Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First time uploading... Ogre Character

Kgizzi
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys. This is pretty much the first time I'm uploading a more or less finished project to the internet. I sculpted it myself but the design is loosely based on a character from a work by Weta artist Tom Newbury, whose tutorials I recommend. The sculpt was done in Zbrush, textured in Mari and it is rendered with Arnold in Maya. Hair done in Xgen. Any feedback and advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Arnold Render.

Zbrush BPR.

Replies

• Maxilator
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    Looks pretty good, I think you can go a bit further in making the skin more gnarly. Looks a bit too smooth and well kept for an ogre if you ask me.
  • GreyJke
    Offline / Send Message
    GreyJke polycounter lvl 2
    Try different lighting as well! For me it is the weakest part of this project.
  • Kgizzi
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
    Maxilator said:
    Looks pretty good, I think you can go a bit further in making the skin more gnarly. Looks a bit too smooth and well kept for an ogre if you ask me.
    Thanks man yea I definitely need to consider the secondary forms more before I finalize what the displacements it looks like. I thought I had more warts and divots in there, but once I put the tertiary form displacement maps over it they all seemed to get lost. This was my first time using UV maps and UDIMs so I definitely need to consider that more next time around.
  • Kgizzi
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
    GreyJke said:
    Try different lighting as well! For me it is the weakest part of this project.
    Yea man I tried, I have to tinker with it more. I do most of my sculpting at my laptop but can't really do the lookdev/rendering as well without my more powerful PC at home :'( The eye heights are asymmetrical so I was getting weirder looking results when I would have a defined angle of lighting with a rim light on the back. I know that's how models need to be lit though so I'm gonna have to figure that problem out going into the future =/ I think the angle of view and camera in general is a bit boring. I think I just need to spend more time figuring out the cameras in Arnold. I don't even have any depth of field in the shots yet. It works for me in keyshot but not Arnold yet for some reason. But yes I definitely need to try to figure out how to use more cinematic lighting and angles without making the model look like crap lol. Thanks.
  • Kgizzi
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
    Another question I had for you more adept Maya users than I... what is the best Angle of View to use in Maya? I used the default 53 or whatever the Maya camera has and it looked very awkward and warped for me. I sculpt with it set to 28 in Zbrush. Does anyone have any recommendations?