Home Technical Talk

A question about UV tiles/Texture Sets

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Spode polycounter lvl 3
Hey all,
So ive recently been creating an asset thats more along the lines of being a character than anything ive created before, and for the unwrap stage, i thought the wisest thing to do would be to split the asset into two different parts, being the Head, and rest of the body (The asset is a floating drone for those wondering)
The issue here is that im unfamiliar and new to UV tiling and multiple UVs and such, namely in how they are properly used for texturing/rendering. Ive searched around but aside from a video on UDIM's ive been unable to find any guides or advice on how to properly go about this, so i was wondering if anyone had any help or tips they could give on working with multiple UV's in one object?

For the record, i will be baking/texturing within Substance Painter and rendering within Marmoset, though i would be interested in how to implement this in UE4 for future referance

Any help will be appreciated greatly, thanks!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this a game-style asset, built for portfolio use? You don't need UDIM, no one is using that for games. 

All you need is two separate materials. One for the head, one for the body. Because they're separate materials, and thus separate maps, you can use the same UV channel for both.

What modeling software are you using?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    As Eric says, 2 materials. To set this up for Substance Painter you need to apply 2 different materials to both the body/head respectively in your 3D program. Name them accordingly and export the whole model as an .FBX.

Sub Painter will recognise the mats from the .fbx and set up your project with 2 independent texture sets: named according to the 2 mats you assigned in your DCC.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    we use UDIMs also for games during asset creation on hero assets... its easier to paint across multiple textures to avoid seams... 
    and its easier to manage multiple textures in mudbox or mari...

but ingame they applied via multimaterials... 

• Spode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spode polycounter lvl 3
    Cheers for the advice so far, to answer Eric’s question, I’m using 3ds Max for modelling. I’m mostly thinking of this as a Portfolio asset, but I’m interested in how I’d apply this in a game engine too as I want to learn the most efficient workflow for this.

as of right now I used the two materials to get it working  correctly in Substance, so that’s not an issue now, only thing I need to do is correctly set it up within Marmoset.