Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Unity] Dungeon Environment

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
Hey everyone!

Since my main experience is in Unreal, I wanted to diversify my portfolio by creating a scene in Unity and I thought whats better then a good old Dungeon scene :smiley:

So far I have blocked out the environment and starting going through a first pass of art and pretty happy so far.

For this I based it (loosely) on this concept by Aras Jamal:

Definitely looking for as much feedback as possible! Want to have a nice shiny image for the portfolio. I make weekly updates on my artstation is you want to follow there but I will be posting updates here too. https://www.artstation.com/mrasmoday/blog

Replies

• CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A problem I have encountered so far is the balancing of tones is off for the area that is done as you can see in black and white

It's really difficult because the dungeon is stone on stone on stone so trying to create variations that look different but fit nice is difficult so I'm not sure what to do about it. Any suggestions?
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has been waaaaaay too long since i last worked on this. Preparing to move lead to moving, led to settling in, led to World of Warcraft Expansion haha. But I am back to work now and I have replaced all the stone walls i did before. This way I think its miiiiiles better compared to what I was doing before so it was worth rethinking my approach. Will finish off all the walls that will be rough stone, then ill move onto mixing stone bricks into the remaining walls.

Artstation Update
  • MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    I love hoy it looks!! Good job!! Is it going to be playable? :smiley:

• CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love hoy it looks!! Good job!! Is it going to be playable? :smiley:

Thank you! :smiley: Unfortunately probably not, I actually don't know much about interactivity in Unity, I am more of a Unreal person. This is why i'm doing this in the first place though to become more familiar with Unity and diversify my skills. Sorry for the slow reply, I'm not sure how i missed this post haha

Another update on this weeks progress. All the rock walls are completed, as well as fleshed out some more detail in the stone slabs. The remaining walls and stairs will be stone brick to mix the natural and man made architecture. Looking forward to finishing this part so that all is left is propping and polish.

Artstation Update

• Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    really nice work so far, it has some great  height variation to it that you don't always see in dungeon environments, it would be nice to see some little bits of ore or gems in areas of the wall, also some material inside the minecart to show what they've been digging up would help add more backstory to this. Keep up the good work :)
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle said:
    really nice work so far, it has some great  height variation to it that you don't always see in dungeon environments, it would be nice to see some little bits of ore or gems in areas of the wall, also some material inside the minecart to show what they've been digging up would help add more backstory to this. Keep up the good work :)
    Thanks a lot! :smiley:
    I have been thinking about what would be good to detail the scene some more and bring some story once I have finished with the main architecture so that would be great idea (plus I have been thinking about what to fill the minecart with so perfect advice :wink:
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update though later than normal haha Added stone walls and such. At this point all the architecture is done to a first pass degree. Will prob work on the props next and add some more polish

ArtStation Update
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smaller update this week, what with the late update last week but got the remaining current props done. Now I just need to think of more polish that I can add to really finish it off. Will prob look into maybe adding those crystals, adding decals and thinking of props that will add some life into the scene.

Artstation Link
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Finally finished I think now that I fleshed it out with props! definitely happy with it in the end.

ArtStation Link