Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ciri Overwatch/Witcher Mashup

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
AgelosAp polycounter
<< Finished >>

######################################
Hey everyone!
Here is my new personal project, Ciri in the Overwatch universe/art style.
This feels like a big challenge for me because I 'm not using someone else's concept, but I really like the idea and gonna push through!
So I'll take any help I can get especially now in the design phase, I'm open to throw away anything that doesn't work.

Trying out the High poly render style as well.

Replies

• Tectonic
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    looking good! her legs might be a bit too long, maybe like 10% shorter?
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Superb job so far, and I agree with Detilium, but I think her calves are really wide and bulky. And I also think she should have her boots that she has https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/witcher/images/1/13/Ciri_Witcher_3_The_Wild_Hunt_Character_Sheet.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20141117154231

• dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    You completely nailed Ciri's face, man! I think that her shoulders and neck might be sitting a little high up right now, but you might be able to get away with just lengthening her neck to fix that. I tried a paint-over edit with what I had in mind but I'm not 100% if it matches with Overwatch's style, so I hope it makes sense. I tried to lengthened her arms and thinned out her calf armor by a little as well, to see how it would look.

She's looking awesome and I can't wait to see her low poly with textures! Keep up the great work, @AgelosAp!
  • AgelosAp
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @Tectoni, @Detilium Thanks guys, yeah Overwatch legs are super long, I basically copied Symmetra's body type for Ciri.
    @Nuclear Angel @dGreenberg , Thanks for the feedback guys, I had copied Mercy's boots because I didn't know what I was going to go with, since overall the boots in OW are very scifi and "armory" and Ciri's felt like wouldn't fit. But after your suggestion I think I'm gonna try out something closer to Ciri's original boots, very rough right now but you get the idea! Will try to mess with the shoulder height as well next.

I also changed up the girdle as the original square pieces felt too medieval, I'm trying out something similar to Tracer's gear since Ciri has a blink ability she could have a device as well(?).

And another HP render attempt closer to OW original style.

• AgelosAp
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Smaller update, as I worked more on the new boots, and shifted the shoulders a bit as per @dGreenberg suggestion, it feels more natural now.

• Vontadeh
    Offline / Send Message
    Vontadeh polycounter lvl 4
    So inspiring *-*
  • Polygons-Pusher
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygons-Pusher polycounter lvl 11
    I love it !  that's just awesome o_o
    My god make a figure out of it ! Please !

• karytsukino
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Oh! This looks so good. I love the way you mixed Ciri with the overwatch style. I cant wait to see the textures. Good job =)  
  • AgelosAp
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @Vontadeh Thank you!
    @Polygons-Pusher Thanks haha, I think I might be getting a couple of lawsuits if I sold a figure of this :smiley:
    @karytsukino Thanks Karina, hope I can finish this all the way to textures, been a fan of your work as well btw!

Update- Polishing all around, did the boots through 3ds max, and started experimenting with weapons.
    I did the original sword with a few edits to fit the OW style, but I might give a try towards a different way with guns, or daggers(?)

• HarlequinWerewolf
    Online / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    Stunning! I need to see more!
  • AgelosAp
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Thanks @LeahM !

Tried a few things for weapons, didn't like anything much and it seems that deviating from Ciri's sword might be confusing in the end. So worked more on it to hopefully push it more towards OW style.
    ps: I liked the infinity symbol guns idea so I'm posting it here, instead of forever forgetting and throwing it away!

• AgelosAp
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Changed up the torso device thingy, the octagon was a remnant from original Ciri, but I realized it didn't look alright at all.
    Other than that did some more polishing, removed the small symbols from the hands, and detailed the hair.
    Probably going to call it for the high poly at least for now, and start retopoing.

• dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    I think you made the right choice sticking with the sword; it really fits the character better and makes if feel more "Ciri." The sculpt is looking great and super clean too, man. Looking forward to seeing how the low poly turns out!
  • GreyJke
    Offline / Send Message
    GreyJke polycounter lvl 2
    Awesome mashup! I love witcher lore. Ciri`s actual "symbol" isn`t actualy a wolf, but a swallow. I don`t remember, are CDProject implement it in game or not... anyway, you can add that little reference to book series if you want.
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    This is turning out really nice!
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Fryingpan polycounter lvl 12
    Missed opportunity : calling the thread "overwitch"

Pretty nice work, I'm curious to see how it turns out.
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    dude what a great idea :) this looks awesome!!
  • Maxilator
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great! I'm not 100% sure on this, the arms and hands strike me as a bit off, the lack of indication of where the wrist is looks odd to me, and the arms seem to be a bit too short, but I might just get that feeling because of the lack of wrist. I think this worked better in the previous version where you had the cloth wrinkles there. Keep up the good work!
  • AgelosAp
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @dGreenberg, @Elithenia , @disanski Thanks so much, glad you like it!
    @GreyJke Thank you, didn't know anything about lore to be honest I just copied the one from the game. Swallow you mean the bird?
    @Lord Fryingpan haha, thanks man, maybe I'll name the artstation project :P
    @Maxilator That's a great point, I think since I removed the wrinkles and the little symbol there it's a little clunky and simple, I redid some wrinkles now before baking.

Just about starting to bake now, done with unwrapping! Aiming for around 30k tris + 6k for the sword.

• AgelosAp
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @Optimus thank you! I referenced o/w a lot for it

First texturing update, anisotropic hair just doesn't come out as good as blizzard's (it's not aniso here) if anyone has an insight to it please share!
    The stomach device thing still feels weird, I might swap it if I find something better.

• Mateus
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
    Looking really nice! The stomach device doesn't bother me at all.
  • Tectonic
    Offline / Send Message
    This was posted on polycount a couple years ago

the RGB map near the end that just has R and G channel, I think is the flow map for her hair. We have a similar set up at my job, though its for realistic looking hair. normal, spec, flow, ao, albedo.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    oh wow, this is turing out amazing!
  • GreatPersia
    good work but still need more detail..model is a bit simple...you could add more detail on cloth or on equipment
  • AgelosAp
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @Mateus thanks, that's good to hear!
    @Tectonic thanks, I've gone through that article a lot but they probably got a custom shader as well, or so I'd like to believe so it's not that I just can't figure it out!
    @lotet Thanks man, appreciate it!
    @GreatPersia thanks, I know the balance between detail and clean areas in OW is delicate, I've added some in this iteration might add a bit more before finishing.

Another Update for a more polished texture, and trying out the anisotropic hair here, it's so shiny and a bit all over the place, hopefully I'll find a way to balance it!

• Mateus
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
    Looking amazing! I'm loving it.
  • MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    OMG!! I love it!!!
  • AgelosAp
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Update on the hair and textures, kind of happy with aniso now, some polishing left to do and then posing.

• Tectonic
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! I like the hair a lot
  • Burpee
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking reeaallly good ! 
  • Lad
    Offline / Send Message
    Lad triangle
    Man this is sick ! Great job !
  • Svartberg
    Offline / Send Message
    Svartberg quad damage
    It's a shame we didnt get to talk on the earlier stages of your work. You've got some good stuff going here, however, allow me to offer some feedback. It's a little late for some of it, but hopefully you can take it to your next work

1. Silhouette
    As far as anatomy goes, you hit nice more or less realistic proportions. However, Overwatch characters, being designed with Disney style in mind, have a more exagerrated figure. Females have a more hourglass shaped figure, heroic males have large hulking shoulders and overall heavier than usual upper bodies. All the characters have really skinny ankles that play into nice contrasted silhouette. 

It's always nice to add clarity into silhouette, make it more distinguished, more readable. It is generally considered about 70% of all visual information and having unclear silhouette may be fatal for the whoe design.

Take a look how Blizzard artists break up straight and even lines with various garment elements. 

Looking at Ciri on the left, first of all, her overall figure might be pushed a little further in terms of proportions. Slightly bigger thighs and butt, slender waist. This is especially visible when you set the official renders side by side with your renders or overlay them in photoshop.
    You don't have to make the breasts bigger, this is a little overplayed really, so the chest area can be made visibly bigger with some fold trickery. 
    Plus, there are some missed opportunities for silhouette break up. 

- Where shirt is tucked into the corsete. Witcher model of Ciri has her shirt a little looser than it is shown here. This could be utilized to add a little visible fold in this area when stylizing the garment. Also, lowering the corsete a little bit may allow for a better mass distribution of a shirt. On the left render it seems too restrained, like it needs a little more space. This creates an illusion of a smaller ribcage and smaller chest region overall. 
    - Leather corsete, leather gloves and boots all are a little smooth. Actually, boots have really cool shapes around knees. This is a good example of a detail that serves the purpose of breaking up sikhouette. It's a major detail, not all of the details have to be this significant, but some minor folds are very needed in areas where they would appear on a real garment. Even if it's a stylized model, we still need to adhere to certain rules of physicality and material behaviour. So there would be folds around the waist, around straps, belts and areas of tension and folding like groin, elbows and back of the knee.

Bell shape of the leather corsete can be exagerrated a bit to help accentuate the layered structure of the garment. Areas like wrists and ankles need to be thinner than usual, especially with Ciri, who is overall rather small and delicate in physique. 

2. Color.

Almost all of the colors that you use right now are essentially the same color with different value. 
    This makes the texture look very monotonous and rather plain. 

To combat that, simply add variation. Sensible variety is one of the main principles of successful game art. To be honest, the original Witcher character has very nice color scheme, you could just adhere to that and it'll look great! 

3. Rhythm 
    The main problem with rhythm right now is that the character is way too monotonous at the moment. All of the elements are essentially parallel to each other and very uniform.

Here are some examples of elements breaking up the monotony of the forms.

There are no strict guideline as to what to do with the rhythm. You mostly gotta go with what feels right. :)

You can do different things like vary size of the folds. Smaller on the elbow, one larger above the leather bicep strap, you can skew the belt a little, or add some angled wrinkles at the waistline. Maybe adding some very slightly visible wrinkles on the pants could help as well. This is something you need to experiment with and get a feel for.

I guess that's what i got for now. If you decide to go back and fix the high/lowpoly, I'd hold off my advice on the textures.
    If you decide to keep going with this version of the mesh i could write up some stuff soon.

Hope this helps :)
  • AgelosAp
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @Svartberg Hey man, this looks great! Thanks for putting so much work into this, I'll go over it really carefully and see what I can do, generally speaking I don't mind going back to the high poly since there's no deadline and I just want to push myself with this piece.
  • Tectonic
    Offline / Send Message
    Svartberg said:

Females have a more hourglass shaped figure

Zarya disagrees:

that said, I liked svartbern's colour suggestions.
  • AgelosAp
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Finally back with the changes to high poly!
    Huge thanks to @Svartberg for his feedback, I hope I took most of it and applied it well!
    I did a round of changes on the device/buckles in hopes that they have a more unified design now.
    Ended up not doing folds on her ribcage or arms as nothing felt natural and seemed cluttered.
    Gonna do a bit of cleanup and start rebaking soon now!

• HarlequinWerewolf
    Online / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    Dang this is looking awesome! It's been a while since I last saw it. I like the updates, the belt device looks a lot neater and fits in a lot better with the rest of her outfit. I also like the details you're adding to break up the silhouette and the soft to hard edges. Can't wait to see it finished!
  • AgelosAp
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Woo, it's done, finished not perfect..!
    Once more thanks to @Svartberg for his feedback, it took a while to go back and redo things in the high poly but I think it was a hefty improvement.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/N6mwD
    Thanks everyone for viewing, and feedback is still very welcome!
    model

• Svartberg
    Offline / Send Message
    Svartberg quad damage
    Very good! I'm really digging what you did with the textures. Very subtle, really in line with Overwatch style.
  • Tectonic
    Offline / Send Message
    really awesome!
  • huroshal
    Offline / Send Message
    huroshal polycounter lvl 3
    what about textures ? have you used specific materials ? is it substance painter ?
  • AgelosAp
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @Svartberg @Tectonic Thanks guys!!
    @huroshal Yup it's just straight up substance painter, with pretty simple materials. I think I only used a smart material on the leather corset and went in and reduced the wear.
  • GravityBwlast
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    Hey @AgelosAp!
    That's a nice project, congrats on finishing it!
    I really like the pose and hair/face work, though her chin looks a bit forward.

Here is a bit of feedback I think could help improve the project:
    The textures/materials look flat in general and lack what makes Overwatch textures popping: gradients and grunge maps. Especially your leather currently look like metal because of the way you treated edgewear and the color of it. The edgewear should be a warmer yellow/light brown color and you should have handpainted the edgwear or at least used a base with your cavity, putting the dirt/grunge setting in your substance mask at 0.

I could go nitpicky and find other little things, but to me, the textures are what keeps your project from good to very good.

Here is a very quick paintover to illustrate what I meant, I hope you don't mind

I hope it helps, anyway good job on it overall, cheers!
  • AgelosAp
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @GravityBwlast Damn I wish you gave me this crit a week ago, the leather really looks a lot better! I'll disagree on the chin though so that saves me some regret, haha, maybe on this particular screenshot it's too accentuated but overall Ciri has a very protruding jaw which gives her character. Thanks for your feedback nonetheless I'll try and take it to heart for what comes next.
  • GravityBwlast
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    Oh you're completely right about the chin, I didn't even check on W3 screenshots, she indeed has this trait... My bad! I still think it looks a little bit to much but it might be the camera angle.
    Sorry I didn't see the thread earlier man! Anyway it's nice, looking forward to see your next project! 
  • AlirezaMorgan
    Offline / Send Message
    AlirezaMorgan polycounter lvl 6
    looks really cool
    i've been playing overwatch ever since it launched and you almost completely got it right 
    i would actually love to know how you guys texture stylized characters . is it still all ( mostly ) hand painted ? using smudge and blend tools ?
  • AgelosAp
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @AlirezaMorgan Thank you! No, at least for me ever since substance painter came out I use it exclusively, so I paint some masks and never actual color. Although I don't do diffuse-only models in which case I still think 3d coat has a better brush "feel" so I'd use that if it came up.
  • Donte' Hawkins
    Offline / Send Message
    Donte' Hawkins polycounter lvl 4
    Well Done! The small details really makes this piece interesting and stand out. I would have never thought of that blue streak in her hair. :)
  • Isunoj
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking awesome!
  • The_Legendary_Kupo
    Fantastic work looks great!