Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bill Murray Likeness Portrait

Kgizzi
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys. Just trying to improve my likeness sculptures here. Any comments and critiques welcome.

Edit- Updated a little bit.

Edit- Will report.

Replies

• polygons
    Offline / Send Message
    polygons polycounter lvl 4
    first off you've done a hell of a job so far. I think his eyes should be more of an olive green color rather than a blue. I think his jowls come down too far. its especially apparent in the first image.  I think your diffuse could use some work as well. The red feels a bit too thrown on I would look at different images of his face and how the reds are distributed as well as the overall tone. I hope that helps. Keep at it you've done an awesome job so far. other people can probably give more in depth critiques on the face I don't really do characters/faces much.
  • Kgizzi
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
    polygons said:
    first off you've done a hell of a job so far. I think his eyes should be more of an olive green color rather than a blue. I think his jowls come down too far. its especially apparent in the first image.  I think your diffuse could use some work as well. The red feels a bit too thrown on I would look at different images of his face and how the reds are distributed as well as the overall tone. I hope that helps. Keep at it you've done an awesome job so far. other people can probably give more in depth critiques on the face I don't really do characters/faces much.
    Thanks man yea I'm still relatively new to the rendering part of 3d. I use Mari for texturing and I've tried several variations of the diffuse. Sometimes it will look washed out and I'll try to add more saturation and the reverse happens, but when rendering in Arnold, something as simple as moving the area light a few milimeters towards or away from it can adjust the saturation and colors within the render I'm finding. It feels like there's multiple ways to skin the same cat, like if I want to reduce the reds I could adjust the Diffuse, I could adjust the lighting, or I could just edit it in Photoshop. It's hard to know which way to go with things when you're self-teaching yourself with tutorials lol.
  • Kgizzi
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
    Bump. I updated a couple of things. Still would like feedback on what about the likeness to fix. Thanks.
  • allknighter
    Offline / Send Message
    allknighter polycounter lvl 5
    I'd love to see more angles,
    I think Polygons brought up a lot of good points,
    I'd also like to add that your rendition has sort of a sweet old man look that I dont see on the actual bill murray. 
    Furthermore the surface hair doesn't look to have ddifferent lengths, or thickness (thicker hair for beard area), his eyebrows looks very neat, and I'd also love to see some nosehair/earhair.

some positives:
    I reeally like the specular level, the shading of his hair and the skin detail on his forehead and neck.

keep it up!
  • Kgizzi
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
    I'd love to see more angles,
    I think Polygons brought up a lot of good points,
    I'd also like to add that your rendition has sort of a sweet old man look that I dont see on the actual bill murray. 
    Furthermore the surface hair doesn't look to have ddifferent lengths, or thickness (thicker hair for beard area), his eyebrows looks very neat, and I'd also love to see some nosehair/earhair.

some positives:
    I reeally like the specular level, the shading of his hair and the skin detail on his forehead and neck.

keep it up!
    Ok yea I just added a couple more for you up there. So you're saying the actual expression he's making is not one you've seen him make? Yea I think it's kind of weird too, I usually think of him as more smug with his eyebrows up etc than "sweet" lol. I'm using X-gen for the hair with guides. The guides are at different lengths but yea it does look like the variation has become a bit lost, I'll try changing them more extremely. I've never tried nose hair before maybe I'll do that lol.
  • Kgizzi
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
    Edit still working on it. Just updated it up top. It's amazing how you can think something so bad looks okay when you've looked at it long enough and get desensitized. :s
  • Kgizzi
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
    Last update, just tried to edit the background a bit. I'll probably revisit this eventually to push the likeness and fix a few anatomy errors but for now I don't feel like looking at it anymore haha.