Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tyrannosaurus Rex WIP

JamesBear
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
JamesBear polycounter lvl 5
It's time I finish up this T-rex I started a while ago. Any thoughts ideas and critiques would be much appreciated. 

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I think it would be cool if it had a few patches where the feathers were missing, to give it an old/damaged look. I'd also like to see it posed, especially with its mouth almost closed and its eye lids relaxed. Right now it has a surprised expression like it just realized that girl he met a year ago was in fact trying to flirt with him, and not just being friendly.

Good work, I haven't seen someone model a dinosaur with feathers yet.
  • NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I think it would be cool if it had a few patches where the feathers were missing, to give it an old/damaged look. I'd also like to see it posed, especially with its mouth almost closed and its eye lids relaxed. Right now it has a surprised expression like it just realized that girl he met a year ago was in fact trying to flirt with him, and not just being friendly.

Good work, I haven't seen someone model a dinosaur with feathers yet.
    That is the strangest reason why a T-Rex would be surprised. I would think something more along the lines of seeing an asteroid coming at him or a volcano going off in the distance.
    With respect to the work, its coming along well, perhaps post a few references as well. 
  • Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Very cool. 

In the same way it has patterns of color on its skin, it might have patterns of color on its feathers. You might also look at birds for reference regarding color patterns on the feathers. Birds of prey in particular might be appropriate, as they generally have muted, earthy colors that you are already working with. 

Might consider more color and noise on the teeth. My 4 year old dogs canines are quite a bit more yellow than that. But maybe having the teeth pop out a bit more is better? Hard to say, just got to play around with it.

• supremedalek925
    Offline / Send Message
    supremedalek925 polycounter lvl 10
    Love the feathers.  Something about the eyes seems a bit unnatural, like they're bugeyed. The eye ridges look good but I don't think the eyelids, as far back as they are, would offer much protection.
  • JamesBear
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank for the feedback everyone. 
    Ashervisalis Unfortunately due to the way I made the feathers, bald spots do not look good or work well. But I did add a few feathers that stick out so he looks more disheveled. 
    BIGTIMEMASTER I will have to think about adding patterns to feathers. I kinda like the fact the the body is a big area of rest and i'm not sure how I would make patterns without adding another texture set. But I did yellow up the teeth.
    The lighting has been changed around, the eyes have been changed, and there are few other small tweaks to materials. 

NikhilR here are some reference images I have been using.
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Do you have any idea why they made the concepts without feathers on the t-rex tail?
  • JamesBear
    Offline / Send Message
    We have some skin impressions of T-rex which show that at least some parts of it's body was scaly. How much was covered in scales and how much was covered in feathers is debated. I have seen modern reconstructions of t rex with feathered tails and without feathered tails. I decided to go without feathers on the tail because I like the look more.
  • JamesBear
    Offline / Send Message
    Got this guy rigged and posed what do you guys think?

• JamesBear
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting blocking out a stand for this guy, complete with little acheroraptors running in terror. Any thoughts, ideas and or critiques?

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Pose lookin' great! What sort of lighting are you thinking for the final render?
  • JamesBear
    Offline / Send Message
    I am probably going to go with something that feels natural. Like he is out roaming on a sunny day.