Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Orc Bust Critique

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ChrisTheArtist polycounter lvl 4
Tell me what you guys think about my orc bust. I had a lot of people tell me to work on the anatomy and even give me some recommendations and I kinda need work on it some more like some bone landmarks and flesh out his lips. I wanted to add teeth but I'm doing this by myself and I'm sort of self learning how to do things instead of waiting till I take the class for it because I'm just so hungry to learn how to do things. I came to the realization that there is till a lot I don't know so I make it my mission to step out of my comfort zone and branch out. tell me what you guys think.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    As a beginner, it may benefit you to start from a regular human first. Start from the bones -- actually sculpt a skull first, then layer on your muscles, and then finally the skin. By the time you finish, you'll have a solid understand of how the head is composed, so then modeling an orc is just a matter of taking that realistic human anatomy and distorting it. 

Working from a sketch like that will be a big challenge if you aren't already a seasoned artist. Perhaps finding a 3d model of an orc you like and trying to copy that more or less may be a more useful way to get in and practice the fundamentals without having to do too much translation bettween 2d to 3d.

Right now your sculpt is pretty solid, however there is some deviations from the concept, and it does show a lack of understanding of the underlying forms. 

btw, there is a guy on here with the screenname nimlot something or other. He's a real good artist and just made an awesome orc model and recorded most of the process on twitch. Look him up and browse his videos. It may be a bit fast if you are still learning zbrush UI and all that but it's always useful to watch how the more experienced artist are doing things.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Take figure drawing first, and/or do a master study of a human head.

You're not ready yet for this translation of rough sketch to final sculpt.  You'll get there in time.
  • ChrisTheArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisTheArtist polycounter lvl 4
    I took life drawing but I was never good at 2d tho for some reason I seem to get it down but i won’t use that for an excuse 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Even if you suck at drawing as much at the end of the class as when you finish, the really important thing to learn is how to observe the thing in a systematic way. That's the value of the fine arts study. I can't draw worth a shit either, but I took a few fundamental art classes at a local college and picked up some great techniques that help make sense of 2d references so you can turn them into 3d and avoid some errors. I still had some trouble in the beginning and still do make mistakes now, but that's usually because I rushed through and didn't use the techniques!