Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Overwatch Fan Art - Harimau (Wip)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Zanejjb polycounter lvl 4
Hello!
This is my first time posting so not 100% sure what is the best way to share wips so let me know what I can do to improve that side of things but more importantly let me know what you guys think of the character and weapons so far. Any comments and critiques would be helpful! Here is a link to the awesome concept art I'm using by the artist kohyunuhttps://www.artstation.com/artwork/r2N42  Here is my personal project I've been working on based on that concept art.I think I know what I want to do for the back of the butt plate of the gun but I'd like to hear any ideas before I go back to that if possible and I'm totally clueless on what do with the muzzle of the gun. With the character I feel like I'm finally getting close to getting her face down correctly although I think something still might be off and would love to hear someone else's opinion besides mine on it.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Her gimmick is the tiger tail?
  • Zanejjb
    Offline / Send Message
    Her gimmick is the tiger tail?
    From my understanding yes her gimmick is her tail that can spew a gas from the canisters on her belt and leave a trail of gas that prevents the enemy from healing.
  • Rokulakis
    I like the concept for the legs gives a nice mixed feeling to the character!
  • Zanejjb
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working one her here and there and did a handful of changes to the face plus started adding in the rest of her hair!
  • Zanejjb
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a little update. Spent time on defining her body to better fit the Overwatch art style also I started to create her jacket.
  • kohyunu
    Offline / Send Message
    kohyunu polycounter lvl 6
    WHOAAA!! @_@
    I had no idea someone was working on this design! I am incredibly flattered.
    I was actually recently working on a 'take 2' design with her, because I thought I could do a better job portraying what I had in my mind for Harimau.
    Tiger-like feral energy that coincides well with her guerrilla methods and her South East Asian origin.

I hope this didn't throw you off the loop or anything ^_^;; I was actually a bit embarrassed with the complete lack of firearms knowledge and how they work back when I drew the original design.. and I do feel everything feels slightly more grounded, and even more importantly... makes her look like she belong in the OW-verse.

Thanks again, and it's a great honor to see this post! <3
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that redesign is better.  Way stronger silhouette from the important elements.  
  • Zanejjb
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah didn't expect this! But I feel like I might be a bit far in to do a total redesign. I might take aspects of both and merge them together to get a happy medium! Also I've been working hard on this in my free time so progress has been slow but I guess I should share what I have as of now! 

I'm going for the style of fur found on the Tiger Genji skin. Thinking about reworking parts of the legs, tail, hair, and fur and have them take aspects from the second rendition of her more. Thanks showing me the 2nd rendition @kohyunu ! Hopefully I can respect both and bring out the best of both designs and make something that honors both. <3
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure you nail those legs.  That's how you avoid sexy lady #5698.
  • kohyunu
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zanejjb
    I love it either way. Thank you for showing love to my design.. I really appreciate it! ;_; b
  • Zanejjb
    Offline / Send Message
    Back with another update!

Been looking around at different ways to take inspiration from the new concept and adapt some of the changes from it and the old one, while staying mostly true to the older one. I decided the connector on the legs was something that was in need of a change as well as parts of the old jacket. I'm also looking to combine her pouch and belt together into singular belt and pouch combo. Hoping this helps creates some good points of rest and detail that you seen in the Overwatch characters. I'm also exploring combining aspects of the weapons but that currently isn't my main focus for now. I'm gonna break down the my thoughts and process on each part to get my thoughts out there and maybe get some feedback better feedback on her as a whole but I'll leave that at the bottom just in case you don't feel like reading all that.
    Legs: I'm looking to keep the over all look of the prosthetic legs but tweak the look of the connectors. I wanted to mimic shapes some of the over all shapes seen in Brigitte's weapon. I also added the fang like shapes to pull from the tiger motif some more and also give them a slight look of discomfort/grip to the leg inside the armor bit to hearken back to her talon past and grudge . I am feeling a bit lost on the actual joint and part that connects to the lower leg though. 

Jacket: I didn't want to change much with this one since I really loved how awesome it looked in the original concept art! After messing with some of the shapes on paper and in Zbrush I came up with the double lapel and double cuff. Removing the hard surface elements was also something I wanted to do to not to take way from the legs. I'm hoping this adds to the tiger feel as well as to the fierce look of the character. I'm also looking to make the second lapel/cuff on each to be either a lighter leather or have a short fur on it like with Tracer's jacket.

Tail: I'm thinking about going with something closer to the older design but maybe thickening it up a bit and pulling a few things over like the grate on the end piece of the tail.

Belt: not much else to say outside of me wanting to straighten it out a bit and do a very slight change to the part the binds each part of the belt together.

Hair: Now I did try to attempt to give a wack at changing her hair but couldn't come up with any good results that translated well into 3d. I might be overthinking it here and her hair might be find given all the other things going on up there to suggest the tiger motif. Although I do want to come back to her ponytail and modify it a bit to fit better with the Overwatch style with some stuff I learned while modeling the fur.

Feel free to let me know your thoughts on this so far and don't be afraid to drop any form of critique big or small! Thanks for giving this a look.
  • Zanejjb
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on adding the rest of the tweaks and start to move into adding details. Hopefully the scars didn't end up being too deep on her.Any feedback and critique would be appreciated!
  • Maxilator
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    Those are some really nasty cuts, something about the split in them looks really uncomfortable to me, if that is a good or a bad thing is up to you.
  • RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    RocketBryan polycount sponsor
    Heya man, this is a really interesting project you've got here! I'm definitely a fan of the original concept & rework done by @kohyunu
    so I'm looking forward to seeing how you fully translate her when finished. I think you could probably use some help in getting to the finish line so strap in - this is gonna be a longer one.  ;)

First up, I'll cover an easy fix with the scars. I really dig the patterning and distribution of the scarring on the character concept, but scar tissue doesn't typically develop in the way you're expressing them in your sculpt and it's also deviating quite a bit from your Overwatch style reference. When in doubt, always fall back on reference. You can see in the example below how Reinhardt's facial scar (and indeed most real-life scar tissue) has healed into a raised mark across the skin. Renaud Galand's style here is pretty subtle and even on the in-game model it's difficult to tell with a fairly soft normal map and being outlined by a color change, but it's definitely there. The 'Blackwatch Genji' skin also uses a similar look. Conversely, Zarya's scarring (also by Renaud) follows a slightly different, simplified style where the scar is recessed rather than raised, but it's still really subtle. It's possible that Zarya's scar was created before they established a defined style, but it still works pretty well. the key here is to avoid over-emphasizing the surface deformation - when scar tissue develops, it may leave behind slight depressions or raised surfaces, but doesn't really carve out the huge chunks of skin you have currently.

Another major point I think your model is stumbling on is a lack of a unique silhouette or large shape reads. The Overwatch cast is largely defined by their immediate silhouette read - It not only quickly conveys some information about their role, it also helps communicate some aspects of their characterization and personality. This partly why I absolutely love the complete overhaul @kohyunu did for her concept and converted the character into 'Tigress'. She solved a lot of the issues from the first design - stronger silhouette, better shape reads, closer fit to the style, big chunky parts. You can see below a little bit of what I mean. Those pants have angled folds that cut in sharply while also pushing out the silhoutte of the character. The hair follows the larger shapes you typically see on the Overwatch cast. Her center of mass feels lower and she reads as a shorter, scrappy character which matches her personality well. Even the change to the cybernetic tech displayed in the legs feels like it fits better with the style of the game.

If you're still wanting to sill try to replicate the first concept, that's still totally fine, but you'll be missing out on a lot of the really neat strengths of the redesign and inheriting some of the original flaws. The attempt to merge the two might still work, but it could just as easily end up as an awkward compromise between two concepts. At the moment your model has almost the exact same silhouette read as Junkrat...just with better posture.  :)

That last aspect I can kind touch on would be the character's underlying anatomy...but this is more subjective. Overwatch is somewhat unusual in the lack of one-size-fits-all base body type for female characters that you'll find in a lot of other games. Some of them get pretty close, but they diverge from each other just enough to help differentiate their silhouettes from one another. However, one thing they all have is a fairly distinct lack of defined muscle/anatomy. The Overwatch character team generally keeps their character anatomy pretty smooth and subtle when it comes to muscle transitions and boney landmarks. To use an example here, the arms of almost every female character remain fairly rounded and soft throughout. Zarya is definitely the notable exception however and is a good reference example of adding muscle to a female Overwatch-styled hero, but even her muscle groups are somewhat smoothed out.

My general suggestion here is to not get super hung up on defining anatomy (unless you feel it suits the character), but definitely work on really nailing the proportions in Overwatch (ie. arms, hand size, legs length, etc). In the newer concept, Harimau/Tigress here looks like she lands near the proportions of Sombra while retaining a stronger build of Brigette.

One final quick note - it looks like the concept calls for a character who is Southeast Asian in origin, so remember to keep that in mind when you tackle her facial features.

Good luck!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    This lady needs to be proportionally more bottom heavy.  +1 to fixing her leg silhouette.
  • kohyunu
    Offline / Send Message
    It's really amazing to see this thread. I'm very humbled and honored to see someone really tackling the character to realize them into 3D form.
    Also, I'm super happy to see that my attempts to improve my original design with my recent take has been noticed by @RocketBryan
     (Thank you for your awesome reply. :smile: ).

For the scars, I was definitely looking at Zarya's recessed scars as reference. Something about the implied visual narrative that a chunk of your flesh has been carved out just feels so visceral.. And I hope Tigress' scars conveyed that feral feeling. ^_^
  • Zanejjb
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh wow thanks a lot @RocketBryan thanks for giving me some feed back! I should have really pulled up some reference last night while working on those scars I'll have to apply your feed back there! As far as the overall project goes should I just take her body and face and just use it as a base mesh to start anew on newer version? Hard to say goodbye to months of on and off work but I think all the knowledge I've learned while doing so will help things go faster if I did hopped over the new design instead.
  • RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    RocketBryan polycount sponsor
    I can definitely understand the desire to start from scratch. I've done the 'restart' a couple times for personal work when I'm confident the quality of the end result will eclipse the previous attempt. It just depends on what you believe is going to give you the best outcome for your portfolio.

In this case, I'm not sure a full reboot is completely necessary. You have a lot of low and high poly work here that you can definitely still reuse or simply re-proportion and update. If you decide to stick to the original concept, just makes sure you really focus on the shapes and silhouette to nail the design. If you want to use the newer re-work, then you will likely have to remake and move around a number of parts, although Mackenzi has provided a lot of really excellent breakdowns and turnarounds that might make it easier.

But like I said, it's totally your call. It all depends on your objectives for this particular piece.  :)
  • Zanejjb
    Offline / Send Message
    @RocketBryan again thanks for your words. I'll have to put this project on hold till after the art station challenge is over. I think I will probably go for the rework when I do come back to this project given my major goals where to create this character concept and also create something as close as I can get it to the Overwatch art style. Once again thank you guys for giving me feedback and your input means a lot!