Home Technical Talk

AMD Thread Ripper & Marvelous designer?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
Looking to upgrade my CPU for a better workstation experience; Trying to figure out if its worth just getting an i7-8700 or looking into a threadripper. I use my GPU for most of my rendering currently, so the biggest CPU eater that I use frequently would be marvelous designer. I've heard theres been issues with getting a lot of cores to populate marvelous designer, but does that remain an issue? Would love to hear if anyone has any experience with this.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-TR-1920X-vs-Intel-Core-i7-8700K/3934vs3937

Replies

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I've also been thinking about between AMD's Threadripper CPUs and Intel's CPUs. But Intel's next 9th generation i9-9900K 8c/16t and AMD's new Threadripper model 2920x is coming soon, so I'd wait for their benchmarks first... if you can be just a tad more flexible with your 400€ budget (I'm just assuming from the price range with these CPUs you mentioned), since those previously mentioned CPUs will cost a bit more, but they should be falling under 1000€ though.
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've also been thinking about between AMD's Threadripper CPUs and Intel's CPUs. But Intel's next 9th generation i9-9900K 8c/16t and AMD's new Threadripper model 2920x is coming soon, so I'd wait for their benchmarks first... if you can be just a tad more flexible with your 400€ budget (I'm just assuming from the price range with these CPUs you mentioned), since those previously mentioned CPUs will cost a bit more, but they should be falling under 1000€ though.
    Interesting because the benchmarks for the next step ups are from $400s (The ones I pasted in benchmark)  to 1000's for intel and 700ish for AMD; So I can flex a bit on AMD but not so much on intel. I'd be surprised if the i9 falls under $1000, or if you can get hands on it easily when it does come out at first.. Probably will be a bit of time like usual before its easy for consumers to grab? I haven't really bought tech when it first drops, but I always read about the difficulties people have on getting things!

I hope they do, but I am aiming to try this new build around cyber monday/black friday time. Not sure they'll arrive by then q.q

From my research so far though, I think the intel cpu is going to match my plans a bit more than the AMD; Its a big boost in cpu processing power, and still enabled me to explore VR-related things better than AMD TR is said to :\
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose said:
    I've heard theres been issues with getting a lot of cores to populate marvelous designer, but does that remain an issue? Would love to hear if anyone has any experience with this.
    I don't have personal experience, but if MD isn't particularly efficient with many cores, the 8700K is an easy choice, as that's one of the very best per-core performance CPUs on the market, and it's very good overall at a decent price. To get significantly faster you really have to go to 8, 12, 16 cores, and of course, you'll only see a real-world difference if your app of choice can efficiently thread all of those cores.

So you can wait for new info about the soon to be released CPUs (which will have more cores), but it's fairly reasonable to assume that the biggest perf improvement vs the 8700K will come from the extra cores rather than better per-core efficiency (if they are even better at all). So figuring out how well threaded your apps are is really key here.

An easy way to test how efficiently an app threads is to open the task manager, go to the performance section and watch the CPU graphs. Close all of your apps other than the app you want to test, and then do something taxing in that app. What you want to see is a full load on all threads/cores. If you're only seeing the first 1 or 2 threads maxed out, the app isn't optimized for multi-core usage.

Generally speaking, these CPUs with ridiculous core counts are most beneficial when you're doing a lot of parallel work, like offline rendering work or running a server or something along those lines.
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose said:
    I've heard theres been issues with getting a lot of cores to populate marvelous designer, but does that remain an issue? Would love to hear if anyone has any experience with this.
    I don't have personal experience, but if MD isn't particularly efficient with many cores, the 8700K is an easy choice, as that's one of the very best per-core performance CPUs on the market, and it's very good overall at a decent price. To get significantly faster you really have to go to 8, 12, 16 cores, and of course, you'll only see a real-world difference if your app of choice can efficiently thread all of those cores.

So you can wait for new info about the soon to be released CPUs (which will have more cores), but it's fairly reasonable to assume that the biggest perf improvement vs the 8700K will come from the extra cores rather than better per-core efficiency (if they are even better at all). So figuring out how well threaded your apps are is really key here.

An easy way to test how efficiently an app threads is to open the task manager, go to the performance section and watch the CPU graphs. Close all of your apps other than the app you want to test, and then do something taxing in that app. What you want to see is a full load on all threads/cores. If you're only seeing the first 1 or 2 threads maxed out, the app isn't optimized for multi-core usage.

Generally speaking, these CPUs with ridiculous core counts are most beneficial when you're doing a lot of parallel work, like offline rendering work or running a server or something along those lines.
    According to some googling I've been doing the 8700k is supposedly going to start climbing in price :| 

Thanks for the tip, I'll try testing out my cpu on some apps and see what might benefit me more!

I think rather than thread ripper I might need to be comparing i7 to Ryzen, Since they are more similar (And this changes the pricepoints quite dramatically..). Since TR is more like x299.. And since this is multipurpose Threadripper with a TON Of less powerful cores might be bad for other uses.
    Between the two I think price will have the most influence; since both are going to be decent upgrades. 4 core to 6/8 core etc.. Honestly just want MD to work smoother for me... :D