Home General Discussion

Star Citizen Thread, what an amazing game.

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Roberts Space Industries forum - https://robertsspaceindustries.com  

I got to say I am really looking forward to playing this game when its finished.

Flying around all the super expensive real estate will be like when I go window shopping in Bond Street in London but a digital fly by version. 

Star Citizen Offering A $27,000 Add-On Pack. You can view the page here link for the Legatus Pack, but you'll only be able to view the page if you've already spent $1,000 on the open-world space sim. The full article is here - https://www.pcgamer.com/new-star-citizen-ship-pack-unlocks-nearly-every-vessel-in-the-game-for-dollar27000/ 

Replies

• notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'll take two please
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    This scares me:

• NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    This scares me:

Maybe a time will come when all of humanity will have to be digitised to inhabit the Star Citizen Universe and only those with the right ships bought with this incredible pack will be able to reach for the stars.... before they are brought down by a bug that cannot be crushed by anyone!

It is now up to one brave soul who is, I dare say, a God among men... a supreme being who had the astounding foresight to blow his children's college funds and retirement savings and even abandon the sanctity of marriage to save the very essence of what was to become the future of the human race!

Seriously though that is going too far...
  • RyanB
    Maybe Star Citizen should offer virtual wives.  That'll put an end to the complaining.
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    That's a curious thing. People would pay $50 ~ $250 monthly in YoVille, a 2D social game on Facebook, because they've become emotionally attached to the whole virtual community.
    You can read about this in here: https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/652115-zynga-pulls-plug-on-yoville-million-in-yocash-evaporate/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-5122806

Seems it's very profitable to be on the developing side of these types of social games -- I don't think Star Citizen is one of these, but it's in the same 'high escapism' category at least.
  • myclay
    Online / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    they didn´t split the ships yet?
    edit; some of those older Beany Babies are sold or still on offer for prices over $1000. :anguished:

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

"Star Citizen Offering A $27,000 Add-On Pack." 

I gotta say my eyes fairly watered as I'd first spotted this thread's title when initially posted; Having not played MMORPGFPS space sims before and given the amounts of real world money people are willing to spend buying in-game 'goodies' I reckon all likelihood never will. That being said, quite apart from afordability, in my opinion a crucial issue would be an accumulative affect on ones sense of reason/lack thereof as the above example acutely addressed.

Although an MMO 'no clue' noob, even I alongside I think most of the globally diverse gaming community had heard of that famous Eve-online 2014 event where thousands of online users battled each other none stop for hours on end, getting wasted controlling doll'd up spaceships costing trillions in-game credits and $300k+ real money...which I'm assuming the entire incident was essentially over bragging rights? plus isn't this just an Eve clone, anyway?

Sorry, but I simply don't get the obsessive fascination these games seem to generate.

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Eve is the most interesting game there is when it comes to money and politics. The in game currency has a real world value because it can be used to pay for your 30 day subscription fee. Guilds or clans in Eve are called corporations, and run much more like a business. There's players acting as spies, large scale deception, wealthy investors seeking influence, pirates, heists, hits, assassination, etc. Single players can have way more power in Eve than any other game, so the actions of a few can have a much bigger impact. 
  • root
    Offline / Send Message
    root polycounter lvl 17
    This scares me:

Jesus this is some Boiler Room shenanigans taking place here. D:
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    EA got the most downvotes of all time as a cause of Battlefront 2 requiring you to spend 2000$ to unlock all content of the game.

Star Citizen is more monetization than game and there is not any valuable gameplay yet after almost 7 years. Not even the space combat is any special or innovative.

Does anyone really believe they are getting a AAA 60$ + Addon(s) style Space Opera experience if it is possible to spend over 25.000 Dollar?

• Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    Star Citizen, over 187 million dollars raised ( https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals ) = still in alpha since 2012

• RyanB
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Andreicus said:
    Star Citizen, over 187 million dollars raised ( https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals ) = still in alpha since 2012

You'd be surprised how far that doesn't take you in AAA dev. I remember hearing that Bioshock : Infinite's dev costs were around $500 million for example.
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    marks said:
    Andreicus said:

You'd be surprised how far that doesn't take you in AAA dev. I remember hearing that Bioshock : Infinite's dev costs were around $500 million for example.

That's complete bullshit.

Game developpment doesn't cost that much..

THe most expansive games being developped up to date were Destiny (200 M) and GTA V (265M).

Of course, half of that money was not even spent on actual development but on marketing, promo and advertisement.

Bioshock Infinite is a last gen game and back then, even AAA title seldom went over the hundreds of million. 

Uncharted 2 cost approx. 20-40 M for example....
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Yeah, iirc, Witcher 3 budget was around $81mil, and you can argue that's one of the grandest and most ambitious rpg or games in general. So from what i know at least, no, 187mil is far cry away from being just your normal budget, or not even a lot.

As for Bioshock....

"Yesterday, it was suggested BioShock Infinite was among the most expensive videogame projects of all time, costing a rumored $200 million to produce. According to director Ken Levine, such a catastrophic amount certainly wasn't seen by his team. "

And do note, 200mil is still far away from the 500mil....
  • fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    I swear this entire game is like a case study for how not to manage a project.

Every producer should take a good look at this game and realise that their role in game dev is more important that many people believe.
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    fdfxd2 said:
    I swear this entire game is like a case study for how not to manage a project.

Every producer should take a good look at this game and realise that their role in game dev is more important that many people believe.

On the flip side if it plays well then this game could be held as one of the most ambitious and greatest games ever created. 

• littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    I guess Crytek bringing up a lawsuit against Cloud Imperium Games has not helped matters, I hope that all gets cleared up soon. 
  • Ryusaki
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    Cryteks lawsuit has only done one thing, thrashing the reputation of Crytek, which was already pretty low since they closed studios, pissed away all their talent and the good will of the gaming community by jumping on trends and buzzword bullshit instead of doing what fans wanted ( a proper Crysis or other FPS ).
    That lawsuit did not hurt CIG, its a laughable attempt of a cash-grab (or to be precise tech-grab).
    They will fall flat on their nose.

Regarding Star Citizen: i had some high hopes, but when (much) time passed and countless promises was broken, i accepted the bitter reality that it is another of those typical Chris Roberts Castle in the Sky kind of projects. 
    But!
    If they only get 50% done of what they promised, they still are above all other games in terms of ambition and technological greatness.
    There simply is no other game project in the whole industry which aims this high (which is a tragedy if you ask me) and tries to push the boundaries of what is possible.
    The fact that people are still throwing money at CIG without hesitation even with all these problems is a sure indicator that there is a demand for these kind of games. A demand which nobody else seems to be willing to tackle.

Instead, multi-billion dollar companies like EA and Activision are milking the latest trend until its dead and bore me to death with their multiplayer clones.

• Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    There is a big difference between large ambition and over scoping.  Over scoping is how you burn out developers, run out of money, build tech that tends to be useless beyond your specific project, etc.  You get the "latest trend" because making games is a business, making predictably profitable products is how companies like Activision Blizzard have made it as big as they have.  I am not trying to squash any sort of hope of 'new' and 'unique' but you see the big guns making the predictable because they have share holders to impress and keep happy, with losing stock value the company suffers as a whole.  There is a balance to strike.  If you have ever been on the tail end of a project that has a year of development needed to meet all ship -requirements-, only 3 months to do it, and are a salary/exempt employee...... That's how you never want to work on another game.  Burn out is a very real thing.

It is frustrating to hear that developers are not ambitious or that we don't want to take risks..... That is so far from the truth, that I have to falsely grin and try to keep a truthful response to myself in hopes of not striking controversy that can cripple a career.  
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Zocky said:
    "Yesterday, it was suggested BioShock Infinite was among the most expensive videogame projects of all time, costing a rumored $200 million to produce. According to director Ken Levine, such a catastrophic amount certainly wasn't seen by his team. "
    That's not an unusual figure in AAA. The team only gets a fraction, marketing is typically half or more.
  • oraeles77
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
    call me old fashioned , but I remember a simpler timed when you payed for a game after it was made, and it came in a box, with a massive manual.
  • renocrade
    Offline / Send Message
    renocrade polycounter lvl 4
    damn I wonder how much this game earned from backers and this packs like these that they sell combined . Thats a ton of $$$$$
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    This guys thoughts on the $27000 Legatus Package from CIG, the makers of Star Citzen. Montoya makes some great points in his video. Check it out here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=VbzpAPfNKzg
  • littleclaude
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    give up Neil, its a clusterfuck, regardless what they show at this point.

I just hope that the devs come out of it unscathed regardless the outcome.
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    seth. said:
    give up Neil, its a clusterfuck, regardless what they show at this point.

I just hope that the devs come out of it unscathed regardless the outcome.
    Never, maybe when it reaches over 12  years of dev I might 😝
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    legit.

If it makes it to twelve years I will buy you a ship :)

• Eric Chadwick
    Gimme the lowdown. Is this game out yet? Can I play it? If not, when?
  • Anura_Interceptor
    Offline / Send Message
    Anura_Interceptor polycounter lvl 5

It's playable in an alpha state, but very buggy and laggy from what I've seen. Nobody knows when or if the game will be finished, they don't like setting hard release dates and when they do they often get pushed back or are released with a few features cut.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's like 4 separate tech demos stitched together at this point. 
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message

ZacD said:

Oh man!...despite not being a fan of the genre but after US$250.000,000 crowd funded budget and 9yrs of work poured into it, I hope at least for the devs sake the thing gets finished, soon'sh, whereby generating acclaim alongside a long term revenue stream...fingers crossed.

• littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    sacboi said:

ZacD said:

Oh man!...despite not being a fan of the genre but after US$250.000,000 crowd funded budget and 9yrs of work poured into it, I hope at least for the devs sake the thing gets finished, soon'sh, whereby generating acclaim alongside a long term revenue stream...fingers crossed.

Pirates of the "Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" cost 630 million to help put this  into some kind of context. It's just how much ground breaking games cost nowadays. 

Also GTA released back in 2013 and it's the online updates has kept it in the top number 20 slot since then. SC is already working online, its got potential and it looks amazing so who knows what will happen.

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message

littleclaude said:

Pirates of the "Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" cost 630 million to help put this  into some kind of context. It's just how much ground breaking games cost nowadays. 

Wow! eye watering sum, gotta link, I'm curious why the 'Godzilla' like amount?

Anyway, not putting a too finer point on it though, there's essentially another obvious disparate aspect worth mentioning here. Whereas, this IPs funding is mainly generated by your average punter as opposed to corporate/institutional financial backing made available for most AAA projects. So when ultimately push comes to shove, I'm for people power any day of the week.

• littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator

Also GTA released back in 2013 and it's the online updates has kept it in the top number 20 slot since then. SC is already working online, its got potential and it looks amazing so who knows what will happen.

The only groundbreaking is the monetization of the users at this point. That is done so well.
    Now Roberts wants to include a "Battlefield" on the side as well... Any project manager rolled his eyes out years ago already.
    I do personally like to divert to things that are not necessarily most important or high priority in but management is like a black hole of diversion that sucks out any photon of light that would go towards something of real importance.

The FPS parts looks extremely wonky. Its been years after the insane announcement of "Full Procedural universe and planets" and now there are like 3 Planets / Types with no real game play. They are far away from a "Angels fall first" or Battlefront 2 style of ground & space combat 
    and its an insane effort. "Hey we just do a full Battlefront on the side to balance the weapons, so its no extra effort, really!"

But worst imo, the dogfighting is super generic 2005 dogfighting. Where is the innovation, the creativity, the vision, the game design?
    Its not even close to indie games like Everspace or others and those have plenty of room for improvement.
    Please at least get the dogfighting well, its been 9 years. That is the essence of the genre.
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Shrike said:

The only groundbreaking is the monetization of the users at this point. That is done so well.
    Now Roberts wants to include a "Battlefield" on the side as well... Any project manager rolled his eyes out years ago already.
    I do personally like to divert to things that are not necessarily most important or high priority in but management is like a black hole of diversion that sucks out any photon of light that would go towards something of real importance.

The FPS parts looks extremely wonky. Its been years after the insane announcement of "Full Procedural universe and planets" and now there are like 3 Planets / Types with no real game play. They are far away from a "Angels fall first" or Battlefront 2 style of ground & space combat 
    and its an insane effort. "Hey we just do a full Battlefront on the side to balance the weapons, so its no extra effort, really!"

But worst imo, the dogfighting is super generic 2005 dogfighting. Where is the innovation, the creativity, the vision, the game design?
    Its not even close to indie games like Everspace or others and those have plenty of room for improvement.
    Please at least get the dogfighting well, its been 9 years. That is the essence of the genre.
    So what do you think this game should focus on?

Single player experience first then expand the online games one at a time shortly after releasing to help keep the hype rolling.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Focus on the core loop. Space combat, Space trading, Space Resouce gathering and the respective missions. That is the essence.
    That needs to be excellent, not average, and a closed loop that actually works and is engaging.
  • Unknown_Target
    Offline / Send Message
    Unknown_Target polycounter lvl 6
    I care way too much about this game's drama (my soap opera), so I've been following it for years, mostly on Something Awful.

For the most in-depth documentary thus far, check out this documentary series by Bootcha (the latest one, about Chris's wife Sandi, is really good):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGq4YEp8QUY

It's long, so this video will tell you everything you need to know about the single player side of the project, Squadron 42:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33ue0lzVnys&feature=emb_title

Here is this picture that Sandi posted of her attending the Moncao GP and Chris on a boat (pic is from a Reddit poster who had it removed from the official SC subreddit):

Here is a juicy article from Forbes on the money mismanagement and how Sandi strangled(!) Chris before the project started:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/2019/05/01/exclusive-the-saga-of-star-citizen-a-video-game-that-raised-300-millionbut-may-never-be-ready-to-play/amp/

Finally, here's a good summary of all the shady shit they've done via a poster on SA:

SA said:
    Things like breaking a contract with their engine supplier [Crytek, now suing them, going to jury trial this year], supporting a want to be actress, setting up a system of 20 + shell companies, spending millions of dollars contracting out work that they never use due to them mismanaging it, attending trade shows, but in a non official manner, [the CIG community team regularly posts about meetups etc. that they have at trade shows but they never officially buy tickets] selling off 10% of the company that the backers had paid for and profiting themselves personally, tickling in Black [me: this is not cool to shame someone for IMO but they're referring to Sandi's prior appearance in some fully-clothed tickling porn videos], wasting talented actors time, using backers money to invest in other companies, misleading journalist and backers, getting in poop flinging matches with Derek Smart [see: The Escapist article], attending the Monaco GP as research [Sandi, picture above], self doxxing, degrading other companies that they believe to be their peers and final laughing and making fun of the idiots that give them money. [There was a leak that exposed people who were asking for refunds/wondering where the project was going to be labeled as "Snowflakes" in their support ticket system]

Oh, and Chris just bought a $4.7 million mansion in LA near the end of last year, right after they got the investment from the Calders ($46 mil, allegedly for "Squadron 42 marketing"). This is referenced in the Forbes article above. They've also been paying themselves 150-200k+ salaries every year of the project as well.
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Crowdfunding Passes $332 Million & Star Citizen Opens Final IAE 2950 Hall With All Ships Flyable for Free, enjoy

https://twinfinite.net/2020/11/star-citizen-iae2950-free-flyable-ships/?fbclid=IwAR1tAv7Jr5sLFEebMqskqD-xQnm5JW_LLtkXcKT7TVjUpibOqpCfyJWwvMU

• DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Man, y'all make me feel bad, I only invested $400 and then waited for couple of years. I played it yesterday and this project does not disappoint. To those who are asking for release date, it is never coming out as Chris Roberts don't give out release dates, but the delta version is out and playable. I was looking forward for s42, which comes with the bundle that I had purchased, but they are not giving the release date for that as well.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Doing so well they shut down their Austin studio, screw this game
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Got a source for that?

• Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Got a source for that?

Yeah, I do not see any news/info on their Austin location being shut down? Haven't heard anything through friends/coworkers either (I work at Bethesda/Arkane in Austin).  
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    My bad, this was back in 2015. I just remember everyone talking about CIG Austin closing but I guess they cut it to back end & live ops. link
  • francisbaud
    Offline / Send Message
    francisbaud triangle
    $348 million budget and it shows, the environment is really stunning, especially for a MMORPG. I can't wait to see the finished product. They've more than 400 developers working actively on the project, it may be the biggest video game project of all time.
  • littleclaude