Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Gazman162

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
gazman162 polycounter lvl 9
Sketchbook of the stuff I'm working on regardless as to whether it ends up in my portfolio or not! Mix of portfolio work, tutorial work, etc.

Feedback is always welcome!  :) 

Replies

• gazman162
    Offline / Send Message
    As it stands this was the last 'BIG' piece I did over a year ago:

I started working on the most recent Artstation Challenge (Wild West), but between work and moving across the country I haven't been able to find much time for it! Below is a texture I started working on for the challenge:

Working on at least rounding out one of the props I made for this challenge at the moment and will hopefully have that up in the next couple days!

• gazman162
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a prop from a scene I started for the Artstation Challenge and sadly couldn't get round to finishing. Gradually building up the prop to give it a bit more character! Added the books today. Next planning on filling out the shelves more with more books, and a couple other parts. :)

• gazman162
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some scrolls, star charts, some decals on the draws and did a general reshuffle of the books for a better composition. I'm trying to tell a story about the person that owns this cabinet so I'm not sure I'm quite happy with it yet as some parts are quite bare. I'm thinking of adding a couple more props today, (including a telescope, lockbox, and some sort of antique globe), and possibly adding some more decals to break up some of the wood further. Reckon I should be able to have this finished by the end of the week!

Again any critique or feedback is welcome! :smile:

• gazman162
    Offline / Send Message
    Added a couple more props to the cabinet and deciding to finish up with this! After spending so long in this scene though I've been thinking about playing with my basic UE4 render scene and giving it some more functionality, so I may look at going into that if I get anywhere with it! If not, there are a couple more half finished projects I want to try look at this month! :)

• gazman162
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on some Substance Designer stuff at the moment. Happier with where the stickers are but, the Duct tape looks meh in UE4 so going to look at revisiting that. Possibly play with the metallic value? I'll have a look at reference some more, and see if I have any around the house for more ref. The stickers are all separate models placed in the scene using the same texture sheet. I have variants for worn and new stickers, just need to edit the SD file to allow for switching between the two.

Any Critique and feedback would be super useful! :smiley:

Will update the scene during the week as that's looking a bit naff as well! 
  • gazman162
    Offline / Send Message
    Edited the scene, and looking much nicer!

Completely changed the duct tape to better match new reference, and I'm much happier with how it's looking now! Also exposed the decay switches so the use can switch between worn stickers or pristine stickers.

Next up going to slide back to the Prop I'm halfway through at the moment!

Any Critique is welcome! :smiley:

• gazman162
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on finishing of a prop I made a while back. Had to tweak the low poly and rebake the maps. Base textures on in Substance Painter, and now building up layers of detail to match reference below. Hopefully get this near completion by the end of the week, and may drop it in the main 3D thread once I've got it in UE4 to try and get some further feedback!

Reference:

As always feedback and critique always welcome! :)

• gazman162
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on the wear and tear pass for the radio, but figured I'd do a bit of a look back on the last project I completed. I've built up a lot of my understanding for creating textures and adding more story into my props so far with the radio and wanted to jump back to the cabinet I made and inject it with some of that. So far I have a quick paintover with some notes to have a look at and alter. Once I'm through the current pass for the radio I'll probably get cracking with the improvements I've looked at whilst I find some feedback on the radio.

Going to be having a look at Clark Coots work on the adventure map for the wrinkles and folds on the map to add to my astronomy charts:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qA99q2

• gazman162
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up the Radio now! If there's any feedback on this I'll jump back in and play around with what I've got for sure! :)

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2xdOga

• gazman162
    Offline / Send Message
    Putting the updating of the above scene on hold whilst things are busy at the moment, and using my spare time to work on material creation in Substance Designer! Started by jumping back to the star chart from the cabinet and improving it.

Improvements:
    -Edge darkening (More in line with reference)
    -Exposed variables to change several parts in Engine
    -Folds reworked from the ground up using curve nodes
    -Edges rougher/More textured
    -Fibres decreased in size

Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/L2gzow

Looking at working through some of Daniel Thiger's fundamental tutorials to really cement designer knowledge, and try and create some more organic materials.

Oh and I went back and worked on the scene in Unreal Engine and improved my lighting setup for the material work. new renders up for existing materials:

Critique and feedback always welcome! :)
  • gazman162
    Offline / Send Message
    Following on from above I've been trying to develop my understanding of Designer as a whole. Went through Daniel Thiger's Fundamentals 1 tutorial over the last week (https://www.artstation.com/dete/store) and since have been trying my hand at a more organic material for the DiNusty Substance Challenge on Discord.

River Pebbles:

Progress so far:

Reference image:

Any feedback is welcome :smiley:

• gazman162
    Offline / Send Message
    Some further alterations to the Pebble Challenge. Feel like I'm happier with this result. It looks a little less heavy, but feels more natural overall. Ended up rebuilding the bulk of the graph with shape splatters rather than tile samplers after some feedback on Discord.

Reckon I still need to play with the height and shape splatters to avoid some of the overlapping/intersecting, but also want to try and work on the roughness and colour tomorrow as I imagine colour will be an interesting battle unto itself with the variation in the concept!

Critique welcome :)
  • gazman162
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting there slowly! Discord challenge is this Saturday so we shall see how it goes! Hopefully get it near completion for then. Once I've finished this I wanna look at adding a material blend with water level and tweak the roughness to make a wet variant.

• gazman162
  • gazman162
    Offline / Send Message
    Straight back on it with the Designer work. Went through Daniel Thigers Fundamentals 2 tutorial and got some tasty tricks for Curve nodes, Directional Warps & Non Uniform Blurs :smiley: Might try something like a baroque ceiling or sci-fi piece to play with the Curve node a bit more. 

For the moment however I've been working on a terracotta tile texture I saw some ref for online and enjoyed the look off! Had a bit of back and forth on Discord with this one, and got it to a reasonable place height and roughness wise now. There are still some little bits I'm not too sure about on the noise, (some bits seem to be adding height rather than subtracting & some details are too intense/frequent), but reckon I'll look to push on after hopefully a little more feedback.

Next up:
    -Tweaks and Colour work
    -Further refinement

Once I've finished this I'm gonna spend a bit of time flicking through a Substance Masters material I recently downloaded and see what I can take away from that moving forward! :blush:

As always feedback welcome!  <3
  • gazman162
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up the Terracotta material now! Made a lot of alterations from the previous shots above:
    • Added Colour information
    • Removed warp after initial pattern
    • Re-organised the graph to be easier to read
    • Added the paint information to the roughness map
    • Adjusted all tiles to be a bit sharper and less chunky to better match reference
    A link to the final piece: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/XBzP90

And some pics of course! :smiley:

Texture Breakdown:

Reckon I'm gonna spend some time flicking through some substance masters materials and taking some notes, but after that I want to try and get another material under my belt before the Artstation Challenge starts on the 10th!

Torn between two main ideas for the next material:
    1. Curve node fun times! Sci-fi or Ceiling carvings that utilise the curve node
    2. Focus on user interaction. Plenty of exposed parameters and iterations. Play with some of the function stuff in Designer to restrict values, etc.
    Will have to think about it and see what interests me the most :smile: