Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

JamesMeader's Big Improvement Thread

Replies

• Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Hey james, ive done some feedback for you, overall you have the shapes are pretty much there. there are just a few areas holding you back. The main barrel flaps and the side tech stuff (errr not the technical name :P )  are looking good!

• JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    @pav3d- Thank you so much for the feedback, I was just looking and everything you've pointed out were all the trouble areas and already noted as soon as I posted this WIP. I will spend tomorrow working out all these kinks. Thanks again. 
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a 'pre zbrush' hardsurface updated version of the arc cannon following the critique offered by @Pav3d.

Any further critique would be greatly appreciated before I start the Zbrush part of my workflow, thank you. 
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything seemed ok this morning to move on to the ZBrush part.

I'll start the retopo now! However if anything comes up in time and I can change it easily I will. Maybe some parts can be fixed within the normal map. 
  • PatsuKiki
    Offline / Send Message
    PatsuKiki polycounter lvl 6
    Such a nice little weapon coming along James, really a little late for feedback and sorry if it's too late to add any more changes, but just a couple of things I noticed on 'macro' inspection. For the most part though, they won't be noticeable after texturing and from a 'certain' distance. 

• JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    @PatsuKiki Thanks for the feedback, yeah that wobbly bits are really off putting, I think my biggest problem with it is I'm trying to rush to get it done and just missing so many issues. I'll sort this all out and post the outcome later. Thanks again.
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    An other WIP and trying to fix those last few problems. I really do appreciate the feedback but also its so embarrassing having such stupid and lazy mistakes be noticed. I have all the time in the world and I shouldn't rush.

Sorry for the constant change in settings I use for my post-production but with every WIP I feel like i'm getting to a good mix of settings. 

I will continue the retopo now but again if anything comes up I will go back and fix it or if it can be left till the normal map stuff than i'll do it then. 
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    Its taken a bit of time to texture this weapon, using substance for my own project for the first time could also be an factor why it took me some time. But by the end I really don't see any advantage of using Substance Painter over Quixel's DDO. If anything I suffered way more lag than DDO and the pain of not being able to work in 4K pain-free. Also I missed the cross-app mode too and a pain bouncing from substance to MTB3.

But I will continue to see what more I can do with substance painter.

So here is the first update of the textured arc cannon:-
    I am open to crit but plan to work on it in the evenings. I'm not sure if its really protfolio worthy, any ideas? 

But I've decided to move on and so my plan is to tackle an environment.

Based off the awesome concepts by Edouard Caplain

I've already thought about my approach even if by a little bit. I will try to avoid making much HP objects, maybe one or two 'hero' assets but the majority of this project will be trying to work on saving time as well working on modularity as much as I can. It will require a lot of thinking so that will be one I will do for the rest of day as well fixing anything that pops up about the arc cannon.

Thanks. 
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    So I did some fixes, mainly just colour adjustments and breaking up some uniform in the scratches

Tomorrow I start fresh.

• JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    Environment is taking a back seat, just the wrong timing yet again but not an excuse. Just been doing some temp factory work which has seen me working stupid hours.
    I managed to some hardsurface practice though.
    Worked on this ranger 1000 range finder 
    Ref

Working on a lowpoly but who knows when I'll have it done, its going to be a busy few months. 
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    Retopo'ed, unwrapped and textured the Rang Finder.

Super fun project and nice to get back with Quixel. 

This thread will be going quiet as of next week I will be starting as a Junior Environment Artist at Ubisoft Reflections. I feel like this thread is a big reason why I have achieved this massive step in my career. Wish me luck. 
  • Lokthar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokthar polycounter lvl 7
    Love your thread man! Keep it up :)
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    @lokthar Thanks, I hope to get back to this thread once I am finally re-united with my computer. 
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    Well its been a while. I always knew I would take my time to move my computer ect after being settled at my new job. I received my computer 5 months after moving. For 3 week it seemed fine and then my graphics card took a fit. I had buy a new one, which I wasn't too bummed out about. At least it was a less complicated fix I suppose. 

I decided on a project, something maybe a bit different to what I've done 'recently' and something easy to get into and not a lot of work for the most part. I wasn't sure about how I would fit a project into my new schedule, I knew there would be a way as always. 

So this is Remmi the Robot, concepted by my friend Shane Smith. I had Remmi in my concept folder for ages and I just felt like this was a good time and project to get back into the mix. Me and Shane bounced ideas back and forth about the story of Remmi and his function. After a few conversations the final story is as follows:-

'Remmi is designed and made to be the perfect friend for a child. He has the tools and tricks to keep a child entertained but has the character and personality to become that childs best friend.
    Remmi was bought by the parents who are crewman on a long space voyage through the universe as a companion for their child.'

Well I always say it but of course I want to make a diorama for this guy and it would the childs cabin onboard the spaceship. I havent figured out the details yet but it something I really want to do.

So technically this is the 3rd update and iteration I've made on Remmi. On my blog I have the other iterations and feedback so feel free to look at that.

Some details I've left for substance painter. I was getting a bit fed up with some details and just decided to make my life easier. Back of the head is supposed to be a monitor that could flip round and blow some controllers would pop out so I plan to just paint that detail in. I know it would be cool to have physically but I've decided to cut some corners. 

If you have any feedback please let me know. Its great to be back on it again!

Next thing is prepare the retopo and research and gather some reference for the diorama. I havent decided where I plan to build the scene and render. I think maybe UE4 is my best bet I reckon.
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    I really wasnt happy with the hands and a lot of other subtle things so I made those changes

May start the retopo tomorrow
  • Menchen
    Offline / Send Message
    Menchen polycounter lvl 3
    Everything looks cool. I might also give one of the DOOM guns a try (tho I suck at subdiv modelling).

Waiting for the environment. Modular environments are by far the thing I'm most interested in 3DCG
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    @Menchen Thanks. I'd really encourage getting the art of too. 

The alien isolation environment is unlikely now, maybe something I'll come to eventually. I too like to work on a modular environment but Remmi just seemed more fun to work on for now. 

I still plan to make an environment for Remmi so maybe that will have some modularity to it that I can explore. 
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    Dusting off this thread. Its taken me a bit of time to feel committed to a project. Between now and last year I have started many projects and failed to finish them due to work commitments and other hobbies, running. 

So with this new project what I wanted was something simple, no bullshit, just something straight forward and cool. Kris Thaler is my go to guy for a cool concept especially after the mech I did a few years ago. 

So I chose this rather cool Sawed off shotgun.

And here is my blockout!

Some things thst I want to do is really make the most of substance painter, really push it as far as I can. Also maybe make a custom wood material in designer because I really havent used it at all and could do with it really.

Any crit would be great at this point, maybe play around with some of the scale at this point before starting the HP.
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    So first pass on the highpoly. Pretty happy with the turn around actually. I've been working on it from anything to 15 minutes here, a few hours there and so on. Before starting I made it clear how my approach would be. I looked at the concept and decided which pieces I would use the 3dsmax/ZBrush/Dynamesh/Polish/Decimate method and then made sure my Max scene was very well oragnised so if i had to iterate I could easily. I also used quad chamfer a bit more and played more around with chamfers as well using the tried and true double turbosmooth.

I will be going through and making sure everything is working before moving on to the lowpoly. Any feedback shoot away!

Thanks. 
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some feedback from a few people at work so applied that.

messed around with the renders again, latest update

• JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    I got some more feedback and took as one last push to get the highpoly just right.

This time it was sorting out the bottom curved bulk part by the trigger. In the concept it shows it a bit edgy and awkward angling and unfortunately or fortunately for me trying to replicate that will make any one of us think its a 'modelling error' so I made it smoother and flow better. I also made the switch on the grip a bit more dominant as well some other details.

Anything else I've missed let me know.

I've yet again and annoying tried a different post-process render settings. 

• JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    so got the retopo done with a mixture of Topogun and 3dsmax. The UV's as usual were a little tedious especially the packing which always take a while.

The baking was going to be done Substance but then after getting the latest update it was being a pain saying something about Nodes and using too many licenses or whatever. I will email them tomorrow or at some point to hopefully get the issue fixed.

But since I didn't want to loose momentum I decided to give the baker in MTB3 a go and holy shit I'm impressed. For someone that was still baking in xnormal I am blown away about how clean and also how quick the bakes were (4k and using some rather high ao settings).

From there I threw the asset into DDO and placed the base material on to it and this is what I have at the moment:-

Will start the texturing in the week.

Thanks! 
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm done with the shot gun. Overall I'm very happy with the outcome. It was exactly what I intended it for it to be. So yes I have missed opportunities such as making the inside of in so i can show a reload shot. The other is making it maybe more game optimized as I haven't done much symmetry and could have had that in mind.  

I have an idea of what I'd like to do next but will have a break for a few days.

Any crit is greatly appreciated. 
  • Sbcas74
    Offline / Send Message
    Sbcas74 polycounter lvl 5
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on this Titan from Titanfall 2, I've also been making creative changes based on other Titans, especially the back. The concept in comparison lacked a bit of detail in comparison to other high poly titans so I added a bit more in hope I didnt over do it. 

I started this back in January, in that time I helped release The Division 2 along with everyone at Ubisoft Reflections, I then left and started a new job with a VR indie company and then my hobbie, running, took off and saw me running 50-70miles a week and competing every week or near enough. So Titan has been worked on at any free moment I had. 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, i particularly notice that some of my edges are sharp especially on the legs which I will fix.