Home Unreal Engine

Landscape painting follow brush direction?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Axemeister polycounter lvl 8
Hi there. I have managed to get some landscape blending to work and was wondering if anybody knows of a way to get a material to follow the direction you are painting? In this image for example, the tire tracks are what im trying to make and I want it to go along a curve like they are, rather than just being in a straight line. 

If not, does anybody have any tips on the best way to approach creating this type of thing? 

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Not exactly what you are looking for, Unreal doesn't really have such a thing by default, but you can try this out, in combination with some translucent or masked material with world aligned textures:
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Landscape/Editing/Splines

Otherwise you could export the landscape mesh as an obj or fbx out from Unreal, and just draw it on in your choice of modeling application, UV it straight, and call it done.

• Axemeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axemeister polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for that. I'll definitely try out the landscape splines. 

I'd already tried just simply having my second snow layer have a height of 0 so that when I paint it, it makes like a "dent" in the snow if you get what I mean, which looked ok. But that way I can't get the tire track texture on it. The way you showed looks a lot more promising!