Home Adobe Substance

Shape Splatter - Clips any value per default

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
gestoryscht polycounter lvl 7
Hello guys,
today I downloaded the newest version of SD to test the new Shape Splatter Node, but somehow I don't get it to work and I hope this is caused by me.

Whenever I try to connect the nodes, the values of the shape node are getting clamped. The splatter node is set to default- so I changed nothing here.

Is this a bug, or is it just me?

When I try to use a gaussian shape or something else, the same happens all the time. Sometimes with a slight deformation, but the result is almost the same.

EDIT: And here an extreme example:

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Try setting the bit depth of your graph to 16 or 32  f
  • gestoryscht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is. Every node is already set to at least 16 bit.
    That was obviously my first thought to force the nodes to a higher precision, but I had no luck.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've not played with it yet so just a guess.. 
     the reason I mentioned it though is that the floating point options allow for values outside 0-1,  not for the precision
  • gestoryscht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoops - okay. Didn't know that the range and precision is something different.
    Anyway - every node is now forced to use 16bit and the problem still appears :/
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I tested it yesterday.

The values coming out of the node do actually exceed 1 so the clamping happens later - probably in the Shader - and shape splatter is working fine

Try popping a histogram range after the node to bring the range back into the 0-1 and use the material scale value to set the height range you want

If that doesn't work, designer is clamping values between nodes - which I disapprove of- so you'll need to feed shape splatter less aggressive gradients
  • gestoryscht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, that was the problem. The gradient was to aggressive and I needed to change the height offset dramatically. For my taste, this is pretty counter-intuitive, but in the end, it works.

I see no usage in it to make first these plateaus and on top of that the height deformation. The height offset lowers these plateaus and then it works with clipped edges.

Thanks for your help!