Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Environment Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Cristian Villalobos

flowpoly
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
flowpoly polycounter lvl 2
Getting into the contest even though there's only two weeks left because I am a mad man. Posting stuff once I come up with something! Thanks for taking a look!

Replies

• flowpoly
    Offline / Send Message
    First sketch! Gonna start modeling now that I have an idea of what I want to make! :)
    Edit: Included references. Got started with a sketch and came up with an inhibitor that utilizes the wood elements found in the environment. Also tried to push the idea of having a face on each side of the inhibitor. I did not want to make it too obvious though! 

Lastly, trying to figure out if I want butterflies, plants, and maybe someone trapped inside the crystal! I also thought of adding butterflies or small animals on the inhibitor almost the same way as it is done on certain parts of the map!

Edit: some progress on the concept! Hopefully I start modeling soon, a lot of catch up to do!
  • flowpoly
    Offline / Send Message

And the modeling begins! :)
  • flowpoly
    Offline / Send Message
    Bunch of updates!

• flowpoly
    Offline / Send Message

Made a few changes, hopefully I finish it tomorrow as I need to get started on the last model before the 31st :open_mouth:
    I need to make the crystal look nice, add grass or moss on the stone/wood and anything else that is missing!
  • flowpoly
    Offline / Send Message

Getting closer to being done! Added reference images up top! Sorry for the GIF's low quality, I don't know what happened to GifCam lol!
  • flowpoly
    Offline / Send Message

Gotta do a few last touches, but it is pretty much done! Time to move to the next model!
  • flowpoly
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello hello! Started figuring out what I wanted to do as a second model. Decided to go for the wolves camp. I realized that making a cave sort of thing would be kind of the same, so I started brainstorming ideas. From making a well of some sort to making gigantic mushrooms...And then it hit me! What if I add a destroyed caravan and make that the "cave". I also realize that I can use this for storytelling too which would be quite fun to make. I thought that since they are wolves, maybe they turned someone into a werewolf and that someone was a king...perhaps that king became Warwick? Not sure about the lore on that side of things! I am gonna read a little about it just in case. Here's a really awful sketch on top of the wolves camp!

I am probably just going to start modeling right away tomorrow. I might also add some moonlight hitting the crown and the stairs of the destroyed caravan.
  • flowpoly
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a picture of the inhibitor in the environment! I have to change some of the colors and their values. 

And here's a quick block-out for the second piece!

• RobertTerritory
    Nice work on that inhibitor!  I can imagine those little butterflies flying around, adding movement to your piece :)  If you have time, maybe toning down the highlights on your texture a little bit.  For instance, if you compare your wood texture you made to the one found on Summoner's Rift, the wood grain is not as visible.  Something to keep in mind when you start texturing your creep den :) 

Keep it up!   
  • flowpoly
    Offline / Send Message
    @RobertTerritory Hey Robert, thanks for the feedback! I definitely want to tone down the highlights on the texture. I also want to change the color of the rocks a little bit!
  • flowpoly
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if I will be able to finish, but I shall give my best! I have to remake the cart because it does not look too broken haha! The whole piece is under 1k tris so far!
  • flowpoly
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! I won't be able to finish both pieces for the submission. I ran out of time and had a lot going on this week! Thanks everyone that gave me feedback and took a look at the project! I truly appreciate it! Even though I did not finish both models, I learned a ton! Good luck finishing everything up, can't wait to see the final submissions!  :)