Home Featured Artwork

Male Bust

codyaq2
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
codyaq2 greentooth
Previous model i did a few years ago, revisited it with my latest knowledge i have accumulated since, as well as playing around with arnold maya rendering.
More images and break downs here

Replies

• retropixel
    Awesome! I'm really trying to do a life-like render of a likeness sculpt right now. The eyes are so tricky. I'd love to know your process when it comes to eyes. Beautiful work!
  • codyaq2
    Offline / Send Message
    codyaq2 greentooth
    Hey, sorry about the late reply @retropixel I just saw this message.
    Couple of different ways to tackle eyes, using an outer shell with an alpha map to reveal the inner mesh.
    Or having an outer shell over the eyeball mesh as well. Both can work well if the shader is setup correctly.

I think they main issue i had with eyes is making sure the eyelids had a lot of thickness (they are thicker then what they look) This makes the eyeball sits nicely. Have to throw that tearduct in there as well which helps placement. Also eyelashes makes a big dfference make everything feel right. Can put another overlay mesh on the bottom eye lid connecting to the tearduct to get a wet feel as well with high gloss and refractive.
    Looking back at this, there are so many issues with this though lol:P

• Aydhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    Reallly great work, have you considered giving it rest of the body? It could become a truly amazing viking.

Also, could you clay sculpt screenshots of head from front, side, 3/4 view without eyebrows and hair? I'd really like to see it as i love your anatomy work and could learn a lot from that.

• codyaq2
    Offline / Send Message
    codyaq2 greentooth

Hey, just had access to my work computer, so here it is. I highly recommend looking at 3d scans that are on the internet, it will have a much better sculpt then what i have produced. Looking back already i can see many issues with this.

One thing i have understood over my years of learning/studying/sculpting is that you will constantly learn new things the more you work and the more you look at reference. Looking at the head from the top down, under the chin etc, how face shapes vary so much. FOV and how the faces changes with different lighting was a huge thing for me. As long as you learn the base anatomy and forms you should be able to morph to what ever you want.

• Aydhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5