Home Technical Talk

Selecting verts/edges in UV Unwrap for manipulation in Edit Poly (3DS Max)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
sun_smasher polycounter lvl 9
Coming from Maya to Max, one thing that I miss is the ability to select edges and verts in my unwrap and be able to have those selected on my mesh in a way that allows me to manipulate them. Really handy to have for alpha work and the like. Does anyone know: is this is achievable in 3ds Max? Since it's a modifier stack and not just "part" of the object like it is in Maya, I haven't found a way to make this happen. 

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Unfortunately the modifier has to be baked(collapsed) Having unwrap as a mode in Max rather than a modifier is something the community has been crying out for for some time.

there's a Tweak UVs mode in the modifier, but you can't directly manipulate the geo.
  • Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    It's not like it'd have to be that way since the same thing with face mode will work perfectly well if you add Edit Poly with 'Use Stack Selection' checked. Looks to be more of an omission that vertex and edge selection isn't kept by default... Added an entry to the Ideas page for that.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It's probably to do the fact there's not a 1:1 relationship between uv verts/edges and poly verts/edges.

Not that it isn't solvable. 

Fwiw I usually map my hair or whatever to a plane  before chopping the geometry up to avoid this sort of arseache
  • sun_smasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sun_smasher polycounter lvl 9
    Yea I figured it wasn't really something that I could do, I was just hoping someone with more know-how found it as frustrating as me but made a tool to do it, haha.