Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Lordling

Replies

• Grimartwolff
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimartwolff polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking great, cant wait to see the final product !
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Thanks everyone! :smiley:

JustinT said:
    @Pav3d If you have the time, could you give a breakdown on how to get such clean, realistic lighting in marmoset? 

Its a very simple 3 point lighting set-up. You use the sky as your Fill light, an omni positioned near the head as a Key Light and an omni behind him as a Rim Light. The global illumination setting adds nice reflections and bounced lighting (but slows everything right down :P )

ranzcross said:
    Wow !! Great Details, Pav3d the amount of details is Insane !! and your workflow is nice, love the textures so far.
    i was wondering how do you make the detail for the swords handle in zbrush ? is it using IMM ? do you mind sharing your workflow on that ?
    Thanks !~

Sure! Heres a breakdown of that:

Ive attached the brushes I created for this if you want to try :smile:

Magihat said:
    This is looking insanely good, just a stupid question: how did you split up the texture sheets of the clothes and how many  (if more than one)? Curious to know how you retain the detail so well from the high poly.
    It uses a lot of texture sets, in order to keep all of the patterns and details from becoming blobs :P
    Armour upper, armour lower, body upper, body lower, belt dagger, belt sword, head, eye, arm cloak, chainmail, hair, eyebrows/eyelashes mouth, base.
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Hello! Im wrapping up this guy now, just testing the pose before I finish him.

• volaille
    Offline / Send Message
    volaille polycounter lvl 12
    this looks amazing! to bad his sword is so short for a 2 handed on... the quillons should reach at least up to his belt for it to look accurate and up to his breast if you want to show this sword have been tailor-made for him.

other than that, it looks flawless to me
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    @volaille Hey thanks for that info! :smiley: seems like its a lot higher than I thought it was. ill have to look into scaling the sword correctly
  • Mehran Khan
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
    wow, you got great results. my only critique is that chest covering is looking too mate, but I guess that's more about design than anything else.
  • BoonS
    Offline / Send Message
    BoonS polycounter lvl 7
    Seeing bits of bots of the lordling around polycount, I always found each update to be really insightful and top-notch. Thanks for sharing, and glad to see it finally wrap up.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Amazing texturing work on this!!
  • Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Thanks for breakdowns along the way. Stuff like this is invaluable to me. If by chance you recorded some or all of the process, I'd be happy to purchase a copy on gumroad. 

Also want to mention that I appreciate the final  pose. Whether you meant to or not, the cross legged, somewhat delicate looking pose is very typical of the period. Much of what modern western culture would identify as effeminate (the dainty pose, frilly costumes and floral designs, form fitting leggings, etc), was the height of masculinity in archaic european culture. Anyway, I thought that was an excellent finishing touch.
  • Ruflse
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    The ornament work is amazingly clean! I remember using your Bloodborne fanart as a reference.
    Can I ask how did you do this part of the armor? Did you use boxmodelling, sculpted the eagle and the feathers as a different mesh and then tried to make them fit as close as posible to the amor?

• Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Pav do you remember that medieval character we worked on for a polycount art challenge ages ago? Think it was a bald dude with halberd, which you ended up finishing. You've come on leaps and bounds since then, great work man :open_mouth:

EDIT: He is in your folio, so of course you remember :smile:
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Thanks everyone :smiley:

Thanks for breakdowns along the way. Stuff like this is invaluable to me. If by chance you recorded some or all of the process, I'd be happy to purchase a copy on gumroad. 

Also want to mention that I appreciate the final  pose. Whether you meant to or not, the cross legged, somewhat delicate looking pose is very typical of the period. Much of what modern western culture would identify as effeminate (the dainty pose, frilly costumes and floral designs, form fitting leggings, etc), was the height of masculinity in archaic european culture. Anyway, I thought that was an excellent finishing touch.
    Sadly I didnt record any of the process, but that is something Ill consider doing for my next project :smile:
    Im really glad you pointed this out as its exactly what I was going for with this character, I used paintings of lords and kings as inspiration for the pose, as well as victorian medievalism for the romanticised medieval setting, but still trying to keep it quite grungey and dirty. Thank you :smile:

Ruflse said:
    The ornament work is amazingly clean! I remember using your Bloodborne fanart as a reference.
    Can I ask how did you do this part of the armor? Did you use boxmodelling, sculpted the eagle and the feathers as a different mesh and then tried to make them fit as close as posible to the amor?

Thanks! :smile:
    I did several paint overs, before settling for one that I used as an alpha, which I applied to the mesh. then I essentially traced it using the chisel brush, saving a morph target before so that the intersections would be nice and clean, and also so I could "erase" any overlaps. Its what I did for the majority of the engravings. I had a theme in mind, and then did paintovers before committing to sculpts.

Torch said:
    Pav do you remember that medieval character we worked on for a polycount art challenge ages ago? Think it was a bald dude with halberd, which you ended up finishing. You've come on leaps and bounds since then, great work man :open_mouth:

EDIT: He is in your folio, so of course you remember :smile:
    Haha yeah I remember, seems like a lifetime ago, thanks man :smiley:
  • Kgizzi
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
    Hey man this looks sick. Can you recommend any tutorials that show the basic method you use the create the armor, and more specifically the secondary and tertiary details on it? I know the basics of pulling polygroups off of the model and retopologizing them to create basic hard edge armor in Zbrush. I know you used 3DXmax? I've never used it. So I'm just not sure if it's possible in Zbrush and if you know of any tutorials that show a similar process. Thanks.
  • Stexara
    Offline / Send Message
    Stexara polycounter lvl 4
    Man this is so detailed and inspiring.. may i ask how you did the belt with all the details?
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021068/uploads/editor/r9/hdq65gdhhyll.jpg
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Kgizzi said:
    Hey man this looks sick. Can you recommend any tutorials that show the basic method you use the create the armor, and more specifically the secondary and tertiary details on it? I know the basics of pulling polygroups off of the model and retopologizing them to create basic hard edge armor in Zbrush. I know you used 3DXmax? I've never used it. So I'm just not sure if it's possible in Zbrush and if you know of any tutorials that show a similar process. Thanks.
    Hey Kgizzi, I used just basic high poly modelling methods in 3ds max, I cant think of any specifically describing armour creation, but theres lots of youtube videos on modelling guns that use the same methods. The details are sculpted in zbrush using alphas. What really helped was sculpting the general shape of the armour in zbrush, and then decimating it, and then bringing it into 3ds max to essentially trace over it

Stexara said:
    Man this is so detailed and inspiring.. may i ask how you did the belt with all the details?
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021068/uploads/editor/r9/hdq65gdhhyll.jpg
    Hey Stexara, so the belt was made in 3ds max, subdivided and brought into zbrush. I mainly used this as a reference. The mesh itself is quite simple, I let the subdivisions do all the hard work :P
    The metal insets are sculpted in zbrush and then turned into an insert brush, and placed along the belt. Meant spending a long time making sure they were evenly spaced (im sure theres a better way of doing it :P ) The pattern on the sides was just an alpha I drew in photoshop.

In general with this project there was a lot of back and forth between zbrush and 3ds max, making concept sculpts in zbrush, decimating and rebuilding them cleanly in 3ds max, and then bringing them back into zbrush for a final detail pass.

• clark
    Offline / Send Message
    clark null
    This is really nice. The pose and the slightly lowered eyelids really make this character look snobby.
  • iamlegion
    Offline / Send Message
    iamlegion polycounter lvl 2
    This is awesome @Pav3D, the hair is amazing!
    I cant believe no one has asked about the hair yet,may i ask for  a breakdown of that and how you achieved such smooth results 

• Stexara
    Offline / Send Message
    Stexara polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the info dude, i was mainly interested in the pattern on the sides, was it placed alpha by alpha, or some other technique ^^
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    this is so amazing, love the attention to detail on the armor.  Can't wait to see how this turns out
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    iamlegion said:
    This is awesome @Pav3D, the hair is amazing!
    I cant believe no one has asked about the hair yet,may i ask for  a breakdown of that and how you achieved such smooth results 

Thanks! Sure! Its a combination of two tutorials, This one for creating hair cards in Zbrush. And then nimlot26's hair tutorial
    specifically on how he uses splines in 3ds max to have a lot of control over the cards, it really helped on areas like the curls and to generally give the hair cards a more natural feel. Heres a gif I made.

As for rendering the hair in Marmoset, its not an exact science... honestly for me its a lot of guess work till it looks correct :P I recommend this tutorial for that.

Also some people were asking for wireframes on the Artstation. So here they are:

• JohnnyTheKid
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyTheKid polycounter lvl 9
    nice, thanks for the insights, @Pav3d!
  • iamlegion
    Offline / Send Message
    iamlegion polycounter lvl 2
  • ArtistArtorias
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtistArtorias polycounter lvl 4
    This is dope man.
  • Isunoj
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, this looks amazing! Thanks for sharing all breakdowns and tutorials.
  • CaesarAlbertus
    Offline / Send Message
    CaesarAlbertus polycounter lvl 8
    Pav3d said:
    Thanks @CaesarAlbertus ! is there anything in particular you want broken down/more info on?

How do you approach the texturing of the face, been working on a personal project and you result is awesome 
    Amazing result by the way : ) 
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Pav3d said:
    Thanks @CaesarAlbertus ! is there anything in particular you want broken down/more info on?

How do you approach the texturing of the face, been working on a personal project and you result is awesome 
    Amazing result by the way : ) 
    Hey thanks :) so I start with a base skin texture all over with a colour fill and some starting mottling and blemishing using grunge and noise fills.

Then the main part is the colour zones of the face. I create a fill of colour (red, greens, blues, yellows etc) and in the mask colour in the desired areas (ie: red for cheek areas, yellow for boney areas, etc).

Roughness is handled seperately in its own group as the colour zones of the face do not affect things like sweating and oily skin.

I use 2 brushes, a very soft cloudy brush and a slightly more noise cloudy brush with low opacity on both.

A great video on this technique can be found here
  • CaesarAlbertus
    Offline / Send Message
    CaesarAlbertus polycounter lvl 8

Thank you very much going to check this out  :D
  • canndis
    Offline / Send Message
    canndis polycounter lvl 18
    Thank you for sharing you workflow, this will come handy 
  • ranzcross
    Offline / Send Message
    ranzcross polycounter lvl 7
    Nicely Done ! and Thanks for sharing your workflow with us, very inspiring and very useful worklows !
    Cheers !!
  • ChrisFraser
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisFraser polycounter lvl 5
    This is just outa control. Would love to see some wires of the low poly.
  • vulehunganh
    Offline / Send Message
    vulehunganh polygon
    i like your work