Home Technical Talk

HELP NEEDED: Looking for a great online creature sculpting class

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Lifelover polycounter lvl 9
Hi, guys! I've been looking for classes that teach sculpting creatures digitally in the vein of Simon Lee and  Skink Chen. It appeared to be quite the challenge to find such, so can anybody point me to any awesome tutor? 

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    I can think of few that you can check [some might be old and hard to find tho]
    Binary Divinity - Birth of Creature
    Creative Character Design Techniques with Neville Page
    Pluralsight - An Immortal Design Character Design Theory and Development
    Stan Winston School Creature Design - Jordu Schell
    Uartsy - Creature Sculpting with Jordu Schell
    Zbrushworkshop The Making of The Hunter by Jesse Sandifer
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Attending such sculpting classes is only a small part of becoming a good creature sculpter.
    All of the great creature sculpter are masters in insect and reptile anatomy.
    I would start with sculpting real live insects first, to build up a mental library of those real creatures.
    If you dont have time to sculpt an insect a day start to draw them. You need to know how real animals work to design creatures.
    And you need many many ours of training. An online course wont help at all without practice.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    I find Arachnids the most challenging too draw, IMHO perhaps it's the eyes that are a particularly telling feature, like staring death in the face so lifeless and yet expressive at the same time - truly facinating creatures.
  • Lifelover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can think of few that you can check [some might be old and hard to find tho]
    Binary Divinity - Birth of Creature
    Creative Character Design Techniques with Neville Page
    Pluralsight - An Immortal Design Character Design Theory and Development
    Stan Winston School Creature Design - Jordu Schell
    Uartsy - Creature Sculpting with Jordu Schell
    Zbrushworkshop The Making of The Hunter by Jesse Sandifer
    Thanks a lot! :)
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    oglu said:
    to build up a mental library of those real creatures......
     .....You need to know how real animals work to design creatures.

This ^^^. 

The tutorials will get you started off right for sure. If you watch a lot of shows about creatures big and small, and then dive into further research from there, you'll never lack for inspiration and cool designs. 

Check out any of the great monsters in film history. They're usually based on some obscure organism(s) found right here on planet earth. So the great designers aren't working from pure imagination. They're more like Dr. Frankenstein, splicing together hideous creations from an assembly of parts.
  • PixelMasher
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Stan Winston school is very good, Jordu Schell is a boss tutor as well as entertaining. Also recommend John Brown from Gnomon
  • Lifelover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch said:
    Stan Winston school is very good, Jordu Schell is a boss tutor as well as entertaining. Also recommend John Brown from Gnomon
    Thanks, man! But aren't these tutors focused entirely on traditional sculpting, though?