Home Technical Talk

Modular meshes vs Modeling all in one go

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
so, i've been getting some hate from this forum for asking too much :c but im sorry i need to ask this one question.

Ive made a thread in unreal engine forum, about modular mesh, but their admin with the title "MEGA" in it responded and said to not use modular meshes for simple object like wall cuz it would increase build time and overall complexity. However, based on some youtube tutorial (especially this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaUt1p3PQvo) a lot of people seem to prefer modular meshs. 80.lvl also has a lot of cool breakdown regarding environment modeling in unreal engine, and lots of them use modular workflow, and they can put all of their assets in one go (which i think is really cool). 

So my question is, should i use modular workflow for environment creation that purpose is only for rendering cool shot. It wont be used as a game level, but it will be used as a portfolio piece.

P.S. and if i do need to do modular workflow, is simple wall with substance material is okay to be made modular? I like the option to be able to vertex paint for vartiation in UE :/ 

Replies