Home Technical Talk

Baking Like Dota 2 - Need Help / Advice - ("Character Workflow included")

samikx
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
samikx polycounter lvl 2
Hey Guys !! :smile:  I´ve been trying to make a a Dota2 /LoL/Wow  character /model, I  researched and found that to make an easier and more detailed  handpainted , what PRO´s usually do is to make a high model in Zbrush or whatever, they sculpt all the details and after that , they  make a retopo.   The magic becomes when they bake a light map and a spec map ( like a  texture from render) ; then they mix it up with the AO map  and adjust some parameters  so they  make   a  Highly detailed  AO , with almost all the information of all the details but within the diffuse map.

Well now that you know what  I´m trying to do  I will show you some of  the process  I´ve followed.

THE CONCEPT / SKETCH IDEA

After that i started modelling until i ended the  high model:

IT´s Not a good render just a 3d´s MAx scanline

After that i made a Retotopo:

The LEFT one shows all the Uvs´s , in the  RIGHT one there are  the pieaces that are in the same space , but without being overlapped. I´ve been told that projections when having overlap might have problems so this way i keep the overlap in different parts but saving UV´s space of symmetrical parts of the " plant Golem"  like (the tail, head, arms and legs) while the main part of the body is assymetrical ( the  Plant breastplate part).

The real problem comes next , and it is that i dont´t know how  people that use the same method im following  do  when baking the light and spec map.
I added a material with some spec and  a little bit of glossiness to the high poly model, in 3ds MAx after that i set up the projection modifier in the  lowpoly model with the cage ,etc and    I also made  a light dome to simulate the light from above and below ; having the down dome less intensity than the up one.

The render with the lights is something like this :

These are the textures:

Render Specular    (Complete map)                                                                         LIGHT map

Any Suggestion ? :smile: Im just a 3d art student , so Im sry if  i might have had some noob fails or maybe  I expressed myself bad in english , which isnt my native language. 
Thank you.

Replies