Home Featured Artwork

Mossberg 590 Tactical Breakdown

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
iammalte interpolator
Dear polycount community,

since my years in the gaming industry I gathered lots of knowledge through people, forums like polycount and articles in magazines.
Now it´s time to give something back. Therefore I decided to share my private workflow with you.
There a many ways to achieve the same results so this is just my way :smile:

Grab the HD pdf here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/crxqv8nz8nq20hl/AAAowkKZJR433Nyz46XB_ymha?dl=0

Replies

• KennyW
    Offline / Send Message
    KennyW polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks alot for the breakdown, awsome model and insight to your workflow
    Keep up the good work..
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Really great tutorial, gives some nice insight into how you do weapons. I love the end result with smoke and ejected shell casing :smiley:

Any particular reason why you bake inside marmoset instead of Substance?
  • iammalte
    Offline / Send Message
    iammalte interpolator
    @KennyW: Thanks mate! 

@CybranM: Thanks for your feedback. The reason I prefer to bake in Marmoset is because I do have more control over the baking process in general. As well the auto re-import is really great when changing the high or low poly meshes. Also drag and drop material ids and visual feedback viewport and baking layers are awesome. 
  • jamecz
    Offline / Send Message
    jamecz polycounter lvl 3
    Beautiful. Love the ejecting shells on this, makes it that much more believable. Are there any other scripts you'd recommend for hardsurface in maya? I'm working in default settings at the moment and find that my work is a bit slowed down by lack of hardsurface tools.
  • iammalte
    Offline / Send Message
    iammalte interpolator
    @jamecz Thanks!
    Apart from HardMesh I use mayas build in modeling tools. I do like to work with floating menus like the modeling tab or a customized shelf (see first screenshot ). As well gesture menus are pretty nice to speed up the modeling flow as well as some default primitives to quickly create some basic shapes. I use HardMesh most times for complicated stuff like stock booleans or panels. Multi-Cut is one of my favorite tool.
    For quicker retopos I often duplicate my subdivided parts to clean them later. Sometimes QuadMesh is very quick and powerful. I used that one to retopo the scope. 
    Shift move is very quick too to create polygons fast. 

I hope this helps :)

Cheers

• Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looks good and nice breakdown
    Don't be afraid with large scale details (especially in wear) tho; medium and small scale definition is important but large scale is what catches your eye in the end and try not to make the edge definition too consistent. Your material workflow is missing that last very important step with the large scale.

The lightness differences could also be stronger and have more contrast but thats a simple tweak. The front is pretty uniformly light and the back more or less medium gray. Id personally make the scope noticeably darker and the rail about to scope levels, and add a bit of contrast on the front.

The next step would be some personalized elements and anything that makes your 590 different from another ones and a better background or even a scene around it. 
  • iammalte
    Offline / Send Message
    iammalte interpolator
    @Shrike Appreciate your feedback! Thanks for getting into detail with even very useful examples! Will add them to my next work :)
  • Niknesh
    Offline / Send Message
    Niknesh polycounter lvl 10
    Up until viewing your breakdown I have never used iterations on packing the UV :smiley:
    Tried it on some of my older models and it packed UVs on some of them way better than I expected.

• iammalte
    Offline / Send Message
    iammalte interpolator
    @Niknesh Yes indeed. Before I found iterations I used IPackThat but I´m not a huge fan of swiching software during the modelling creation. Iterations are pretty cool. Making coffee and see some nice packing going on :)
  • Navigator
    Offline / Send Message
    Navigator polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome work. Kinda strange to see a scope on a shotgun. Other than that it's a great model and the textures are very nice
  • iammalte
    Offline / Send Message
    iammalte interpolator
    @Navigator Thanks for your feedback!
    On tactical shotguns scopes are used as well as in certain hunts :) 
  • Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    Thank you very much for the tutorial, i saw on you sketchfab that the gun trinagle count is 86k, AAA games are using that much for primary weapons? 
  • rage288
    Offline / Send Message
    rage288 polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome!
    Great doc! Thanks
  • iammalte
    Offline / Send Message
    iammalte interpolator
    @Udjani it really depends what the weapon is for. I do know some VR games with a lot of polygons used in weapons. Since you are not locked in a singe perspective you could observe the whole weapon in detail so in that case it´s better to model a screw then baking it. Sure for a AAA first person shooter 80k is waaay too much. Good thing is these days engines could handle huge ammounts of polygons quite well :)