Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Character Artist Seeking Portfolio Feedback

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Sarish7 polycounter lvl 7
Hope this is the right forum! I'm looking for feedback positive or negative!

I'm a 3D character artist, I've been working in the video games industry for 3 years now. I've worked for smaller studios and freelance but would like to move to a larger AAA studio. Most of my professional work has fallen under NDA so I am unable to use it, so most of my portfolio work is personal projects. Looking for feedback on layout, project shots, model problems, etc. 

I will also have a chunk of time coming up that I can dedicate to a personal project, any suggestions for what I should work on? Currently making: Dalmatian hyperrealistic sculpt, planned project: hyperrealistic human bust with hair and accessories. 

See portfolio package and resume here: https://tinyurl.com/y8tlaxc7

Thank you!

Sara

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Why isn't this on a website?  That's my first critique.  HR and Employers tend to want an easier to toss around link to a website.

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Yes, definitely need to put this on Arstation or something...
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Really cool stuff there plus I'm of the same sentiment, you seriously have to consider leveraging existing art showcase platforms that'll potentially attract AAA class eyeballs you've of a mind targeting for the next career move. 
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea put that on artstation, and get rid of the arbitrary bar/experience graphs for the software, just put familiar with: and then list the software. those bars tell me nothing and are something a lot of junior artists add to their resume.
  • aanselmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aanselmo polycounter lvl 2
    There is nothing wrong with having a printable or offline portfolio, sure the website or artstation is always good too, mainly if you want to have more followers.
    My critique are more into a design of the portfolio then the artwork itself, you should put the pictures as big as the sheet, occupy the best you can and have the text in an extra sheet or in some space, but keep the images as big as possible, so the person can see all the details without zooming and panning.  tho I like the way you present it the empty space could be used better. The descriptions on the images could be reduced or just leave it out, no need to explain what the image is everytime. Alseo, not sure what you use to create the portfolio but if it was on indesign, create hyperlinks to your website/social media and to the projects
  • Sarish7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why isn't this on a website?  That's my first critique.  HR and Employers tend to want an easier to toss around link to a website.

My bad I should have clarified, I do have a website, an artstation and social media. I made this package so I could include it in applications and present everything in a condensed, organized format.  I keep it in a permalink to my dropbox so it can be updated without losing the link and it's shareable between people.
  • Sarish7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh said:
    Yes, definitely need to put this on Arstation or something...
    Agreed! I do have an Artstation, I just use this more for attaching to applications/emailing. 
  • Sarish7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi said:
    Really cool stuff there plus I'm of the same sentiment, you seriously have to consider leveraging existing art showcase platforms that'll potentially attract AAA class eyeballs you've of a mind targeting for the next career move. 
    Thank you, so what I'm taking from these comments is maybe making a portfolio package is a waste of time? I do have an artstation and a website, this is just additional that I use when contacting/applying directly. 
  • Sarish7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea put that on artstation, and get rid of the arbitrary bar/experience graphs for the software, just put familiar with: and then list the software. those bars tell me nothing and are something a lot of junior artists add to their resume.
    Good call, I was thinking that for a while but will definitely change that up now.
  • Sarish7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aanselmo said:
    There is nothing wrong with having a printable or offline portfolio, sure the website or artstation is always good too, mainly if you want to have more followers.
    My critique are more into a design of the portfolio then the artwork itself, you should put the pictures as big as the sheet, occupy the best you can and have the text in an extra sheet or in some space, but keep the images as big as possible, so the person can see all the details without zooming and panning.  tho I like the way you present it the empty space could be used better. The descriptions on the images could be reduced or just leave it out, no need to explain what the image is everytime. Alseo, not sure what you use to create the portfolio but if it was on indesign, create hyperlinks to your website/social media and to the projects
    Thank you for the great feedback! Graphic design isn't my strongest area so I definitely appreciate those points. Will keep jiggering around with it! And I cannot believe I did not put hyperlinks in here. It is so obvious.  :s lol thanks for the tip!