Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Pugtales

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
morepolys polycounter lvl 7
Hi all, wanted to share this finished piece I recently did in UE4. I've been using the engine more and more for concept art and decided to do a very Miyazaki inspired piece.  The original idea had many more shots but I just ran outta gas doing these scenes.  Hope you all enjoy!

Replies

• Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    You totally nailed the miyazaki mood :) I would be reaaaally interested to see more "behind the scenes" screens of those environments you made! Really good job abyway !
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Well that just looks fantastic, except for the pug. The completely different art style is really throwing me off there, why a cartoony comic book like character that's the only thing with an ink black outline in an otherwise sharper and more textured world?

Really stunning environments though!
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Fully agree with @FreneticPonies about the pug. Feels like a toon shader thrown on, with no attention to how it fits into the art style of the world. The environments are breathtaking, and the pug just feels out of place.
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros polycounter
    I personally like the pug, but something about the lighting on it is off. Maybe some more research into animal pose and anatomy would be a good idea, too?
  • morepolys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morepolys polycounter lvl 7
    @Olingova Heres a quick snippet of my though process for the first shot

As for the look of the pug I was trying to capture a scene from an anime.  Something like this

My thought process was essentially the background would receive a sort of painterly treatment via post process.  I used a Kuwahara filter to achieve this, but I didnt dial it up too much in my final renders.  While everything animated or in motion would be toon shaded, a good example of this would be Guilty Gear Xrd.  

Heres an early vis dev shot of the post processing in effect

Looking back I probably could have stylized the environments a bit more to suit the Pug look.