Home Technical Talk

New to: MARI 4 by the Foundry

Hello fellow artist ! 

I am new to Mari ! I switched from Substance Painter to Mari because they say it is more suitable for Film. Substance Painter is easier to learn and good for game assets. 

I switched to Mari 4 because I'm aiming for CG for Film. 

I want to learn the software's basic then I want to go to learn the more technical aspect of it. 

Any good resource material you can share other than Youtube ? 

Is there a MARI official book that the foundry released that I can purchase for me to study the software on a more TECHNICAL way ? 

I currently have a few more weeks of access on Pluralsight but they only have a Mari 3 tutorial there (Which I'm currently watching right now) 

Thank you very much 

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost all of what you learn for 3 will still apply in 4. The UI has changed a little and some features have been added/altered but the majority of information will still be very relevant.

https://vimeo.com/album/4087816 this is a pretty extensive overview of Mari 3.

https://vimeo.com/album/4892939 this is what's new for Mari 4 (which also includes a video detailing the changes from Mari 3).
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Also, before you jump ship, remember that Allegorithmic are soon releasing VFX tools. 
  • Jon_Of_Sparta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Farfarer THANK YOU VERY MUCH ! 

This looks like an excellent resource material !

@musashidan

I downloaded Substance Painter first and dwelled into it for a couple of days, then I later found out that the Mari is the Industry's standard and you can paint higher res textures than what Substance Painter can offer (right now) and Substance Painter is better for Games according to some forums...

I assume you know both of Mari & Substance Painter 

Which one is better for Film ? and why ? 

Also is there a Substance Designer counter part software ? Is Substance Designer the Industry's standard ? 

Thank you 
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mari is capable of painting on very many high resolution textures at once (so you can have a model textured with teen of 8k textures and it'll work just fine). It also has a nodal shading system which gives you quite a bit of flexibility of you want to poke around in it. If you want extremely high resolution, Mari's your best bet.

Substance had the advantage that it can paint many aspects of the material at once (i.e. you can paint diffuse colour, roughness, etc, all at once). If it's ease of use for a single texture, Substance Painter might be what you want.

Better for film is a relative term, it's really which is better for the job at hand.