Home Technical Talk

[3DS MAX] change view aspect ratio in viewport for render

Filip5
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, I am wondering if its possible to change the size of view, so I am able to see whole area I want to render. I always get wrong one no matter what image aspect ratio I choose.

This is scene I am trying to render - left bottom image 

What I am going for is shown at this image

Now changing resolution or aspect ratio doesnt seems to work, I cant get the rest of my viewport to render. Also, it would be great to actually see that bottom area in my rendering view, as now I am unable to see if my propotions are right...

Replies

• Filip5
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
    With what I found so far, max always stretches viewport according to resolution, but never goes off-screen. One workaround could be to render image bigger than needed and crop it afterwards. 
    This being said, if I render image 100 x 100, afterwards I choose 1000 x 500, max stretches this image to that resolution. I actually tried 3000 x 1000, then 7000 x 1000 and for some reason, max cropped that image.

So is there a way to render something outside viewport ?  To avoid this cropping ? Lets say I would render something at ratio... 1:4. What I can see in wieport is somewhat 1:1,5. How can I prevent max from cropping asymetric images...

• Eric Chadwick
    The yellow frame in the lower left viewport is the Safe Frame. This shows exactly what will be rendered.

If you want the render to match the photo, then take the photo dimensions (1440x913) and put those into the Render Setup.

The yellow Safe Frame will change to match the new aspect ratio.
  • Filip5
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
    The yellow frame in the lower left viewport is the Safe Frame. This shows exactly what will be rendered.

If you want the render to match the photo, then take the photo dimensions (1440x913) and put those into the Render Setup.

The yellow Safe Frame will change to match the new aspect ratio.
    Well it somewhat works. But I tried to set width to 3000 px and leave height at 913 px. Max cropped that image, maybe to some render limit ? Is there a way to render images like that ?
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    The width is treated as constant and the height set to match your aspect ratio. You can use Martin Breidt's Overscan script  to adjust your field of view. You might need to use a camera, though.
  • Filip5
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
    I may be wrong, but tried both overscan and adjustwidthrender. Both of them adjusted fov of camera, but didnt enlarge image itself. Overscan had a nice descripton, changing output like you would in photoshop, changing canvas. But it seems not to work that way.
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Overscan should adjust the Fov according to the chosen resolution change, editing the canvas is a good comparison. 
    If I remember correctly, it might get confused if you change resolution outside the opened script or use it repeatedly without closing.
  • Filip5
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
    Any way I could bypass max cropping upon render ? 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Max should render 3000x913 no problem. What version of Max, and what renderer?
  • Filip5
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
    Using Max 2015, vray renderer, also vray camera. Let me post a screenshot with settings:

913x1440, didnt work with vray dome camera but got somewhat close with  Vraycam -

913x3000 - now what I noticed, it isnt fault of max, but VrayCam actually does this cropping, as if theres a limit for cam resolution ? Altough even at 3k, image just stretched itself, instead of going further and rendering empty space...

• Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Post a stripped down scene if you want, so people can take a look.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Yeah example file woukd help. And it looks like the safe frame is off in those two screenshots, although I doubt that would change render settings.
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    The missing safe frame definitely plays a role and the aspect ratio of the rendered image looks correct for 3000x913.
  • Filip5
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry for late respond, here's the scene

• Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Turns out that Overscan doesn't work with VRay-Cameras, so sorry for that.
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/adjustrenderwidth-for-vray does, though. (I assume you meant this with "adjustwidthrender".)

You need to turn off vertical and horizontal shift first, though, and adjust your camera to match the view without them. 
    I assume it's possible to calculate a screen extension with those, but things are bound to get a lot more complicated and the original picture probably wasn't taken with any shift (cropped, perhaps). You can reapply some shift after you adjusted your render width if you want.

And don't forget to activate the Safe Frame.