Home Technical Talk

TexTools for Blender

Replies

• renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    MrOneTwo said:
    @renderhjs
    ..... Both Cavity and Dust just fill islands in black. I also try to make the mesh more dense but it changes nothing.

I really like the idea of Create Atlas.
    That is a big bug in the last release, i i will have an update tomorrow which will fix that.
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool

Update Version 0.9.7

Download & Documentation
    http://renderhjs.net/textools/blender/

What's new

• Bug fixes:
      Cavity map and worn are working again
    • Create Atlas:

Creates a single material with a texture atlas of each color. Each face's UV maps the color of the texture. This conversation is useful for realtime graphics such as Games or VR.
    • Preview Texture

Preview the current background image of the Image/UV Editor as a texture on the selected object.
    • Selection bake mode
      Bakes the face selection as a black and white mask.

Here is the new face selection bake mode in action

• Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    @renderhjs

Thank you for the new release! I've been testing the Rectify tool and it works great - however, I don't know if the intended behavior is that the island is deselected after being rectified?

EDIT: hum, strange, now I can't reproduce it...
    EDIT 2: Still unable to reproduce it, will update if it happens again.
  • Ckafee
    Offline / Send Message
    Ckafee polycounter lvl 8
    Gooday, 

i found to have the following error over and over again when i import 2 different objects into my scene. Next to the fact that the models arnt neat i dont understand how to work around the error, tried using other textool versions but the error keeps coming.

What is the fix?
  • Michael Knubben
    Hey @renderhjs
    Any chance you could have the ID map functionality create vertex colours instead of materials?
    I often have to bake Zbrush exports together with Blender exports, and while I prefer baking from materials in Painter, Zbrush's polygroup colours make that harder (they're often extremely close to eachother in colour).
    So we use Vertex Colours instead, and I now find myself looking for a way to streamline the convoluted vertex-painting workflow (in a way that's easy to teach to juniors, preferably) in Blender.
  • Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    Hey, i'm getting this error, the default blender baking tools are working fine, but this error keeps popping up, i think that maybe a bug, but if not, whats the ''workaround''
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Apologies guys there was a bug in the last version that would throw an error as shown above when baking high to low poly. This has been fixed with  a hot fix:
    http://renderhjs.net/textools/blender/Blender_TexTools_0.9.7.zip

Upcoming 1.0.0 has a lot of stability improvements regarding baking like restoring previous materials and faces of sub materials.

Michael Knubben 
    Any chance you could have the ID map functionality create vertex colours instead of materials? 
    Already implemented, will be out with 1.0.0

At some point there will be an option to also read from vertex colors into Color ID, but that will follow in a future version.

There is also an upcoming new bake mode: Material ID

• renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Some more upcomming changes for Version 1.0.0

Online help buttons for each section of tools

After great feedback from Jakro I changed the AO bake mode from Cycles to Blender Render with normalized enabled. The results are much smoother AO bakes with less samples and a much more even gradient distribution.

An improved Color ID creation from exisitng mesh elements and conversion to other color sets. If more colors existed previously exceeding elements are cycled through the new color range.

• johnas
    Offline / Send Message
    johnas polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks @renderhjs for the great tool, I used your 3dsmax version back in the day and really missed this in Blender.

Some small thing I'm missing are mirror tools, any chance you will add those in future?
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    johnas 
    I already have some code for the mirror tool in the repository and an icon

But it is disabled at the moment as it is very buggy and not yet where I would like it to be. The problem I have been facing in Blender is that UV verts are not shared but rather unique per face. So I have to detect UV clusters or UV verts of shared locations, this was much easier in 3dsMax.
    Will be working on this further in the future and hopefully crack it at some point :)

New Bake mode: Cuvature map

I shared this in the Blender Thread but I have been working on a new curvature baking mode as explained here or demonstrated in this blendswap.

It uses composite nodes to convert a tangent normal map into a cuvature map. I am pretty close on wrapping this one up, here is my current progress

The composite nodes are stored in an external blend file and appended temporarily to convert to the curvature map.
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @renderhjs , spent more time with the tool and still liking it a lot, but I have a question about Rectify.

I gather from what you said in this thread that particular component is not something you coded, but do you have any idea why it creates islands that differ in size and x-y ratio if you unwrap two identical pieces of geometry? I hope you see what I mean. e.g. Iron two instances of the same pillar trim, and get different results from applying rectify to them.

This behavior is a shame because it forces you to a lot of manual adjustments/eyeballing checker size, which is precisely the reason why I stayed away from UVing in Blender for so long. I feel I'm close to being able to do a full piece without leaving Blender, encountering this issue is the only time I've really had to fight the urge to go back to Max/UV Layout which is my usual tool set (but I resisted so far!)
  • Michael Knubben
    @Mant1k0re Sadly, the plugin @renderhjs uses is based on your active element. So take note of which face is highlighted, and make sure it's the same one for both islands. There's talk of him writing his own version, which I'm really looking forward to!
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    I see! Well, it is something to work with for now, thanks for the tip :)

EDIT: yeah, that somehow did the trick for the issue I reported, but then I realized it has several other flaws... somehow the texel density is showing unexpected variance on some polygons on the same continuous piece of geometry. Sadly I'm giving up on UVing my project in Blender for now. Close, but no cigar yet :) will check back in a while to see how development is going.
  • wannabe
    Offline / Send Message
    wannabe polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, great progress on that plugin. It comes really handy. I was wondering if there's any way to get the normal tangent bake option to bake to a 32bit float image. I tried creating the image manually "xxx_normal_tanget" but the float image got overwritten with a byte image.
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    @Mant1k0re
    but do you have any idea why it creates islands that differ in size and x-y ratio if you unwrap two identical pieces of geometry

I think that the rectifying is done at a UV level not aware of the orientation or scale in your 3D mesh. As such it is very relativ and works with the input orientation / scale of the UV selection. Will hopefully investigate a bit more on this stuff now that 1.0.0 is out.

@wannabe

any way to get the normal tangent bake option to bake to a 32bit float image

Didn't make it into 1.0.0 but will investigate for the next version. It's interesting I keep learning a lot about blender because of these questions that I have to investigate - thanks for the feedback.

Version 1.0.0 is out

Changes:

Preferences: Switch swizzle coordinates

Bake sets: set groups:
    You can group multiple objects into groups for the bake sets. This can be done in 3 different ways: 

name sequences:

assigning groups in blender:

parenting objects:

Improved AO Bake mode: 
    Using Blender Render and normalized enabled for smoother results

New Curvature Bake mode
    Renders tangent normal map then applies compositing nodes to generate curvature map

New Position Bake Mode

Color ID to vertex Colors

Create Color ID from existing material slots

Create Color ID from Mesh Elements

and lots of smal improvements

• wannabe
    Offline / Send Message
    @renderhjs : Glad i can help!

I just tried 1.0.0 and the ao bake seems to be broken for me. It gives me a black image everytime. Could anyone try if they get the same?
  • Michael Knubben
    Thanks for the Vertex ID Map baking, @renderhjs! Looking forward to trying this out.
  • Ruflse
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    Having used both versions, I really want to thank you for creating something like Textools for 3ds Max and now for Blender. Great tools!
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    Makes me wonder if I should leave Max for Blender...
    Great job
  • Ryusaki
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    3D programs are not forcing you to be in an monogamous relationship. Max won't be angry at you if you dance a little with Blender. So why not both?

To the Ninja: awesome update. I haven't even had the chance to use the plugin, and there is already an update filled with more useful stuff. Thanks a lot.
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    @wannabe
    wannabe said:
    I just tried 1.0.0 and the ao bake seems to be broken for me. It gives me a black image everytime. Could anyone try if they get the sam
    Would you happen to have a file I can test run? I tried it the other day without issues here.

Michael Knubben @Ruflse
    Thanks guys

@another caveman
    perhaps ;) I think its just fine using multiple tools in conjunction. The thing is with Blender and TexTools for Blender: It will always be free and available. No lock in rental fee. That's why I personal think Blender is a good time investment to learn.

More ninja updates

Been experimenting lately with a script that generates a new mesh that has the same topology as the UV map (e.g. vertices can be split in UV thus requires a new mesh to create). The plan is to have some kind of Mesh Texture tool like in www.automodeller.com 

Screenshot from automodeller

For this to work I had in mind using the Mesh Deform modifier on a mesh texture
  • wannabe
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a file. I am using blender 2.79 (2017-09-11) on windows 10.
    That new feature looks nifty!
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    wannabe said:
    Here's a file. I am using blender 2.79 (2017-09-11) on windows 10.
    That new feature looks nifty!
    Figured it out pretty quickly: Actually funny to me. It's the cage object that casts shadows on everything else. If you hide the cage in the bake process it's fine. Will work on a fix this was easy to find.

Must have missed this when I switched to Blender Render for AO bakes.

Edit: Turns out that Blender Render does not support custom cages. Will ignore cage models in this bake mode.
  • wannabe
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, makes sense. Blender render doesn't support cages in general right? Thanks for your fast solution.
  • Bostvic
    Offline / Send Message
    Bostvic polycounter lvl 5
    Been following this tool for a whilst; glad to see it in Version 1.0
    Been getting a weird bug, though, with the rectify tool. Not really sure what I'm seeing but I included a screenshot of the error message I got. I tried reloading blender and Textools but it didnt want to know. Weirdly, it worked once but when i tried it again it failed. Any ideas?

EDIT: Okay, so I stepped away from the computer for 10 minutes and it started working again. Not sure if it's a problem with Blender, Textool or maybe my PC?

• MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    So I tried to bake Diffuse (Color IDs) and that's the result:

Hard to give good advice how to replicate it because I just used default cube. Played around with colors, hit bake, got nothing (or whatever the image above shows) :(

Cool to see this tool being so rapidly developed. Also it's good to be using your tools again :)
  • Fizzly
    Offline / Send Message
    Fizzly polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome work renderhjs, congrats on the 1.0.0 release :)!

I played around with it a bit and might have found an issue with the AO baking. Could also be that I was expecting a different result. I made a test setup for baking a 'wall texture'. The normal map comes out fine using the cage, but AO doesn't seem to use the cage?

It looks like it just bakes the AO without a cage. Using the high poly during baking, but not in a projected kind of way. Is this intended?

I've added the blender file.
  • Tea Monster
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 13
    Oooh! This looks amazing, I'm checking it out, Thank you!
  • Zablorg
    Offline / Send Message
    Zablorg polycounter lvl 6
    Would it be possible for a bake to project its rays using custom normals data (i.e. Auto Smooth)?

I've been spending all day experimenting with editing Auto Smooth normals, and outside of using them in renders they seem to have extremely limited utility.
  • Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    I get errors quite often with rectify, it works well, then suddenly stops, there is any work around for that or maybe is something that i am doing wrong?

• jRocket
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    I am baking color ID's to vertex colors, but when I go to object mode, I cannot see my vertex colors anymore. Is there a way to either
    - See vertex colors outside of vertex paint mode?
    - Not clear color ID's when baking to vertex colors so I can still visualize them?
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani said:
    I get errors quite often with rectify, it works well, then suddenly stops, there is any work around for that or maybe is something that i am doing wrong?

It wasn't developed by OP, and it's quite frankly full of flaws in its current implementation, which is of course acceptable for something free...
  • CrowXD
    Offline / Send Message
    CrowXD polycounter lvl 4
    @renderhjs  This way Cool. This made everything that needs a UV unwrap a breeze, are you going to implement the Mirror/Symmetrical feature that was there in the max version? Anyways, Thanks for sharing such an awesome Addon, you rock.
  • jRocket
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't bake anymore :( When I select my high and low poly and hit the bake button I get this every time-

Halp!
  • BeeBeeDubyu
    This is amazing, I am working on my first project in Blender and wasn't very impressed with the UV tools, I cannot believe after coming back to Polycount after so long away that I find this straight off the bat. You are awesome and though I haven't used TexTools in Blender yet I know it will rock. Thanks for this. 
  • jRocket
    Offline / Send Message
    Found another issue... using Convert->Vertex Colors works on the selected object, but if you have any other objects with ColorID's in the scene, the ColorID's on those objects are obliterated. It also does not convert them to vertex colors.
  • hobodactyl
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    This is amazing! I've somehow completely missed this up until now. I've been using Blender pretty seriously for about 2 years but I've been really disappointed by the UV mapping options, so I'm super excited to start playing with this! Thanks @renderhjs !
  • kamilozo
    Offline / Send Message
    kamilozo polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks @renderhjs for the great addon! Now everyone can baking like a pros! :D

From time to time I checked new update from Your BitBucket account to try new features, and I have some issue when I try to bake a tangent normal map. Normal looks wird:

Maybe It is some bug or maybe I just make some mistake. I don't know. If You need I can send my blend files.

• renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    @kamilozo Likely not gamma corrected 32 bit float. From:
    https://www.cgcookie.com/articles/bit-depth-how-compression-affects-normal-maps 

Perhaps I make the 32 bit float optional in the settings
  • kamilozo
    Offline / Send Message
    kamilozo polycounter lvl 3
    @renderhjs Thanks for your quick answer. Now it's all make sense for me. One more time thanks for Your help. You doing a great job I can't wait for new features. :)
  • Michael Knubben
    @renderhjs Bit of a spoiled request, but: I currently name my highpoly meshes _HI and lowpoly _LO, any chance this could be added to the list of recognised naming schemes?

edit: oh, you haven't updated the post yet, so: http://renderhjs.net/textools/blender/
    A new version of Textools is out!

• renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    @Michael Knubben:
    @renderhjs Bit of a spoiled request, but: I currently name my highpoly meshes _HI and lowpoly _LO, any chance this could be added to the list of recognised naming schemes?
    No problem added it to the code, will be included in the next release

New release 1.1.0

Download

Release notes
    http://renderhjs.net/textools/blender/log.html

What's New

Mesh texture tools
    A new tool to wrap meshes like textures around your objects. Consists of 2 tools: Create UV mesh and wrap selected UV mesh and Mesh Texture.

Bake mode: Displace
    A Blender renderer feature: A bit like a depth mask on a normal projected basis. Great for mesh displacement in engines or 3D packages.

Bake mode: Wireframe
    Quick bake of the wireframes as a black and white mask. Perhaps in some cases just faster than exporting the UV layout manually.

Bake mode: Legacy AO and AO
    As the previous AO baking mode (using Blender render engine) didn't support cages I decided to add the Cycles AO baking mode as well which supports Cages. The Legacy AO mode will have in many cases nicer results because of the normalized feature it uses but for cages use the now normal AO mode.

Select flipped UV islands
    Simple tool to selected Flipped UVs. It will select any UV island that has at least one UV faces flipped.

Color ID from directions: 2, 3, 4 or 6
    Process that me and a friend came up with years ago and that we used for hand painted 3D models or pixel art renders.

These models for example uses this technique with unique directional colors for up, left & right, front & back

Bake 32 bit float mode added
    New option in the addon preferences to change from 8 bit per channel to 32 bit per channel texture baking. Make sure you read the CG Cookie's guide on normal map baking in 32 bit  as you still may have to convert the baked texture back to 8 bit using dithering.

Apart from the new features a lot of bug fixes have been addressed with this release, more on that in the release notes http://renderhjs.net/textools/blender/log.html
  • brandiqa
    Offline / Send Message
    brandiqa null
    This latest version of  Textools is super awesome in baking. It has all the bake types I need to create a PBR material. I've decided to try baking out planks onto a low-poly mesh. I've used a cage to bake out the perfect normals. However, baking out the AO and the displacement is another story.

On the right is the high poly mesh made up of planks separated by a gap of 0.5cm. On the left I have used textools to bake out the displacement and AO maps. If you look at the gaps in the map, the color is not black as it's supposed to. I have tried baking with a cage on/off. I've also inserted a plane across the high poly mesh but I still get the same result. Any idea of how I can fix this?
  • Lord Berandas
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Berandas polycounter lvl 9
     One of the best addons on the market!

Just a quick question – I toggled something somewhere and everytime I re-unwrap my mesh it's layout gets organised like this:

it's applied even when I delete the UV map and create a completely new one from scratch. How can I toggle it back to the original behaviour? (the padding doesn't have effect on this)
  • SaintSellotape
    Offline / Send Message
    SaintSellotape polycounter lvl 6
    Wrap meshes does not work with such parameters.

• RawData
    Offline / Send Message
    RawData polycounter lvl 3
    Hello, great tools great work. I have a couple questions. 
    1) similar to max relax tool and more likely similar to maya unfold tool, can a tool be added? And maybe something like maya layout tool, a tool that will scale, rotate uvs and pack in 0-1 space. So small polygon islands in 3d, takes less space in uv. 
    2) can we bake an alpha for our tilable sculpts, something similar to zbrush grab alpha doc function, or can we use one of the existing bake option for this purpose, so use it in Painter as height map? 
    If there is something in blender that can be used for these requests which i dont know, please let me know. 
  • marsilainen
    Offline / Send Message
    marsilainen polycounter lvl 6
    Oh wow! Definitely going to try this out.
  • gnanasai
    Offline / Send Message
    gnanasai null
    renderhjs  Thanks For Amazing Addon, Baking Process is made very Easy. Please add PROGRESS BAR, or some NOTIFICATION when finished The Baking  :smile:

• Michael Knubben
    @renderhjs
    One thing I do a lot in unwrapping is making sure a cylindrical UV Island's (think arms or legs) left and right (or bottom and top) seams line up, and it's a hassle. Can you think of a way to automate this, preferably with u/v clamping (so it only moves on the selected axis).
    Another problem I run into often is that I straighten and pin edges, but then there's no tool to relax the spacing of those vertices to match the mesh (after mesh edits, or just when the straightening result in wonky spacing)
    Do you think any of that fits in Textools?
    Also, you've mentioned wanting to develop a system that tags an edge as 'straight' and automatically keeps it that way when unwrapping, are you any closer to developing that at all?
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Very useful tools, just as expected !

If anything I'd have only a few suggestions :

• Whenever applicable, having as many commands as possible also appear inside the default "U" UVunwrap menu : things like Iron Faces, Peel Edge, UV Smoothing, and so on. Basically anything that operates at the mesh selection level without any interaction with the UV/Image editor.

(and on a related note, making sure that all these also show up through spacebar search too).

• Having offset UV buttons, with a few presets (1unit, 1/2, 1/4, and so on)
    • For island rotate, having the option to rotate around the center.

Thank you for your time !