Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Soldier Base Mesh Development and Anatomy Study (nsfw)

Replies

• Stealth23
    Offline / Send Message
    Stealth23 polycounter lvl 7
    I've done a bit more tweaking to the hands. At this point I'm going to leave the hands for a bit and get some work done on the lower body. Feedback is welcome though because I will be going back to them.

• Stealth23
    Offline / Send Message
    I've done a first pass at the muscle structure of the legs. It's pretty rough at this point and I want to get the positions and proportions of all the muscles accurate before smoothing it out so please critique.

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Most thing looks pretty good but for some reason gastrocnemius/soleus giving you some trouble , I would suggest shave some of gastrocnemius and build up soleus also clearly indicate where malleoluses are
    Feet position is a bit unnatural you could bring them together as I indicate on first image patella forward metatarsal of second toe forward that's natural position of foot

• Stealth23
    Offline / Send Message
    I've finally sat down to do those changes @carvuliero, thanks for the feedback and let me know what you think now.

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    There are few more thing you could fix
    Will be a good idea to plane the whole thing(same thing you did with fingers) using image and link as reference of cross sections so you learn correct volumes and how they change down the leg
    https://www.imaios.com/en/e-Anatomy/Thorax-Abdomen-Pelvis/Visible-Human-Project

• Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    I think the palm is a bit thick and the fingers are a tad to thin, so if you make the fingers a little bit more bigger and then the palm a little bit less wide you should be golden! 

But great process so far man, and I love the breakdowns youve done of hands, it really shows that you want to learn and improve! 
  • Stealth23
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback but I didn't see your message and did a smoothing pass on the legs without fixing those issues. I'm going to get some better reference sets for muscular legs tomorrow as the ones I've got now aren't cutting it, but after I get those I'll fix these up as best I can without reverting too much and leave the legs since they're ultimately going to be covered up for the mod.

After I finish this character base mesh I'll do what you've suggested and do a bunch of planar anatomy studies. So far this project has taught me a lot and I now know enough of the basics that I can do studies with proper context in future, but for now I'll continue with this model.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep going , rhythm and relations still need further adjustments  also overall balance between upper and lower leg forms
    What else left undone - head  ?

• Stealth23
    Offline / Send Message
    I found a another reference set on 3D.sk and continued working on the legs. I also tried to adjust the rhythm of curves as you said @carvuliero. I'm going to make some minor fixes tomorrow but if there's nothing major I'll leave them and move on to quickly do the feet.

After the feet I'm going to revisit the arms then attack the head. Here's the whole model so far with the polyskin material.

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    You doing great upper legs look pretty good ,but gastrocnemius and soleus still giving you trouble(check attached rar) also butt shape is more like a butterfly(butt->butterfly easy to remember) just slim gluteus maximus and widen medias

• Stealth23
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to fix the glutes and calf muscles along with a few other minor adjustments. It took me a bit longer than it should have but let me know what you think.

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Few minor adjustments and you will be good to go

• Stealth23
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to do those tweaks @carvuliero. At this point I'm going to stop with the legs, there's a lot I could improve but I'll just save it for some later anatomy studies. Next I'll do the feet.

• Stealth23
    Offline / Send Message
    Started on the feet after getting zBrush 2018 set up and I'm really enjoying sculptris pro. Currently I'm using the sculpt guides in Anatomy for Sculptors by Zarins Uldis and  Kondrats Sandis as my main reference.

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    You should post top view as well
    Looks like you did  good job of blocking out all major forms
    Suggestions:
    -make heel narrow it should be 1 :1.5 to widest point of the foot (metatarsal heads)
    -currently foot looks flat so  you can raise longitudinal arches , also check which parts of the foot touches the ground
    -you could do the same as with hands take a few pictures of your feet or take a piece of paper and draw a contour of it

• Stealth23
    Offline / Send Message
    As always thanks for the feedback @carvuliero. I tried to implement your suggestions and there's still a bit of tweaking to do but I'm probably just going to do one more pass on the foot and leave it, they're destined to be covered up so I'm not doing details at this stage.

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much same comment as before arch higher heel narrower +push last 3 toes back
    Check metatarsals curve (first image ossa metatarsi )

• Stealth23
    Offline / Send Message
    I've gone over the feet again and I'll probably tweak them a little more when I merge all the body parts together but here they are so far.

Also, I've started adjusting the arms again. I'm tossing up whether I should just redo the arms from scratch because I'm having some trouble understanding the muscles since I originally sculpted them a while ago. 

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    That will be a good idea to reevaluate proportion/rhythm when whole leg is present
    I think you should move leg part forward and probably width of toes is a bit short (widest part of the foot) you can check with knee width both should be about equal . Check tibialis anterior tendon it bridges between leg and feet and create specific plane change that you currently missing
    For sure if you have time do the arm again you will only gain new knowledge

• Stealth23
    Offline / Send Message
    I redid the arms and I'm far happier with this attempt. Let me know what could be improved.

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like thickness in front view is not quire there (too thin)
    Triceps tendon is much bigger then what you have
    You have madebrachioradialis and extensor carpi radialis longus too long both muscle bellies turns in to tendon about mid forearm + lacking some of the volume around elbow area
    Also check one more time high point in forearm its too even and round right now

• Stealth23
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried to implement your feedback @carvuliero. Thanks again.

• Stealth23
    Offline / Send Message
    I've smoothed out the arms and continued to adjust them slightly.

Here is the full character so far, I'm really happy with how the character is turning out but I'm trying to decide the best approach to continue.

Currently I'm thinking of doing a low detail head like the rest of the body, then combining and making a final pass to create the base mesh. After that's done I'll make the body more soldier like body (not as toned) and do details. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    You have the right idea just follow the plan you laid out
  • Stealth23
    Offline / Send Message
    I've started on the head tonight and it's very rough so far. I haven't done planes for the face before so feedback is greatly appreciated. Also, I couldn't find a good face plane reference for an African facial structure, if anyone has one I'd love to see it.

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    There might be but I am not aware of specific racial planer analysis , probably closest thing  I know of is golden ratio face mask but planes are pretty much the same proportions are different  .I am attaching asian looking head sculpture with planer analysis which should do the job  ,but  if you need something simpler use image below that
    I suggest you pick a reference point and compare side view features depth to it [I am using highest point on the brow but you can pick any point just don't move it ] Also check his skull high points and one more thing you can rotate a bit side view to alight ear hole and bottom of eye socket

• Stealth23
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been chipping away at the face for a while now and there's still a long way to go but here's my progress:

At the moment it's fully symmetrical using the right side of the references face (his right).

I continued with the planes of the face for a while but found myself adding detail earlier than planned but I continued with smooth detail because I thought it was working. Let me know if there's any planes missing. Thanks.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Most of major forms are there just have to tweak some of the secondary shapes .Probably biggest thing that is lacking at the moment is both corers of mouth and eyes .Go to a mirror open your mouth and see how your lips are meeting at the corners , same for the eyes slowly rotate your head side to side to get a feel for the depth around them
  • Stealth23
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again @carvuliero. I've tried to implement your feedback but may have lost some of it when I continued tweaking. I'm not sure how much further I will go with this face at the moment, I want a rough likeness to use as a placeholder as I start making costume elements for the project then revisit the face later on. That being said let me know of any issues, especially if there's anything major still wrong.

I'm having a lot of fun with this face and can't wait to do more.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    For a first try at head sculpting you did remarkable well , imagine when you learn some more anatomy what will you be able to do
    Nasolabial fold to lips transition looks smooth in the reference you have it over exaggerated .You could push even deeper corner of mouth and eyes [medial and lateral] , bottom of wing of the nose can go down -> in the reference is on same level as rest of the nose , also add more volume to the node of the mouth .Now as you have the head you should either slim the neck or make head bigger that will depend on the body
    Below are few reference of the eye structure so you can add cornea to the eye and correctly wrap eye lids around the eye

• kreativbloc
    Offline / Send Message
    kreativbloc polycounter lvl 3
    This is one awesome thread.  Love it. Keep it up! !!
  • Stealth23
    Offline / Send Message
    I've continued tweaking based on your feedback @carvuliero. At this point I'll leave the head for the moment, merge the body together, then go over the character making him less muscular and more physically unified.

Thanks for the encouragement @kreativbloc.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Before you do correct cheek bone , looks like bottom eye bad is sliding downwards along with the cheek bone , just raise that to correct spot
  • Stealth23
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been tweaking the body to try and make it more reasonable as well as fixing that cheekbone, thanks @carvuliero. Some detail was lost when switching to multiple subdivisions rather than dynamesh but that's made it a lot easier to tweak the form.

Any feedback is really helpful at this stage, especially concerning fat deposits as I'm still learning those.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Few area have to be balanced width wise and overall big masses alignment to be adjusted
    I have attached images that show different alignment so you can pick the one you want

• Stealth23
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks as always @carvuliero, I've implemented your feedback.

Also, I appreciate those posture charts. Since I'm making this character to be rigged with an existing skeleton I don't have a lot of room to move in that department but the charts are really helpful for understanding references.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    You could move few things around for example nipple and scapula , maybe even lengthening the hand [forearm + hand  is approximately 2 heads height ]