Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Characters color and material legend to speed texturing process.

eblgraphics
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
eblgraphics polycounter lvl 3
Is there a characters color and material legend or tutorial resource apart from the official Quixel DDO web-page? We are looking for a sci-fi military stile uniform. It is extremely difficult to combine the materials in a productive manner without a point of reference. Thank you.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I'm not sure what you're exactly asking for here - what are you finding difficult in the texturing process? Specifics will help me understand what you're attempting to do, especially images or videos. :)
  • eblgraphics
    Offline / Send Message
    We want to achieve a look similar to the image in the online link below.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021068/uploads/editor/ha/dvbji4yntz6g.jpg

We were able to model our test character and assign the different color ID's but are unable to achieve the correct texture look.

From the online image we can distinguished a number of hard-surface textures plastics and metals. We want to combine those with fabric textures and achieve a post modern sci-fi look to test out all the features in Quixel Suite but can't find a good tutorial in this regard. All the official Quixel tutorials concentrate on looks that do not mach our needs. I hope you can point us in the right direction. Goes without saying thank you...
  • eblgraphics
    Offline / Send Message

We were able to model our test character and assign the different color ID's but are unable to achieve the correct texture look.

From the online image we can distinguished a number of hard-surface textures plastics and metals. We want to combine those with fabric textures and achieve a post modern sci-fi look to test out all the features in Quixel Suite but can't find a good tutorial in this regard. All the official Quixel tutorials concentrate on looks that do not mach our needs. I hope you can point us in the right direction. Goes without saying thank you...
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hmm, I don't really work with characters. All you'd need to do is ensure that you're planning your UVs out for the patterns DDO uses, as they're either vertical or horizontal and getting them to look right on UV shells will require aligning UVs to avoid diagonal patterns. Mixing and matching materials and blending them together using Photoshop's blend modes and tools for each DDO channel (albedo, roughness, etc) should produce a result you're looking for.
  • eblgraphics
    Offline / Send Message

From the online image we can distinguished a number of hard-surface textures plastics and metals. We want to combine those with fabric textures and achieve a post modern sci-fi look to test out all the features in Quixel Suite but can't find a good tutorial in this regard. All the official Quixel tutorials concentrate on looks that do not mach our needs. I hope you can point us in the right direction.
  • eblgraphics
    Offline / Send Message
    Our model works in the Quixel Suite and is accepting all the textures apply. What we need is a set of tutorial or additional materials that create a look similar to the one in the link I provided. In the default materials library we do not have materials like kevlar or other textures so we need to learn how to create them or buy them. Thanks...
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I don't know of any specific tutorials just for that style of character offhand, and unfortunately I really don't have the time to create a tutorial or go over the aspects of creating materials for PBR - there's a lot of guides out there for that, here's one you might find useful: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/creating-pbr-materials-with-blender-quixel/what-you-ll-need-to-create-pbr-based-textures

The best way to go about learning to texture something like this is investing the time to understand what it is you're trying to create - that is, unfortunately, something I cannot teach. :)
  • eblgraphics
    Offline / Send Message
    Well Roger that... To the manuals and tutorials until we learn how to get the best out of this tool. By the way thank you for giving us the answers to our questions and pointing us in the correct path. We love this tool so far and are extremely interested in learning it.  We will share here our results. Constructive criticism is appreciated lol.
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Sure, I'm glad to help where I can! I apologize that I'm not able to help further, but I think you'll find that it's not as difficult as you might imagine. Try using different tutorials to apply the techniques to what you're attempting to do - that's the easiest way to learn! :)