Home Technical Talk

X-gen issues, please help me! (Solved)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
dipnusurf polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone!
I've been trying several methods for creating hair texture for alpha cards and so far X-gen is great because you have a lot of control and a really good render.
I'm trying to render some  strands from a few square planes but everytime I start to play with the settings (taper, width, clumping modifier..) the hair randomly diseappear. They often come back a few minutes later when changing others settings or simply selecting another modifier already in the stack..
Sometimes switching between viewport renderers make them reappear but it never lasts long.
I've been rellay careful with the name of my geo and to set the project before doing antyhing else.

Anybody came across this issue? I'm pretty sure I'm the one doing something wrong or forgotting something but I don't know what.
I'm using maya 2017 update3 on win7 64.
Thanks!

Replies

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Is it possible that you ran out of Vram.? 
  • dipnusurf
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't think about this actually, maybe, we have really decent computer here at work, and I have a 1070 GTX installed but yeah maybe, I tend to run several software in the same time along with the game editor so it could be.
    I'll give it a try to go easy on my computer see if it's working.
    Thank you!
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It's buggy as hell in 2016&17,  I'm not surprised to hear this at all 

2018 is a lot more stable so if you have the option I'd suggest using that
  • dipnusurf
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I heard that too, it seems they changed the way the xgen files are handled in 2018. I'll ask my IT for it.
    For now it work fine by reducing the preview settings, seems like the vram was the problem.
    I'm pretty sure I'll have other surprises as I will added other description but we'll see.
    thank you very much for your quick help! I can focus on the real thing now ;)