Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dragon Sword - Feedback highly appreciated!

PaxTerra
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
PaxTerra polycounter lvl 8
Hello all! I wish for some feedback regarding my current project which is a sword made from reference. This is only the hilt without the blade, which was been sculpted in Zbrush with basemeshes done in Maya. Part of me feel that I still need to push more with Zbrush to avoid some of the cakiness. :)

The image below is from Substance Painter after having created a lowpoly and baked the normal map in said program.

Below is the reference I used: 

Replies

• jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    Nicely done, its a very close replica of the real thing. Is it all hand sculpted. Are you going to bake it down to a low poly mesh and use normal map or displacement? 
  • PaxTerra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 said:
    Nicely done, its a very close replica of the real thing. Is it all hand sculpted. Are you going to bake it down to a low poly mesh and use normal map or displacement? 
    Thank you! It is all handsculpted in Zbrush. The above picture is actually from Substance Painter so the model is already a lowpoly with a normal map baked in Painter.  I think I should've included something to make that apparent, excuse me. :smile:  
  • jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    Ah yes i must of not read that part. Maybe try and get some more white reflections in your model, if you look at the reference it has white reflections. 
  • artbychien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artbychien polycounter lvl 8
    The modeling is very well done, looking great.
    The only critique I have is adding more noises and imperfect details, also tweaking the reflection of the material.
  • PaxTerra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New renders! I added a new piece to the hilt to have a better transition from hilt to blade as well as adding the blade. The materials used are Painter's own and very basic. :smile:

(Still a bit unsure on the metal material on the blade. Does it look proper?)

• Quantm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quantm triangle
    Really nice hand sculpted replica. The blade look too straight and patterned dirt. Try add slight unevenness in reflection or even the blade itself. Otherwise the handle gives me kind of worn effect due to its low poly and low specular. I would pursue that and add some dirt and dust to make it old and dusty. Just my 2 cents ;)
  • PaxTerra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I added some wear n' tear to the hilt as well as to the blade combined with some scratches to show use. Turned out better than I expected. Thinking of moving on now to the next project, but I really liked how this one ended up! :D