Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hover Races - Corvette

Lukeman87
node
Hey friends. I've been working on a personal animation project with hopes of creating character stories and making episode shorts. The vehicle concepts revolve around the future when electric vehicles have taken over the world leaving old gasoline cars to the museums. People begin turning their old gas cars into electric racing vehicles. This is the first hover racer concept I created based on a 2016 Corvette, others are in the works.
I'm still playing with the Glow settings for the electricity and thrusters (a bit too much glow) and am wanting to detail the body with a bit more wear and tear but overall this the direction I'm looking to continue in. Any feedback or critiques are greatly appreciated. 
Let me know what you think!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What are you rendering in?
  • Lukeman87
    What are you rendering in?

I'm using 3ds max and mental ray

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    I recommend looking at car ads for ideas about composition. The way this is being displayed and how the emissive lighting is fighting for my attention over the car, this doesn't feel like the optimal presentation.
  • Lukeman87
    Hey friends. Posting an update on my material edits for the Hovervette exterior. I'm still playing with some certain material reflections and bump maps so some areas might look a little odd. Once I flesh out 100% of the materials and get my thruster and lightning FX looking solid I'll post a few more. Just wanted to post some progress!
    Let me know what you think!

• MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    Besides what Brian has already said, you are using a set of oversaturated colours that are all competing for my attention. There are more than 4 colours on your car!!!!The color scheme doesn't even make sense. I recommend you to first look into colour theory. Just changing those colours to ones that fit better with each other will greatly improve your work.

On the other hand, there are a lot of things on the side of the car that doesn't make sense as well:

1) This thing reduces the aerodynamics of the car.
    2) What are thins things?
    3)I suppose that these are some kind of force engines, but why so many??

• Lukeman87
    Besides what Brian has already said, you are using a set of oversaturated colours that are all competing for my attention. There are more than 4 colours on your car!!!!The color scheme doesn't even make sense. I recommend you to first look into colour theory. Just changing those colours to ones that fit better with each other will greatly improve your work.

On the other hand, there are a lot of things on the side of the car that doesn't make sense as well:
    https://ibb.co/c5BgTU

Hey Marco, thanks for for the feedback. The render at the top of the post might shed a little light on what you're missing from some of the parts' funtions. It's not supposed to be an actual car. The general concept is a hover racer using electricity to ground the vehicle and thrusters for directional control. "1" are bumpers side bumpers to provide protection against collisions with other racers, "2" are steps for the driver to climb the vehicle to reach the top hatch to the cockpit, "3" are directional control thrusters. 
    As for the colors, I suppose I did over saturate a bit now that I'm looking at it with fresh eyes. But the color scheme itself is triadic by definition. I'll try turning the vibrant reds to a burnt looking orange to compliment the blue a bit more. Thanks again!
  • Lukeman87

https://ibb.co/c5BgTU

Hey Marco, thanks for for the feedback. The render at the top of the post might shed a little light on what you're missing from some of the parts' funtions. It's not supposed to be an actual car. The general concept is a hover racer using electricity to ground the vehicle and thrusters for directional control. "1" are bumpers side bumpers to provide protection against collisions with other racers, "2" are steps for the driver to climb the vehicle to reach the top hatch to the cockpit, "3" are directional control thrusters. 
    As for the colors, I suppose I did over saturate a bit now that I'm looking at it with fresh eyes. But the color scheme itself is triadic by definition. I'll try turning the vibrant reds to a burnt looking orange to compliment the blue a bit more. Thanks again!
  • Simon_____
    Offline / Send Message
    Simon_____ polycounter lvl 5
    hi im not sure what your reference was, but when i first saw i got wipeout vibes
    take a look at these to help with the texturing side

i also noticed that the vehicle looks dirty and damaged, as it should from racing, however the engines/thrusters look like they have never been used, maybe add some heat temper and maybe some dirt/dust around the intakes 
  • MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    Simon_____  has the point here. Look the cars colors he has posted and compare them with yours. The colours and composition you have chosen makes your car look like a toy. Besides, I see more than three colors there... On the other hand, the control thrusters look randonmly placed.
  • Lukeman87
    Simon_____  I thank you for the references and feedback. I'll see if I can post a few updated renders here today.
  • Lukeman87
    I toned down the saturation and made the vibrant reds a more rustish-orange and added a bit more wear to the vents and the ends of the main thrusters. I still have a few more layers of wear I'd like to add. I also added the electricity and fire to the renders to present more of what the product as a whole would look like.

• ChrisFraser
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisFraser polycounter lvl 5
    Not sure what the end look is that you're going for but I would almost go back to the drawing board on your whole texturing plan for this thing. Not trying to be too harsh but the way its textured right now looks like someone coloured a piece of paper with a felt that was running out. Which is less than desirable I would think.

Take a close look at those wipeout examples. Vibrant colours that work together, crisp lines, etc... If you want real world examples look at Nascars and racing boats.
  • Lukeman87
    Not sure what the end look is that you're going for but I would almost go back to the drawing board on your whole texturing plan for this thing. Not trying to be too harsh but the way its textured right now looks like someone coloured a piece of paper with a felt that was running out. Which is less than desirable I would think.

Take a close look at those wipeout examples. Vibrant colours that work together, crisp lines, etc... If you want real world examples look at Nascars and racing boats.
    What areas exactly are you referring to? The scratches and wear n tear? The concept is a hover racing vehicle made from pieces of metal that has been through the ringer; it's not supposed to be ultra crisp or clean. 
  • Lukeman87
    I've been using Photoshop and for my textures. Would you recommend using another software?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Substance Painter or Mari.
  • viperthreon
    I think you might consider to use Valve technique to pick colour to their dota 2 model.
    Here's the link: https://support.steampowered.com/kb/9334-YDXV-8590/dota-2-workshop-character-art-guide