Home Technical Talk

Problems with Decimation Master Zbrush

Z_G
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Z_G polycounter lvl 3
Hello, everyone.

I am writing here because I am a bit desperate. Whenever I use "decimation master" in Zbrush I obtain a defective mesh, and I do not know how to resolve this issue. Take a look on the pictures.

I have made some especulations and trying some ways to avoid this problem, but with no luck.

Any of you have an answer for this question?

Thank you in advance.

Peace

Replies

• Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Check if the mesh is actually defective (vertices or faces overlapping or twisted) or, more likely, if you are seeing the results of smoothing groups. (Zbrush doesn't used those, I think). Remove the latter or apply automatic ones with a lower angle threshold. 
    You could also try to apply area/face weighted vertex normals with one of the available scripts if the polycount of the object allows that.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    You can help Deci master along by applying a quadify mesh modiifer in Max before export.

Edit: sorry, it was 3am when I wrote this. In my brain it said Dynamesh. :)
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Im not sue what you need the decimated model for. You can get this result by not giving ZB enough information while decimating. Apart from the tips above, just in case you dont know decimating by degrees is usually the best way.  Calculate your mesh, then decimate by the standard 20%, then 10, 5, 2 and if the mesh holds up 1. I would stop one step before what you have above, although even your result would be ok to build the low poly over.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I think it's important to remember decimation master purpose, it is to give you a lower poly version of your high poly model, one that has all of the detail of the high poly but the fluff has been removed so you can build a low poly around it, use it to bake ect...

If you're trying to get your final low poly model out of decimation master, it's not going to do as good of a job.