Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Final Weapons & Mechs for SYNTHETIK -- [img heavy]

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Shrike interpolator

So ive been working on Synthetik for about 3.5 years and after being finally released on steam a
couple months ago and totally neglecting my old thread, I think I post some of the assets ive
done here. I do game design and the art. We were 2 people, 3 now! 
For this game I also started with sound design  and programming. (Trailer at the end)

Here is how it looks - All is pre-rendered:

A bunch of the non-humanoid enemies which are ingame:

I won't go much into the environments because they are the greatest flaw in my opinion but I like how the props came out.
All is rendered with the Cinema 4D default/physical renderer. I tried octane renderer but the results did not hold up, mainly due to the ambient occlusion being nearly not visible, making everything lack definition from the perspective - but was much better suited for the weapon sprites actually. 

This is about the best screenshot I could take. The rooms are semi randomly generated

I did not manually texture anything, its all done with tiling materials, same for the weapons and enemies but the look is pretty clean and minimalistic.
At the start I almost went crazy with all the top down perspective issues, shadows could not be saved with proper alpha (until a newer C4D version came out with that as new feature...) and many things were just mind numbing that are done instantly in a 3D engine, like putting fences together.

Offline rendering cons:
Making fences or walls meld together with the shadows properly merging is just mind numbing work in 2D.
I rendered the shadows out with the props and putting things near each other often results in overlaps which look bad. 
- You are also extremely limited with animations and sprite amount. 
- You can not render in different resolutions only scale your final image or sprites
- The problematic environment building due to 2D made me create much inferior laid out spaces and proportions
- It has tons of cons not having 3D, but maybe a pre-rendered game in a 3D engine could remove most of those.

Offline rendering pros:
- No UV maps for any prop in the entire game 
- No baking, no texturing needed
- Infinite poly count for your models
- Very nice lighting and isolated GI but very static
- Anti aliasing and image quality at native is 2 levels above anything realtime,
scaling screenshots looks very good as result but yeah you cant change resolution ingame..
- Extremely superior performance on the GPU

Overall verdict: It has upsides that diminish every year in realtime progress but I wouldn't recommend it or do it again unless for smaller games

Time for the weapons - 

Focus in the game is on the gunplay and you can find around 70 different weapons.
There is heat management, jamming, discarding ammo, multiple ammo types,
a very deep attachment system, movement based recoil, we even have headshots in 2D space
which is giving a whole new dimension to the top down shooting gameplay. 

Also each weapon can be in one out of 20 variants with vastly different stats or new perks.

I tried to make the weapons as satisfying as possible and its really the key aspect of the game. 
It took a lot of iteration but at the current state im very confident that all weapons are very viable
and can carry your run in the right circumstances. I really hate when you play with pea shooters in
similar games or dead end weapons.

With 4 attachment slots and a lot of stat upgrades you can make any weapon competitive
or broken depending on the variant.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here some of the weapons, there are around 70 ingame:
Non-color graded raw images, colors and contrast look better ingame, all with tiling textures only, no UVs

These are rendered with octane, I often took base models and modified them so I can not take credit
for much of the modelling, some were made by externals and then modified and textured.

Before and after:

Iteration was also super important for the weapon balance and the look and can really make a huge difference,
from first to second or third iteration:

>

>  

Here is how the weapon screen looks: 

Making a trailer was the most mentally consuming thing aside of the room generation trial and error we both had to get through,
its extremely hard to convey all the features in the game and I could write about unending things but yeah..

Ah, and when I started, the game looked god awful like this.... It really has gone a long way.
https://imgur.com/gallery/ckpVX

Trailer / steam page is here:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/528230/SYNTHETIK/
Ill post some more stuff in the next days and weeks!

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    The weapons also have attachments, for the items and attachments, as well as ammo I used
    this frenel gradient type of style to keep things simple and high contrast;

The attachments do things like chance of not consuming ammo, weighted deviation,
    switching fire modes, adding penetration or give buffs on perfect reload and more.
  • last
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    last greentooth
  • SebastianBielecki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SebastianBielecki polycounter lvl 4
    Amazing stuff! I love the weapons!
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Thanks!
    The items have a similar style as the attachments, ill post some soon

There are 100 items right now, and while initially weak, with multiple iteration passes they have
    become really nice. I didnt want items to be these "+100 HP" type of thing but have real active
    usage and upgradeable. Also you can have 8 at the same time, which can be a bit much tho.

Things like sentry turrets, mind control, bear traps, mines, smoke flash stun plasma grenades,
    summoned units, orbital lasers and demonic objects, all that stuff. The best thing is that you can
    upgrade each item up to 500% of its original power, so you can try unending things and make
    really broken stuff or just keep your money for other things. 

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Here is the main menu with the character loadout, also showing the difficulty menu where you can select gameplay modifiers

Btw we will be at gamescom, so say hello : P
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Cheytac Intervention, it has a really cool Call of Duty style 360 noscope perk, if you turn your cursor full circle around the screen, you get a 3x damage bonus for the shot. If you get a headshot that moment it does brutal damage but takes high skill. Works much better than I initially expected. (there is a indicator at the cursor to show the bonus)

No Doritos included tho
  • OskarSwierad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OskarSwierad polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for the breakdown of pros and cons of the prerendered approach.
    The style is very good. I mean how the entire thing comes together - level art, UI, weapon design. While minimalistic, you can still tell material from each other, which is great. I'm yet to play the game, though I heard praise from a friend - game designer, who is a rougelike maniac ;)
    Congratulations on finishing the game!

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Hey, thanks man! 
    We are actually working on a addon, and im making some sick new stuff for that.

Making your own content and features is really uniquely rewarding. Making a nice weapon model, mixing the sounds and adding the gameplay all together and seeing it come to life is pretty incredible.

Edit: hm is polycount image upload broken?

https://hostr.co/file/5lQNIebARFpK/P900.PNG
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator

Here is some cool guy, I thought why not make a mini-tank after I saw the threads of an unused drone carrier and I really like how it turned out
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator

Improved KSG, a little material change can really work wonders