Home Technical Talk

[SOLVED] Maya, distorted uv after scaling

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
Hey!
I am new to maya, but i watch alot tutorials here and there, but i coulnd makes thinks clear about that:

When i add a primitive cube and look at the uv i see this:

now say i want to have "flat box", so i scale the box in one axis, 
when i do so, the initial UV get squished together because of scaling the mesh:

i thought, no problem i will use the "Layout UV" but without luck....
do i have to eye-balling the scaling of the uv on the edge in the red circle?
Am i missing something crucial?

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    You could use unfold on the UVs. But first you would need to use 'freeze transformations' under 'Modify' to reset the scale on the transform. 
  • RS7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RS7 polycounter lvl 3
    Under the tool menu, move settings tab there is "preserve UVs" tickbox. Enable this, select vertex and move or scale. UV should follow the shape of the object. Somewhat. But overall, as a rule of thumb, you should do your UV's as a last step, when you have your final model done. If you nee to make major changes to the model, you need to UV the entire thing again.  At least the changed part. Use planar map - cut edges - unfold or any other basic UV method.

I don't think i've seen this dynamic UV scaling feature in any 3D package before. It would be a nice feature, tho
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
    You could use unfold on the UVs. But first you would need to use 'freeze transformations' under 'Modify' to reset the scale on the transform. 
    okayyyyy, "freeze transformations" and afterwards unfold again does indeed worked!
    What the hell is "freeze transformations" anyway? it just "resets the inner translate/rotate/scale-value to Zero", it doesn't freezes it anyhow?! :smile:
    RS7 said:
    I don't think i've seen this dynamic UV scaling feature in any 3D package before. It would be a nice feature, tho
    i thought so that UV's has to be the last step, it was just weird because i deleted the uvs after sclaing and unfold it again, but the uvs kept square, but fortunately it was "freeze transformations" which lead to proper results.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Freezing transforms applies those transforms to the components, then sets them to zero as you noted, as well as placing the object pivot back at the scene center. When you say, scale a cube out to a rectangular shape, the vertices of the model themselves go untouched, they're still cube-shaped, the scale transform happens one level up. Certain operations, like unfolding UVs look to the components directly.

When you start working on more models, or have to deal with exporting to other programs, freezing transforms will likely make more sense.