Home Adobe Substance

Understanding the MatFX Rust Weathering filter

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
I'm playing around with the MatFX Rust weathering filter on a layer, but unless I'm doing something wrong I can't seem to apply it to a mask?

Id really like to control the rust's material properties/ mask some areas out but it doesn't appear to be an option with the way that I'm using it. Is this user error?

Substance Painter 2017.4.1

Replies

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    It won't apply to a mask because it's a full material rather than a greyscale mask. What you can do is create an anchor point on the MatFX Rust layer, and then on a new group's mask, add a fill referencing the metallic channel of your anchorpoint, and adjust the levels until you get what you want:

• fattkid
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Bek - can you elaborate on how to plug the anchor into the fill layer / mask?

I can't get your set up working.

Thank you.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    fattkid said:
    Hey Bek - can you elaborate on how to plug the anchor into the fill layer / mask?

I can't get your set up working.

Thank you.
    I think he's referencing this process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9mLZQKxPSo
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter

Every time I use  this anchor I have to search through my Evernote notes  to figure out where I forgot to switch something on.
     I have to dig into that messy interface, scrolling through gazilion similarly  looking sliders and it's not even a single thing I need to switch.   So I have to set something here then switch something there and don't  forget it works only if I put it there.   
     Really?   Why on earth it couldn't work just straight away.     Maybe a kind of a script? A function key?

ps. Thanks Allegorythmic for the feature . I know we couldn't have it all.   I mean it's hard to do something  easy and simple to use and flexible at the same time.  At least it's better than   group clipping from Photoshop.