Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] Character Art - katarina - male skin - FemCharles

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
FemCharles greentooth
Hey!

I don't have much time but i thought i would join in and hope to do as much as i can! Hopefully i can finish on time.
I haven't made any male characters so i thought this would be a good opportunity to dive in a create a male! My idea is to gender swap Katarina with her original skin. Basically just make a sexy male rogue.  Wasn't sure if it would count as a reskin, i did ask in the Q&A but did not get a response so i think i will just roll with it.

Here is my moodboard:

I will post some concepts later.

Good luck and have fun!

Replies

• Goldo_O
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    Really interested in your idea! I hope you'll find the time to complete it.
    Can't wait to see what he will look like. :)
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    @Goldo_O Thank you! I hope i can finish it too!

So i have done some quick sketches. I hope people can make out whats going on with my scribbles!

As you can see from my reference pretty slim build with some muscle details but nothing over the top. I want to keep the sassy personality of Katarina but still have a dishonest look about him (since he is a rogue and all.) Here is a quick few faces to get a feel. I think currently i am leaning towards B. The red hair is pretty iconic, keeping it long but isn't as feminine as the other long hairstyles.

I also done some quick sketches of the upper body. There is a few variations of clothing from the in game model to the cinematic so i took some time to look at those. There is elements i like from all 3 designs so i might do a mix but i have to work out what i want to symmetry in my final model. I'm leaning towards twist of fate outfit because i like the asymmetrical design, although i will need to symmetry some things and simplify for readability.  

Any thoughts are welcome!

In the meantime i will move onto the sculpt and start blocking out the anatomy.
  • Utte
    Offline / Send Message
    Utte polycounter lvl 2
    Haha, I like the idea! Following! It's fun to see others choosing Katarina aswell, but with a totally different take. In the intro they wrote that they won't judge the idea, just the quality of the work, so this should be alright :) I like the C hair, but I have a thing for sidecuts, so..
  • liemnguyenart
    Offline / Send Message
    liemnguyenart interpolator
    Such a cool idea and liking the progress. Me personally wished he showed more skin so you can really let the anatomy shine. Maybe you can try a unique half leather top design similar to tryndamere so he can show off his sculpted chest. Just a thought xD.
  • gyllenhaal
    Offline / Send Message
    gyllenhaal polycounter lvl 3
    he needs a long hair like taric  :D
  • Iced_Latte
    Offline / Send Message
    Iced_Latte triangle
    Beautiful sketches :blush: I'm also liking the B variation for his hair and D for his upper parts! Bon voyage!
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    @Utte I like C as well! I will probably try a few styles when i have blocked more of him out.

@liemnguyenart Yes! i am going to try a short jacket showing off the chest! I'm still undecided if that's the direction i will go but i will definitely try it in the blockout stage. 

@ I think the long hair  that's down works well on taric because he has such a big build. I would be worried with my character that has a slimmer build, long hair and the camera angle, it might just read as katarina (the female)! But the red, longish hair is iconic for Katarina so i do want to keep it in some way.

@Iced_Latte Thank you! I think will try a mix of the ideas and see how it starts to feel in 3D.

So here is a quick screen grab of my current progress from zbrush. I started fleshing out some of the anatomy and getting a feel for the face. The hair is temp. I'v still got some work to do on the lower half but i want to make sure my anatomy is correct, especially since the design is showing a lot of skin. Anyway let me know what you think! :)

• Iced_Latte
    Offline / Send Message
    Iced_Latte triangle
    @FemCharles Ooohhh Anatomy is always tough but he's looking good so far! I'll be looking forward to the lower parts as well :)
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    @Iced_Latte Yes! It takes some time to get it right :)

So quick update. I did a paintover of my blockout to try and finalize a design. I ended up using a mixture of the two different outfits from the cinematics and the in game model. I then added some of my own ideas and tried to simplify the design for easier readability. I would like more asymmetry however i'm also thinking about mirroring in the texture. I put most of the asymmetry in the top half since that is what mostly will be seen from game cam.  Katarina is mostly readable from her pose and daggers since her outfit is pretty skin tight. I still wanted to try and break the silhouette as much as possible though so put more emphasis on the hair and shoulder pads. Anyway it would be great to get peoples thoughts! I'v already started on blocking out the design to see if it works in 3D :)

• FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Hey everyone. 

I have done a pass on blockout for everything. Sorry it's still blobby in places! i just wanted to get everything into roughly the right position and test it from game camera angle before i refine anything! 

Here is some screen grabs from zbrush of what i have so far. 

Some tests  with game camera angle.

Any feedback will be most appreciated! I really want to push myself on this and improve where i can :)  
  • TouijriHamza
    Really nice ly done character model , i like the gender swap , even if it still at a certain distance gives the female vibe but still pretty well done !
  • Art1ficer
    Offline / Send Message
    Art1ficer polycounter lvl 2
    YA BOI! 
    Love this design! Keep it up!
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Offline / Send Message
    shayleen_hulbert interpolator
    OH THIS IS GUNNA BE COOOOLLL <3
  • sstoev
    Offline / Send Message
    sstoev polycounter lvl 2
    awesome dudeee ... very nice idea and execution ... there are a few small things that you can improve - scale down the shoulder pads (they look very heavy), I personally would remove the braid, it covers too much of his neck. For the hair you might try the modern long on top and fading sides type of hair cut, I think it might look cool :D keep it up ;)
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    @TouijriHamza Thank you! I'm glad you like it.
    @Art1ficer Thank you! Yay for gender bends!
    @shayleen_hulbert <3
    @sstoev Thank you! I think heavy shoulder pads are ok since you have characters like Garen who have ridiculously sized shoulder pads. I think using them to break the silhouette would be a good opportunity. I think it's okay for the braid to cover the neck, since your mostly going to see the hair not the neck from top down anyway, although i think removing the braid and trying something more like ponytail might be a good opportunity to use the hair to break the silhouette more. I really like the long on top and fading at the sides, i did originally try that but unfortunately i just felt like it didn't really read from a distance. It's a shame because it would of been a cool hair style to have! Thanks so much for the feedback sstoev. I'm going to have a think about these things and try some stuff :)

Anyway here is a current update from zbrush. It's taken me some time, Once i started looking closely at Katarina i realized how many details she's got! still got some extra bits to go

• chemotoledo
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    Its looking good so far :) I'll like to watch more once you have develop more the shapes and details, I'll just play a little bit more with the shapes, to make a bit more interesting curve/silhouette :)  
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looking good, I really think you nailed the gender conversion. my only crit would be make the neck a little longer and broaden the shoulders.
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    @chemotoledo Thank you! Is there any particular area/shapes you think i could push further? When i was looking at Katarina design, it is very tight to her body and does not break the silhouette much. I think what makes her readable is her stance, daggers and hair from a distance. I tried to push the silhouette where i can but if you have any suggestions for improvements that would be really appreciated! I think i have been looking at it for too long haha

@lotet Thank you Lotet! I will check the length of the neck and see if i can broaden the shoulders more. Thank you for the feedback!
  • chemotoledo
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    Sure, I understand what you say, and I think you are right, maybe what I think that it can help a little bit with this, is to put a bit more of a male silhouette, like a bit more contrast between the shoulders/back and the hips, I was watching LOL male champions, they have this male proportions, I'm not saying like Darios or Garen, but even thinner champions like Jhin, Kayn, Yasuo, Master Yi, etc that are like agile/mobile characters, has the contrast of a bigger back then the hips. I think this can help, and maybe a bit of  contrast on the arms and legs anatomy, I think that right now its a bit flat. You have this nice swords and armor that its helping on this, just maybe a bit more with anatomy shapes ;) Anyway, your character its looking so good ^^
  • Iced_Latte
    Offline / Send Message
    Iced_Latte triangle
    He's coming along nicely :3 I agree with chemotoledo about pushing the shapes of his body. Think about his build is effected by his play style. 
  • leoartz
    Offline / Send Message
    leoartz polycounter lvl 11
    Nice to see your entry Charlotte :smile: looking forward for your updates. 
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Great work flow, best of luck.
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Hey guys. 

Been busy so it's been awhile! 

@chemotoledo Yes i completely agree! I'v been struggling with this a bit so i hope the changes i have done are an improvement. Thank you so much for the feedback

@Iced_Latte Thank you, I agree too!

@leoartz Girish! How are you! It's been so long, i hope you are well. Nice to see you on here, i hope you are joining in as well. I'm going to try and find your thread so you best have one ;)

@littleclaude Thanks Neil! 

So i changed some of the proportions. I Lengthened the neck like lotet suggested  which made a massive difference. ( i think i already lengthened the neck in my old image in the gif. so you will have to scroll up to previous image to see the difference there.) The shoulders are wider, hands and feet larger and the legs thicker. I flipped some parts like the hair plait to the other side to break the diagonal line of the belt to help draw attention up towards the face.  I think overall the body has a more interesting shape as the lines read less straight. Let me know what you think! I will probably move onto the low soon due to time but i can always make adjustments within the lowpoly stage :)

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Definitely better!
  • GravityBwlast
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    Hey that looks super cool!
  • yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    yararstss polycounter lvl 6
    Adjustments greatly improved his silhouette, especially shoulder width. Nice :)
  • RogerP
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Yeah changes make it look way better. Looking good!
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Ah thank so much everyone! I am glad that the changes are an improvement :smiley:
    I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and you are enjoying your holidays.

So after some fresh eyes i came back to the sculpt and made some changes. I ended up completely reworking the face. The previous face was way to young looking. I scaled up the head and made him more masculine. I think this works much better with the rest of his body. I ended up changing the hairstyle to a ponytail. I think this makes him a bit more visually interesting from behind and the side. 
    I was chatting to a friend about how difficult it is to make him look cool with a bare chest and a crop top (it's a pretty hard look to pull off.) I always felt like katarina's midriff tattoo was iconic so i wanted to keep it. My friend suggested a t shirt that had been ripped/slashed to reveal the tattoo which i thought was a pretty cool idea, so i added that. I also finished off the main dagger. 
    I'll spent some time tidying up some elements and then move onto the retopo.

Let me know what you think of the changes. Here is a quick screengrab from zbrush

• MaKuFX
    Offline / Send Message
    MaKuFX polycounter lvl 4
    woh !! face looks crazy !!! awesome !!! 
  • TheIceWolves
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceWolves triangle
    yess long hair <3
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    aw, I miss the braid, other then that its looking good!
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    @MaKuFX Thank you!
    @TheIceWolves I'm glad you like the long hair :smiley:
    @lotet N'awww. I liked the braid too but i had exactly the same braid hairstyle on my character i designed last year for artwar so i thought i should do something a bit different. I'm obviously subconsciously braid crazy. Thanks lotet :)

Hope everyone had a fantastic new year! This is my first post of 2018:

So i finished the low, uv'ed and baked my maps. Still needs some clean up here and there. Currently comes in around about 8900 Tris, that includes the weapons. Will probably make some adjustments to the low as i start to texture. My values might be a little messed up because my monitors at home are a bit crappy so will double once i'm back at work.

Happy new year everyone! 
  • Art1ficer
    Offline / Send Message
    Bake looks rad! Waiting for those nisu handpaint textures!
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Hey!
    So i have been chipping away at the textures here and there. I think i will do some touch ups in some areas, however, since time is running short i'm going to move onto getting my final presentation ready and start thinking about poses. Any feedback on the texture will be much appreciated. 

Here is a quick shot:

Quick test over map

• Goldo_O
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    So cool to see him in-game! He fits perfectly into the environment, very nice work on the textures!!!
  • Iced_Latte
    Offline / Send Message
    Iced_Latte triangle
    @FemCharles Hey! It's been awhile! There's so much progress on him XD I would love to see some wireframe stuff too! Love the textures so far :)
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    @Goldo_O Thank you so much!
    @Iced_Latte Thank you! Here are some of the final shots that include the wireframe ;)

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and support. It's been great seeing everyone's work, which is all looking amazing! So finally, here are my final shots (I may tweak some things here and there, so feel free to give some feedback.) 

I'm currently getting together a viewer which i will post up later. It's been fun and i learnt a lot! Good luck to everyone, i look forward to seeing all your final pieces  :)

• GravityBwlast
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    Hey, it looks great!
    The compositing shots over the map are super clean, the character fits well onto it. 
    Good job!
  • yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    yararstss polycounter lvl 6
    Beautiful ofwork from the beginning to the end, FemCharles. Great presentation.  =}
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Nice work, looks great! congrats on finishing! :)
  • Art1ficer
    Offline / Send Message
    He looks awesome @FemCharles! Congrats on finishing and good luck! My only suggestion - bluish-grey material of highpoly render bit hard to read on blue background make one of them warmer, either material or background. 
  • Goldo_O
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    Congrats FemCharles! You did it! :) Super clean finals and presentation. Very nice work indeed!
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    @GravityBwlast Thank you! Your final shots look great!
    @yararstss Thank you <3 Your Lumberjack Darius came out great!
    @lotet Thanks Lotet!  I hope you finish yours off at some point. The sculpt was looking amazing, it will be great to see the finished thing!
    @Art1ficer Ah man you're totally right. I went too blue. I think i will warm the material up for the final submission! Thank you for the feedback :smile:
    @Goldo_O Thank you!! Your finals are amazing, i love all the VFX you added as well ( I totally wished i done some as well after seeing yours ;))

Great job everyone!  B)
  • Howling Carnage
    Offline / Send Message
    Howling Carnage polycounter lvl 5
    I love it. It would be really neat if Riot could actually introduce gender swapped skins, but then again I guess it could cause a bit of confusion for a handful of players. Will you be uploading the model to Sketchfab as well? 
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    @Howling Carnage Yeah i would be really interested to see all the characters gender swapped!
    I have just uploaded the model :smile:

model

• Howling Carnage
    Offline / Send Message
    Howling Carnage polycounter lvl 5
    It looks awesome, best of luck in the contest!
  • Utte
    Offline / Send Message
    Utte polycounter lvl 2
    You did it! I'm happy to see that so many I followed during this contest actually finished it, and finished strong! Good job!
  • Kazefield
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazefield polycounter lvl 3
    Good job :3 Your renders are great !
  • Zeiroty
    Hello, I loved your art and wanted to know if it is available to be used in game in the league of legends itself, I would be very happy to be able to use a skin as beautiful as this, if possible send me the download link if you have. .. I'm new here, so I still don't understand how things work ...