Home Technical Talk

MAYA - 2 Pivot point's for snapping?

VISUALHAUS
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
VISUALHAUS null
Is there any method or script out there that gives you the ability to have 2 control points on an object so you can snap them independently on different objects? As currently, moving the pivot point and snapping to another vertex/point will disturb the previous pivot?

Cheers for any help! 

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    You can group the object and have different pivot
  • VISUALHAUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VISUALHAUS null
    I have uploaded an image of what I want to try an achieve. I want to be able to snap Pivot 2, whilst retaining Pivot 1. Trying to avoid having to manually rotate and guess, just want to be able to snap and have it exact.

Regards.

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Grouping will do the trick . If 2 object to the left have to move as one combine/group them [making group from selection is Ctrl + G] and place first pivot in first point then group them again and put new pivot in to point 2 , you can switch between 2 pivot with up and down arrows
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    there is two point rotate in the maya bonus tools...
    but i never managed to get the logic how its working... sometimes its doing what it should sometimes not...
    maybe someone could take a look at the code...
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu said:
    but i never managed to get the logic how its working... sometimes its doing what it should sometimes not...
    Can you point that out? I'm not seeing anything like that in 2018 bonus tools menu or associated plugins.

@VISUALHAUS I was looking into the same thing several days ago, and it's a tricky problem in maya because it needs to be cyclic. As far as I can tell, the ExoSwitch is the only bidirectional constraint out there. I think that a setup could be created in a weighted-like system, where you'd flip from one pivot to the other while updating their translate and rotate. Not too easy for me, at least.
  • eltarbos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eltarbos polycounter lvl 7
    I'm not sure to understand correctly but did you try the wire deformer?
    Just make a 2 points linear curve with lock length, then make a wire deformer with high dropoff distance value. It will give you a kind of linear deformer usefull for snapped rotations.
    I've made a small video a few month ago, hope it helps ( you just need to turn on lock length on the curve to avoid deformation):

• VISUALHAUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VISUALHAUS null
    Grouping will do the trick . If 2 object to the left have to move as one combine/group them [making group from selection is Ctrl + G] and place first pivot in first point then group them again and put new pivot in to point 2 , you can switch between 2 pivot with up and down arrows
    Sorry, I stuffed up explaining the second time. Both cubes had to be static and couldn't be moved whilst only the rectangle could be rotated and snapped :)
    oglu said:
    Do you know which version of Maya this was in? As I cant seem to track it down.
    eltarbos said:
    Just make a 2 points linear curve with lock length, then make a wire deformer with high dropoff distance value. It will give you a kind of linear deformer usefull for snapped rotations.
    I've made a small video a few month ago, hope it helps ( you just need to turn on lock length on the curve to avoid deformation):

Awesome! That actually worked a treat! Cool trick :)
  • VISUALHAUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VISUALHAUS null
    Sorry, I stuffed up explaining the second time. Both cubes had to be static whilst the rectangle had to be rotated by snapping. 
    oglu said:
    Do you know which version of Maya this was in? As I cant seem to track it down.
    eltarbos said:

Awesome! That actually worked a treat! Cool trick :)