Home Technical Talk

need help on unwrapping

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Simon_____ polycounter lvl 5
hi i am working on a mech and have come to the unwrap, i have mirrored and reused as much as i can, however im struggling to fit everything onto one uv sheet and making sure nothing is pixelated, im wondering for a modern AAA game like titanfall 2 would they constrain everything to one sheet or is it more important to make sure nothing gets pixelated?  

Replies

• Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not sure if this is a good well to tell if things are pixelated or not, this mech is designed for a third person game so you wont be awfully close, i cant really see to much pixelated areas but i'd rather have fresh sets of eyes and someone who knows more about these things 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It's highly unlikely  a titanfall mech is doing anything that simple.

For a hero asset using several large maps is perfectly OK and in the case of something like titanfall they'll be doing a load of shader trickery on top of that to ramp up the awesome.

Base your decision  on texel density - if you don't know what that is, have a search, it's been a hot topic lately
  • Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the reply, i have been looking at texel density recently for an environment piece im working on, i had a quick test with my current uv using 1 4k texture sheet, i tested baking my wip highpoly to see if anything was distorted, i think things baked ok? - the main issue im having is trying to work out how big uv islands need to be on a 4k sheet, im not used to dealing with them  

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    What you need to know is whether it looks good at the closest intended view distance.  That determines the required texel density and thus the size of the islands on your texture. 
    You have to test it in game to be sure. 

If you don't have a a game to put it in,  pick a number (512 pixels per metre would be a good start for fairly close up stuff on a modern console /pc)