Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mclaren 650s GT3

null
Offline / Send Message
JoshJ3D null
Hi guys,
This is my first post on Polycount, I just finished my 2nd year at university studying Games Art at Staffordshire and wanted to share my favourite piece. This is the first vehicle I have made but will definitely not be my last. Looking for any feedback/opinions :)

Also any feedback on my Artstation would be awesome too!:)

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/P9wn4

model

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Tight first time effort, good poly flow hardly see if at all any distortion issues via that body shell reflective material and importantly the overall profile closely aligns with OEM refs I'd hit-up online. So no further crits other than I'd like to see you push the envelope aiming for an optimised texture mapped version for your next project a...fully grime, dimpled, dirt encrusted beast or whatever.

Cheers.

P.S:

My personal inspiration where automotive subject matter is concerned, possibly describes with artistic finesse what I'm rattling on about :D      

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nihilus polycounter lvl 8
    Nice!
    In terms of feedback id ask what youre rendering this in?
    In terms of real time it might be worth looking into UE4 and getting a super nice car material setup. 
    When cars are in such a clean condition as this one looks to be then a lot of the detail and realism comes from the paint and how its reflecting the environment. Things such as metal flakes, different layers (clear coat etc) and subtle variations in the values can help add a lot to a car render.

At the moment there doesnt seem to be a huge amount of variation in the dark materials in your images and they're missing a lot of the texture apparent on an image of the actual car.

In terms of detail you also seem to be missing  a few things such as rivets and the round holes on the bonnet look like they're in the wrong position compared to the real car. That and a few other minor details seem to lack depth and complexity - the hooks at the front joining the cars body together being an example.

The bonnet on your model also seems to be too flat, which is more obvious in this image.
    http://cdn.hiconsumption.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/McLaren-650S-GT3-Race-Car-1.jpg

Dont let me discourage you, its a pretty damn good model for a first vehicle but if you want to take it further id definitely look at your HDRI, the materials on the car, the fine details and some of the larger forms that seem to be off.
    Ive attached another reference that may help (reference is king when matching real world objects).

• JoshJ3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshJ3D null
    @Nihilus @sacboi

Thank you both for your feedback. I rendered it in IRAY, I did experiment with various car shader materials in UE4 but I did not like the renders that were produced in comparison to IRAY. Also, you got me. There are a few things that do not match up perfectly with the reference, it was a really tough car to model with Mclarens having all there annoying curves and stuff. I will take into consideration everything you have said.