Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Matrix - 3D Environment (WIP)

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
tythomas063 greentooth
Hello, everyone! 

Hope Y'all doing good! I'm currently working on the 3D environment project for my class at University. I want to push myself to make a bigger and complex environment project than the ones I made in past. So I chose this concept art by Matt Tkocz since I absolutely love Matrix! 

Right now, I made a lot of props by using face-weighted normal workflow so far. I'm planning to make a high poly of the chair to give its look of being worn out and minor tears. I also made the basic lighting but I believe I need to make some change especially the light where there are many monitors in the middle. 

Next thing I will be doing is to start making more textures and model a few more things including the desk and few other small things. Critiques of the modeling and lighting will be much appreciated!

Cheers! 

Replies

• Buchananball
    Offline / Send Message
    Buchananball polycounter lvl 6
    Solid blockout! Do make a point to plan out some modularity/toolkit stuff before you get too far into it, the more you can do the better. Post more soon!
  • tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    @Buchananball Thanks! I'm definitely planning to use the modular workflow for this project. I already created some of the modular props including the pipes(3 parts), floor and wall, panels, wires, and monitors( 3 parts ). That's pretty much what I can think of now for using modular workflow. Rest of the props are unique. 

Hello everyone. I created some textures for big props and created the lighting which took me a while to adjust it in Unity. Please let me know if there is any way I can improve on my lighting and main textures. 

Cheers! 

Edit: just updated the screenshot with changes I made recently today
  • JoshMcCann
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshMcCann polycounter lvl 2
    Looking nice.  One thing I noticed is that the edges on the sides of the screens look extra wide.
  • polygons
    Offline / Send Message
    polygons polycounter lvl 4
    if youre trying to match the reference as best you can I think that the colors of your scene right now are looking more purple than teal. Its probably the color of the lights. Yours still has a nice feel to it as well though its just upto what you want.  I think the reference also has a fish eye kind of lens on the camera. 
  • tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    @JoshMcCann Thanks! I agree and I just fixed the side of the monitors to make it smaller. I'm still making it little thick that fits the reference I posted below. 

@polygons Thanks! The color of the lights was something that I have been struggling with so far haha. I agree and I'm trying to adjust it to be more of teal/blue. Does this look better now or? 

I actually have been trying to find out how to add that fisheye effect to the camera but I cannot find out how to do that. Post progress stack doesn't have the fisheye effect. I'm still going to try to find the way to add that since I want that effect. 

Just added more textures to the props! I also made some changes to the lighting which I'm still adjusting it so far. 

Cheers! 

• tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    Updated the textures and few props! Still editing the post process stack with color grading which I'm not completely happy with it yet.  I also found out a way to add the fisheye effect. 

Cheers! 

• tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    More textures for other props including the chair(the one that's close to the camera), bed, and door. I also adjusted the lighting which is getting there close. I gotta make some blue monitor because there is too much green in this scene. 

Any critiques will be very much appreciated. Cheers! 

• tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    More textures updated. Changed some of the monitors.  Let me know what you think. Critiques will be much more appreciated. 

Part of me feels something is missing or off with this scene. Probably because of the monitors or?  Should I remove the green codes to be more similar to the concept art? 

Overall, I'm still pretty happy how this scene turned out. 

Edit: changed the screenshots with an improvement of the lighting.