Home Career & Education

Survey: Do you click Sketchfab/Marmoset Viewer links?

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
I swear I'm not being paid to say this.  :|

I was digging around and I found my old Sketchfab account from 2015. I checked in and I'm surprised how many new features they added. So much so, I think I want to use it as a substitute for doing real time renders instead of downloading a game engine.

With some ideas I have in mind, I just want to gauge if there's anything that prevents you from checking out art in real time model viewers. If you have any additional reasons, post them here!!

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Yes, I click them all the time!
    Missing a neutral option. Would have preferred a "Yes, generally" type option. I don't always have a specific reason, and the reasons when I do have one vary wildly.

Edit: Also, adding one underneath the usual screenshots wouldn't hurt. That way people can look if they want to pry for whatever reason, or ignore if thats their preference. No need to limit yourself to one or the other.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    No, the performance is too slow/laggy for me.
    i usually avoid them. they make the browser here stall for a good while downloading and i just don't want to risk a crash and lose my (many) open tabs. been there and all that.

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yes, if only the art is really good.
    Only if I want to see that particular asset in 3d. Typically I more often click low poly projects or ones that will be very quick to load
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    No, I don't click them
    Its usually not quick enough and Images convey what you want to see most of the time anyway. 
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    lotet said:
    Its usually not quick enough and Images convey what you want to see most of the time anyway. 
    I see what you mean. Without a "gimmick", it feels like you're looking at a screenshot that you have to wait for it to load.

What inspired me to get back into model viewers, is that I remember people made some cool low poly environments with them.
    http://polycount.com/discussion/186966/low-res-street-scene-wip
    http://polycount.com/discussion/153397/256-town/p1

That's a scenario where I feel like screenshots couldn't compete with. I'm also very interested in VR support has been added to Sketchfab.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Only if the art is really good. And usually only after screenshots have grabbed my attention. One of the biggest mistakes I see people making is on their artstation posts, putting the 3d viewer at the top and the screens below. 

When i click the thumbnail to go see that art, the first thing that greets me is a huge blurred out window with the 3d viewer. Unless I am reaaaly interested, i just skip it without even scrolling down to see if there was images. you gotta operate in today's 5 second attention span economy and cut through the noise with a bomb ass screenshot to get the attention first.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    That is as close as you get to: only if the art is interesting. Downloading them for study in a browser is pretty quick here, so that isnt an issue.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    On mobile, it seriously interferes with me bothering to look.

Images always win out in that context, for me.

On desktop, it's hit or miss. Mostly, if I want to see the maps, and study how light interacts with the object, I'll check it out. Otherwise I tend to pass.
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    BagelHero said:
    Missing a neutral option. Would have preferred a "Yes, generally" type option. I don't always have a specific reason, and the reasons when I do have one vary wildly.

Edit: Also, adding one underneath the usual screenshots wouldn't hurt. That way people can look if they want to pry for whatever reason, or ignore if thats their preference. No need to limit yourself to one or the other.
    Thought the same thing. I'd have voted for "click them from time to time". I click them because it's a great way to study modeling techniques.