice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    priderice triangle

Week 3

I used the Move/Topological Move Brushes to roughly shape the Bonestructure to the liking of Christian Bale. Before I shaped everything, I merged every Tool together, it is important to retain the separate Polygroups, so that you can use the Topological Move Brush more effectively.

I formed the Neck and the Chest so that can Fill out the empty Space between the Bones. 

For the Skin itself, I masked Bones and Muscel and extracted the whole Face. I only had to keep the Eyes out.

I modelled the Ears as a separate Tool so that I have more control over the Mesh. Also, I could use this Tool for other Projects in the Future

I simply attached the Ears to the sides of the Skull and Merged them. 

The Skin still needed to be moved into Shape. For a quick preview, I changed the Material and masked the Hairline. To get the Skin into the shape I used the Move and Clay Buildup Tool. 

• priderice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    priderice triangle

Week 5

Move, Pinch and Clay with 

Phil Amelung

After I tried to get the right proportions and facial characteristics, I was not satisfied. So that is why i asked a professional Artist/Tutor Phil Amelung (https://schiefer.artstation.com/). In a short time he pointed out some flaws and missing Volume on my Head. First, he noticed that my Eyeballs did not match the size of the Face.

The rule is that there should be enough space for a 3rd Eyeball in between the eyes.

• priderice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    priderice triangle
  • priderice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    priderice triangle
    Week 6

Started to Sculpt the Body 

• priderice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    priderice triangle

Week 7

The Foot was one of the hardest parts of the Body. The Foot is has a complex Shape and is almost impossible to model right without proper Reference.

For a quick posing, I used a ZSphere Rig ( Zplugin - Transpose Master - Lowest SubDiv - TPoseMesh - ZSphere Rig).
    Obviously, I had to fix the Mesh after Moving the Limbs

• priderice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    priderice triangle

Week X

After several Weeks I revisited the Human Head and refined it.