Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - VFX

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] - Nalmoth

null
Offline / Send Message
Nalmoth null
Hello !

This is my thread for my VFX entry. I'm gonna work on some nuclear stuff, with an automated missile as my projectile, and a radiation status effect ! On this project, i'll be more onto semi-realistic VFX than fully stylized.

I'm currently a student, and I'm pretty new to the Polycount community, even if I read a lot of articles and threads :p

Here are my references :

Good luck and have fun !

Replies

• Nalmoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nalmoth null
    - Update 27/11 -

In the past few days, I worked on the motion of my missile, and on the shader that I'll use for the explosion. Here are some gifs : 

The particles are not definitive, and are only here to symbolise the motion. I had to tweak a lot the animator curves to have something decent. I think I'm gonna do more tests to find the perfect motion. I want something dynamic and fast, not the so classical and slow "nuclear missile".

I used Shaderforge here. This shader was quite simple to make, but it's not optimized for now. I will mainly use it for the final explosion, with a mesh who will dissolve.
    There is a blend of vertex offset for more randomness, and some classical noises textures.

Here's a look at the shader tree.

That's all for now ! I think I'm gonna use a Houdini approach for the smoke trail of the missile, and I will create some more stylized textures and particles for the UI elements, like the horizontal billboards around the launching sphere.

Thanks for reading ! :smile:
  • Nalmoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nalmoth null
    - Update 15/01 -

I'ts been a long time since I posted some content. After finishing some school projects and others game jams, I'm back in the game !

Over the past month, I learned some tips about shaders, so I mostly worked on updating mine. I added some maps and noises to upgrade it.

With this shader as a base for my smoke, I tried to simulate a missile trail :

I think I'm gonna find a way to make this big smoke cloud more realistic. It will be better with some particles.

I said that I'll be using Houdini for my smoke, but I really enjoy this method, and doing all my core VFX with only one shader is a funny challenge !

I hope you liked ! :smiley:
  • parag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parag polycounter lvl 4
    Oh its beautiful <3

• Nalmoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nalmoth null
    Thanks !

Here is a small update. I changed the main texture, and created some morphers to animate the smoke for the missile launch.

The green is fine, though I'll use a red/orange gradient for the reactor smoke.

The base is complete; I need to create some particles and trails to upgrade it.

I cannot wait to combine all of these elements ! :smiley:
  • Nalmoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nalmoth null
    - Update 29/01 -

Last update before final submission !

All the animations are done, I'm working on some particles and it should be fine :smile:

I wanted to have a very dynamic motion, so I created strong/cartoonish timings ^^ But I think I will do more tests with a slower nuke mushroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDaoyoNRAHk

• Nalmoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nalmoth null
    -Final Submission -

Hey ! That was a really interesting contest, and I learned a lot by practicing and testing with this project.

Here is my final work : 

https://youtu.be/WRDS4e9kOUk

GL HF everyone ! :blush:
  • parag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parag polycounter lvl 4
    I would really love to take a look at your shadergraph 
  • Nalmoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nalmoth null
    Sure !

Sorry if it's a bit complicated, I mostly did some tests and created a lot of similar features ^^ I wanted to have one big shader that does everything. This can be optimized.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me :smile:
  • parag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parag polycounter lvl 4
    Nalmoth said:
    Sure !

Sorry if it's a bit complicated, I mostly did some tests and created a lot of similar features ^^ I wanted to have one big shader that does everything. This can be optimized.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me :smile:

Thanks alot .. that graph is huge .. Lets see if I ll be able to understand it :)