Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Sea Giant

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
anathen polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone!
Here is a new creature I'm working on in my free time, would love to hear opinions and critiques :)

Replies

• CarlCraft
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlCraft polycounter lvl 9
    Cool stuff. I'm by no means a character artist but I'd say the horns feel a little out of place. Are you working from a concept? Can you post it?
  • Skinner3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    The sea moon is falling? The moon is sinking into the sea? :D Is there a trident mask involved? :D:D:D sorry couldn't help myself.

Agreed with CarlCraft, reference would be nice. Or your concept sketches. Or if you are making this up on the fly, some of the images with elements that you want to include.
    The texture on this is going to make a huge difference. I could see this thing as any number of elemental/themed giants, because the spikes are kind of ambiguous. 
  • anathen
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the answers!

CarlCraft I agree with the horns being a bit strange, I will replace them!
    Skinner3D  I didn't quite get the sea moon falling reference lol 

As for the concept I made this moodboard after finished the early base, I was pretty much free sculpting and little by little moved towards some sea/swamp giant.
    I'm thinking about adding corals and sea fauna on his back and elbows , some fish scales for texture , a sumo fighter's cloth and perhaps a weapon but I'm not entirely sure he needs one.
    Let me know what you think!
  • Skinner3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, adding sea elements would help. He reminds me of a forest creature more than anything right now.

My first thought when I saw your model was the giants in Majoras Mask. They keep the moon from crashing into the world. Was trying to throw a water spin on that.

• anathen
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D I see :p I can see a ressemblance haha 

I tried to rework the face as I was not satisfied with the overall look, I also started breaking the symmetry/adding some details to make it look more like a sea creature.

• anathen
    Offline / Send Message
    Update time!
    I added details , broke the symmetry , made his "pants" and played around with polypaint.
    Also, I made a test render in keyshot and pretty happy with the result :)

• anathen
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress on the giant!

• anathen
    Offline / Send Message
    The 3 final images!
    I think I'm gonna stop here and move on to the next one :) pretty fun project overall and quite happy with the result.
    Opinions and critics are more than welcome!
  • CarlCraft
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlCraft polycounter lvl 9
    Final image is dope :) I really like the skin material.

Again I'm no character artist so take what I say with a grain of salt. When designing anything it's good practice to imagine how it would actually work. You can make a gun look cool pretty easily, but making it look cool and practical is taking it to the next level.

With this in mind how does your character "work"? I imagine it lives in the sea, so it would be practical for it to be a good swimmer. Webbed toes/fingers are pretty standard for fictional humanoid sea creatures, maybe some fins? Whatever elements makes you a better swimmer. Is this creature a predator? I see sharp teeth, but how would he catch his enemies? Maybe his corally elements make him blend in nicely with the sea, surprising his prey. If so, push it.

Another thing you can integrate in design is backstory. I see an anchor around his neck, does he collect prizes from his victims? Is he a human that was drowned with the anchor around his neck? Set a story and try to push it visually.

My point is not to nit-pick but rather give you an idea of how you can think when designing. I think you have a cool monster thing going on here but there are areas where you can push it further.

Also I think for final renders it's worth posing your character. This guy seems pretty top heavy with this his big head and anchor and thin legs, I imagine he would be almost crawling forward. 
  • anathen
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlCraft 

Thank you for the detailled answer! it helps a lot!

I have to admit that my "research" phase on this project wasn't as long as it should have been and I'll definitely be more thorough in the projects to come!

As for the backstory I'll start thinking about it :) I pretty much started that guy on a whim so there is much room for improvement.
    I don't think you're nit picking, the design can clearly be improved! 
    I'll make some changes and pose him as soon as I can.

Really appreciate your help!
  • Skinner3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good. I have no clue what the loop of the rope is on his back, but the materials looks good so I am ignoring it. :D
  • anathen
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D thanks! I as going for a simplified sumo mawashi on the back!

• Skinner3D
    Offline / Send Message
    lolololol well you accomplished it