Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Lewis Gun

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
Hello people!!

Well, I usually do medieval fantasy weapons, but this time I wanted to do a real weapon. The chosen one has been a weapon from first world war: The Lewis Light Machine Gun. I found it the other day and I liked its design, so I have decided to make a 3d version.

I always start looking for references. With this I not only find out about the details and general shape, but also about the purpose of the different components. This helps me understanding which ones need to be shown and how.

Once I have that I start by setting a scene with the most important references. When I have that I create a set of blocks with the general shape (silhouette). Then I start a set of interactions in which I go setting more and more details and refining shape:

Replies

• MarcoAntonio
  • MarcoAntonio
  • MarcoAntonio
  • MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    I am finally finishing the base model. 

The most important pieces have been set. There are some missing surface elements but those are going to be set using floating geometry.

Here you can see a very quick HP (using turbosmooth). It is of course not the final HP. Just a quick set up to see how the shapes turn out.

• AlirezaMorgan
    Offline / Send Message
    AlirezaMorgan polycounter lvl 6
    nice job man
    i recently modeled a Lewis for a mobile game and from what i'm seeing you got most of the details right
    although the stock looks a bit weird to me

• MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    nice job man
    i recently modeled a Lewis for a mobile game and from what i'm seeing you got most of the details right

mmmm. There are some differences on the metal objects but the stock looks right to me. What do you think AlirezaMorgan?
  • MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the high poly right now

• MarcoAntonio
  • AlirezaMorgan
    Offline / Send Message
    AlirezaMorgan polycounter lvl 6
    nice job man

mmmm. There are some differences on the metal objects but the stock looks right to me. What do you think AlirezaMorgan?

I Think The Curve is a bit too much. and the attachment with the screws and the bolts . isn't it a bit bigger ?
  • MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    I Think The Curve is a bit too much. and the attachment with the screws and the bolts . isn't it a bit bigger ?
    Yep. You are right. I will change it right away.
  • Kaine123
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    a lot of your edges look waayyy too sharp, you really need to soften them up. also could you change the preview material to be a bit darker with brighter highlights? it would make it easier to distinguish the hipoly aspects
  • MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 said:
    a lot of your edges look waayyy too sharp, you really need to soften them up. also could you change the preview material to be a bit darker with brighter highlights? it would make it easier to distinguish the hipoly aspects
    Yes. You are right.I will try to solve it and I will bring new pictures of the changes.
  • MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello people. NEW UPDATE!

I have been working on the high poly and I have finally finished it (almost). This is taking me more time than I thought at first glance (I thought that this project was going to take me 1 week and I will need 4 more days than that...). But I have finally get to the part where I will start making the low poly.

AlirezaMorgan said:
    Hey AlirezaMorgan. I have made some changes to the stock. They are maybe a bit subtle but I will definitely work more on it. What do you think about how it looks right now?
    Kaine123 said:
    Hey Kaine123. I still have to make those changes, but I have decided to make them inside Zbrush before starting making the bakes.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Nice work so far.  A really interesting weapon to model and IIRC I think this is the inspiration for many Star Wars weapons as well? Or maybe that was the MG42.

Something that may help you get the proportions of some of those pieces like the sling attachment is to look at photos of this weapon being held/used by people. This won't give you exact proportions of course, but when you see certain parts in relation to the human user, which you'll be much more familiar with, just a quick glance will at the model will tell you then that if the sling attachment was that small (as you had it originally), then the weapon itself must be like twice the size of a man. This is more something to do at the beginning when you are studying the model and trying to get to know it like a real life object as much as possible, and probably won't help nail the exact sizes of things, but maybe it will help in the future.

• MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work so far.  
    Thanks!
    Something that may help you get the proportions of some of those pieces like the sling attachment is to look at photos of this weapon being held/used by people. 
    Hey! That´s a nice idea! I will use it on future projects.
  • MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there! Well. I have finished the low poly models. After making them I made the UVs and used a number texture to find out if there were any distortions.

First the base weapon (with a total of 14574 triangles):

I did the same with the magazine (with a total of 5509 triangles):

After that I exported my high poly models to zbrush and used inflate deformation to increase a bit the bevel of the borders. This, after baking, gives a better read of the model. After that I made the bakes and this is the result:

• Deforges
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    Nice bake Marco. the finished model should look good
  • MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges said:
    Nice bake Marco. the finished model should look good
    Thanks Deforges!

Well, here is the modified versions of both AO and normals. I occluded parts that would show parts of the interior (which I did not modeled since this is supposed to be a game asset) and set some text that appears in real references:

• JustinT
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinT polycounter lvl 2
    It's coming along, keep it up!
  • MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinT said:
    It's coming along, keep it up!
    Thanks JustinT!!

In one day or two this will be finished!
  • Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Wicked progress - and very clean bakes! Lets see those textures ! :)

I was going to point out to start working with a high spec/glossy material when doing sub-d work, just so you can point out artifacts and forms much easier, but @Kaine123 mentioned.
  • MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d said:
    Wicked progress - and very clean bakes! Lets see those textures ! :)

I was going to point out to start working with a high spec/glossy material when doing sub-d work, just so you can point out artifacts and forms much easier, but @Kaine123 mentioned.
    Thanks Kanni3d! And yes. From now on I will use that idea. Since using zbrush and inflate deformation resulted in a good way to solve the problem, in my next project I will probably combine both strategies.
  • MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    It is done people!!!
    [I removed this project because it was too old]