Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Bedroom

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Dragonar polycounter lvl 10
Hi all ! It's a long time that I didn't post something new !
So here I will come with a new project... A Bedroom.
But before I post some WIP , I have one problem with an asset of my scene.
I creating a Gameboy and I have a lot of trouble to make the bottom/back shape of this object.
Of course the goal is to have a really clean mesh and for the moment is not the case, I know is a bit strange maybe to task help before showing a little bit more but I really want to fix that first.

So here you have a screenshot with the problems.

Thanks in advance guys for your help =)

Replies

• aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    Long thin triangles are always something to avoid, but otherwise maybe check your vertex normals and/or smoothing groups (assuming you're in Max) or hard/soft edges (if you're in Maya).  I've had this problem in the past as well, but I don't recall what/why/how at the moment...
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Is it supposed to be a highpoly or a lowpoly mesh? If it's lowpoly I'd add some sharp edges or just leave it as is, if 
    it's to be a highpoly you might need to learn more about subdivision surface modelling and shading in general.
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dragonar polycounter lvl 10
    @aclund3 Thanks dude for your help, I'm on 3DS max so I will double check my normals

@frmdbl Thanks for your help. Is my lowpoly mesh, even if I know that kind of problem gonna be resolve by the normal map. I have the feeling that my topology is not right... maybe is only a feeling.
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    You're welcome, mate!

I might try adding another loop at the top and bottom of the screen, that could aleviate some of those long thin triangles. And, as I think back more when I had these issues, I believe i had vertices that I thought were in the exact same plane, but weren't.  They had come out of alignment during the modeling process for some reason or another. So... there's another thing to check.