Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My military radio

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Skionos polycounter lvl 2
Hello,
I made this prop following along Simon Fuchs's newest hard surface tutorial. I have to say, that I learned a lot, and his high poly modeling technique in ZBrush is really fun.

Replies

• TheLittleJay
    Offline / Send Message
    TheLittleJay polycounter lvl 5
    Materials looks very nice, very believable.

I'm assuming this meant to be a game-ready model, so you might want to cut down your polycount in a few places, like on the maps and antennae thing to the left. Lots of unnecessary loops that don't do anything. Your bevels are also a bit inconsistent on the actual radio as well, the one at the very front could get a way with being like the one at the back in my opinion. 

Otherwise a very nice piece of work, keep working at the topology and you'll have a great prop. 
  • Skionos
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your comment. I'm happy that you liked my materials, I put a lot of time into them. 
    And you are right about topo, to be honest I didn't have any specific polycount limit during making low poly. That's why I have so many lops.
    But in future projects I will pay more attention to topology. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks really good. Agree with TheLittleJay about poly count and the like. Keep up the good work!
  • Skionos
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your comment. I'm happy that you like my work :smile: 

Actually, after some feedback from DiNusty's empire discord I decided to build small scene around this radio. Also, I will change slightly base radio prop, with lower poly count and different antenna, it will become more polished. 
    So here are some WIP screenshots, I still need to work on proper scale and some story elements. 
  • VisualTech48
    Offline / Send Message
    VisualTech48 triangle
    I saw your work prior to this post, and I have to say nice work. Really neat materials, however, like pointed out, too many verts on places where there they aren't really supporting anything. As well the telephone cable seems a bit too short for me, and the bevel maybe could lose a few edge loops, and bake the rest.

Other than that really great work, and for the new scene I suggest adding tons of damage to the building with sculpting and adding displacement textures.

Cheers mate!
  • Skionos
    Offline / Send Message

I finished blocking part and started working on single props. Still I have to think about adding more small details. Also I have no idea how to tackle main house. Should I sculpt it as a whole object or maybe somehow divide?