Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anamorphic SYS [Character]

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 5
Hey there!
Today I will finally overcome myself, and post my process on my first ever character.
I planned to make the whole process from high poly sculpting from a concept art to retopology to uv, so that i will be usable as a gameready model.
I am very excited and also full of fear since I'm still pretty inexperienced..

The concept art i will try to complete is from David Benzal, and this is the concept i choose.
Out of respect for the artists, I asked him if this would be okay if i can try to model his character.

So enough chitchat, this is m current stage:

Alot details missing here, but of course i first try to get the base right.
Thats it for today!

Replies

• goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anamorphic SYS, Update #1

Worked out the head a little bit more...

Gave him some cool boots

also gave him some gloves, was quite a bit a challange

I am happy with the overall progress

• goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Finished with the modeling ...

and than retopologized,unwrapped and prepared the uvs for texturing th mesh

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    The jacket needs more prominent micro wrinkles that you're missing from the concept.
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi
    You are actually right! I will get this better right before diving to deep into the progress, thanks!
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Also I don't believe he's wearing a head covering mask. Its only the mouth apparatus fused to the skull.
    And he has hair and bands, or just more bands at the back of his head.
    Also could you show use the base mesh on which you're building the clothing.
    I think it needs better proportioning and definition.

• goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @NikhilR
    yes retrospectively i consider this as to less/little concept to flesh out a character based on one single image, so i did what i think i see he is wearing :)
    NikhilR said:

What exactly do you mean? The lowpoly mesh for the jacket? Or did you mean the "body" of it?
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    @NikhilR
    yes retrospectively i consider this as to less/little concept to flesh out a character based on one single image, so i did what i think i see he is wearing :)
    NikhilR said:

What exactly do you mean? The lowpoly mesh for the jacket? Or did you mean the "body" of it?
    Yes, the body underneath all the clothing elements.
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @NikhilR
    this was my basemesh, ignore the head ;)
    i think the proportions are good enough, but maybe you saw something i just overlooked?

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Hmm, it actually looks alright for a base mesh. I think the chest area could do with a bit more definition, the back muscles too.
    I will do a bit of photo manipulation and post in a bit. 
    And I noticed a major discrepancy. The costume in the concept is a 2 material/piece garment, a leather jacket that is stitched to a cloth (different material) skirt.
    You've made it one piece in your concept.
    The wrinkling and details in the jacket is very distinct from the skirt, also the skirt has pleats.
    The flaps/patches on the jacket need to be higher up, the belt thing on his belly seems to end a bit higher up too.
    Again if you're following the concept as a rough guide and creating your own interpretation, the design you have is fine, though the major selling point of the concept is the jacket + skirt ensemble.
    The detail and specularity between the parts adds a lot of character.
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @NikhilR
    i knew the blank body will never be visible, so no further steps in definition needed.
    NikhilR said:
    I will do a bit of photo manipulation and post in a bit. 
    Oh wow i can't wait to see it!

And I noticed a major discrepancy. The costume in the concept is a 2 material/piece garment, a leather jacket that is stitched to a cloth (different material) skirt.
    Hm i can't see it, maybe you mean the lower part of the jacket is a different material then the upper one?
    If so than the image is too little and inaccurate to count as a "usable" concept i guess?

The wrinkling and details in the jacket is very distinct from the skirt, also the skirt has pleats. The flaps/patches on the jacket need to be higher up, the belt thing on his belly seems to end a bit higher up too.
    you are totally right here! But Substance painter will expire so i will use it as is, BUT ...

@ everybody who contributes
     i WILL work in the suggestions which will posted here, so please dont get discouraged and dont hesitate to post other tips and great valuable advices.

Thanks alot in advanced!
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Hey,
    Hoping this is of some assistance,

Your current model is on the left, photo-manipulation on right.

I didn't get what you meant that substance painter will expire, how does that affect your sculpt?

About the lower part of the jacket, it seems like the artist was undecided on whether it continues as the jacket (same material) 
    or its stitched to the jacket (different material)
    I darkened in in the image above to illustrate what I meant.

Ultimately if it is an interpretation,you can definitely take several creative liberties. 
    Just thought I'd give some suggestions about what I noticed about the proportioning overall.
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @NikhilR hey this very useful! i never thought that something so "simple" could show what should be fixed, thanks alot!
    I appreciate it Nikhil!
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Happy to help, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
    Spotlight is great in zbrush to compare the current sculpt with the corrections in this image and make changes.
    I did modify the image of the sculpt to fit the perspective/rotation in the reference though.
    And thank you for sharing the reference, have two fellow artists to follow!  :D
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR said:
    Hey,
    Hoping this is of some assistance,

Your current model is on the left, photo-manipulation on right.

I didn't get what you meant that substance painter will expire, how does that affect your sculpt?

About the lower part of the jacket, it seems like the artist was undecided on whether it continues as the jacket (same material) 
    or its stitched to the jacket (different material)
    I darkened in in the image above to illustrate what I meant.

Ultimately if it is an interpretation,you can definitely take several creative liberties. 
    Just thought I'd give some suggestions about what I noticed about the proportioning overall.
    I just meant i will use this mesh now as it is and continue with the texturing before the trial of SP ends, so that i can once finish a whole process for game character ;)
    It is funny how different we read the concept because i thougt the jacket would just be one material, i agree with you it is like the artist was unsure of its material or he just has forgotten to fix it, i will at the moment just stay with one material ;)
    Thanks for your helpful input!
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just wanted to update my status :)
    texturing is finished for now

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I think you can push the texturing a lot further.
    Right now the colors look very flat and its difficult to know what material each is.
    And add a procedural grunge pass in substance so everything comes together.
    I still fell that correcting the proportions to match it to the reference would have done a lot to sell the character.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, and some wear and tear.
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @NikhilR @Brian "Panda" Choi
    hmm you think i should probably dont stick too much to the concept?
    i mean it is true, in the concept i can barely tell what is made out of what material, but maybe it was intentional?

i will overhaul this model based on all inputs i get here!
    I just "mark" this one as "learn all the important steps"-model, like how to:
    sculpt, retopo, bake, texture, rigging/skinning...

Because it is alot for a bloody beginner, i will leave the "squeeze the maximum out"-work like detailing the textures or redefining the basesculpt etc aside at the moment to finish my goal.

But please do not take this as a "i dont care about your input"  ;D

little offtopic here:
    what do you think, is it a good practice to show that the artist is able to model stuff based on a concept? i think for potential employer it is quit useful?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a requirement.
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Call this finished for the moment...like i said i will overhaul this model based on all inputs i get here!